This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Graphics card detecting as wrong card

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Graphics card detecting as wrong card

User Info: ImperialDragon

ImperialDragon
2 months ago#1
So I started up my computer today, and my screen was down at minimum resolution and noticed it was trying to install device drivers. Thinking something catastrophic was happening I turned off the computer. Turned it back on, same deal without the driver install. Ran dxdiag and there was no graphics card detected and the NVidia control panel wouldn't pop up. Ran system restore, same deal as before, this time I let the drivers install.

Drivers install, and it says GTX 760. Problem is, I have a GTX 680. Restarted the computer, still saying 760, so I downloaded new drivers from NVidia and did a clean install. NVidia control panel is saying 760 as well, as is dxdiag.

Started up a game just to see if the card was still operable at all, and the framerate seemed fine along with the card itself heating up (to the touch, don't have a monitor installed). So, obviously, something is wrong but I don't know what. The way the case is oriented it is hard to actually see if the fan is spinning on the card so I'm about to do that next, and the other thing I was considering doing was plugging the card into a different slot on the motherboard to see if that made a difference.

Does anyone have any insight? Computer itself is fairly old so I've got a lot of worries, but the card is much newer, though it wouldn't be the first card to go bad.
EMPTY [IIIII-----] FULL
The WTF!?-o-meter is currently... Normal

User Info: maybecalls

maybecalls
2 months ago#2
Hmmm, sounds a bit.............bizarre.

Try GPU-Z and see what that identifies it as. It has temperature sensors, too.

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/gpu-z/

ImperialDragon
2 months ago#3
Can confirm the fan is working on the card itself.
EMPTY [IIIII-----] FULL

User Info: Fade2black001

Fade2black001
2 months ago#4
I mean if its working fine and you notice no difference in anything, don't worry about it. It could be a bug in the software
Put on a smile cause Jesus loves you

maybecalls
2 months ago#5
It has to be a bug, unless someone has sneaked (snook?) in and swapped out your graphics card. 680 and 760 have different tech. specs. (eg Number of shaders, which GPU-Z will show).

User Info: ArkonBlade

ArkonBlade
2 months ago#6
what brand of 680 do you have?
YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/ArkonBlade/videos
PSN - ArkonBlade XBL - The Wolf Shadow STEAM - ArkonBlade

ImperialDragon
2 months ago#7
EVGA, 4gb
EMPTY [IIIII-----] FULL

User Info: DivineWraith

DivineWraith
2 months ago#8
maybecalls posted...
has sneaked (snook?) in

Snuck is the past tense of sneak. :)

maybecalls
2 months ago#9
DivineWraith posted...
maybecalls posted...
has sneaked (snook?) in

Snuck is the past tense of sneak. :)

Cheers!

ImperialDragon
2 months ago#10
I haven't downloaded the program mentioned, but absolutely everything is reporting a 760 instead of the 680. Nvidia control panel, steam, dxdiag, device manager are all saying 760. The statistics for the card are being reported accurately as well, just the name is different. Like I said earlier it seems to be preforming fine, but I made a physical copy of every important piece of information. I'll try swapping the slot it is plugging into tomorrow morning perhaps, but as of now I guess I'll just go with it. If it catches fire or something I'll just have to get a new card/mobo/everything.
EMPTY [IIIII-----] FULL
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Graphics card detecting as wrong card

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived