This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How much would it cost (cdn) to upgrade my pc?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How much would it cost (cdn) to upgrade my pc?

User Info: Spire88

Spire88
4 weeks ago#1
Im not 100% but I think I have an intel express chipset family 82945g and 1.89gb of RAM on XP pro, and I was wondering how much it would cost to upgrade it to something better YET inexpensive.

Im not looking to play Overwatch in 4k at 120fps, I just want something to play older 90s, 200x era games. Like Doom 3, Tron 2.0, Condemned criminal origins. Doom 3 works but just barley.

Any ideas on some cheap solutions other than getting a whole new pc.

User Info: Death_Born

Death_Born
4 weeks ago#2
If you're still running XP Pro you have some serious problems. Microsoft stopped supporting it, so it has major security holes that leave you wide open to hackers. You should definitely get a new PC, ASAP.

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
4 weeks ago#3
Any bargain basement build will be leaps and bounds beyond that old heap, and allow you to play older games. Hell, throw something like a 1050/1050ti in it and you should be set for the newest games as well (assuming you get a halfway decent CPU). And yeah, you shouldn't be using XP anymore, it's terribly insecure.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii-U | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES

User Info: candlefighter

candlefighter
4 weeks ago#4
What's Your budget, TC? Inexpensive can vary from person to person.

User Info: h3IIfir3pho3nix

h3IIfir3pho3nix
4 weeks ago#5
candlefighter posted...
'F*** no. You want Nintendo games? Suck it up and get a Wii U you big fat babies'. - DemonicChaosXX
'Pretty sure this is the Nintendo mission statement' - DXMG

User Info: Spire88

Spire88
4 weeks ago#6
candlefighter posted...

About $100-$150, maybe $200 but it depends on how much it will cost for the repair.

My hard drives made a made a spin up noise followed by a click and taps and it kept freezing durring startup.

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
4 weeks ago#7
Spire88 posted...
candlefighter posted...

About $100-$150, maybe $200 but it depends on how much it will cost for the repair.

My hard drives made a made a spin up noise followed by a click and taps and it kept freezing durring startup.

I wouldn't bother, a new hard-drive alone will cost you close to/over $100 depending on capacity. You need at least $500 for a low-end build.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii-U | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES

User Info: SinisterSlay

SinisterSlay
4 weeks ago#8
Sorry tc, you need about $600 cdn to even get started. Closer to $800 to get a bare bones sandy i3 with 4gb of RAM and a nvidia 740.
About $1000cdn for a basic build. And about $1600 for a midrange build.

Instead, look on kijiji, maybe you can find something a little newer that's at least upgradable. What you have now can't be upgraded.

I often see staples has decent $300 machines that you can put a $200 1050 in it and have a basic gaming machine.
Also ignore Americans suggesting budgets. They have no clue how bad it is here.
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/NndFf7/zotac-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-4gb-mini-video-card-zt-p10510a-10l
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence

User Info: godplaysSNES

godplaysSNES
4 weeks ago#9
You can probably find an old graphics card capable of playing those games if you search the rubbish tip

But those games are no problems for any modern PC. Even an old Core 2 Quad or i7 920 with an 9600GT, if you can find that for cheap, would be more than enough.
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!

User Info: fallen_acolyte

fallen_acolyte
4 weeks ago#10
TC.. where in the promise lands are you?

Are you in ontario > toronto?

In china town theres a few computer shops that have a lot of outdated products where you can buy for cheap to upgrade within your specs but dude... 150-200? that wont get you far... maybe a few upgrdes to play league of legends.
()___(_______()~~
PSN: Fallen_Acolyte XBL: Fallen Acolyte
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How much would it cost (cdn) to upgrade my pc?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived