This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How much would it cost (cdn) to upgrade my pc?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How much would it cost (cdn) to upgrade my pc?

User Info: Spire88

Spire88
1 month ago#11
fallen_acolyte posted...
TC.. where in the promise lands are you?

Are you in ontario > toronto?

In china town theres a few computer shops that have a lot of outdated products where you can buy for cheap to upgrade within your specs but dude... 150-200? that wont get you far... maybe a few upgrdes to play league of legends.

British Columbia, the Okanagan vally.

There aren't many cheap places for computer shops, the guy I took mine to charged me $40 to see why my hard drive made that sound but he couldn't figure it out.

And the cheapest used "upgraded" pc would be about $239.

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
1 month ago#12
$240 is really cheap for any kind of complete PC.
Your best bet might be to sit and wait for a deal on a prebuilt like the Alienware Alpha or some such. Those can sometimes go for <$200, and they're about the best thing you could hope to get in that range, more than capable of doing what you want and more. Something like that would be golden up to about 2010~2013, good enough for 2014~2016 mostly, and will probably struggle with big releases from 2017 and on.

Aside from that, you're looking at APU territory. At the very least, you need a new CPU, motherboard, and RAM, simply because anything compatible with what you're presently using is no longer sold at retail and not worth the asking price or risks on the used market. This will likely cost $150 just to get started, assuming you have a harddrive already(sounds like you don't, so that's another $50+) and that's without tax or shipping, for some very low-end parts that should work for your needs, but will struggle to keep up past that.

If you can hold off for seasonal sales in december, you might get some deals there, or keep your eye on Newegg.ca shellshockers for a really cheap combo deal.

There's also a lot of ~$100 refurbs using Core 2 series CPUs. You could slap a $50 used or bargain bin GPU(without a dedicated power connection) in there for $50 and hope that it doesn't all fall apart, but it's a sketchy solution. Also, make sure it's a standard ATX or MicroATX tower. A lot of these workstations use proprietary form factors and won't fit an expansion card.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud

User Info: ArkonBlade

ArkonBlade
1 month ago#13
You best bet would just to abandon that thing. Get a Dell OptiPlex with a I3 2100 or 2120 for like $50- $60 (not sure what that is Canadian) Just toss in a GTX 1030 or RX 550 and call it a day. That should run every thing you want to play just fine.
YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/ArkonBlade/videos
PSN - ArkonBlade XBL - The Wolf Shadow STEAM - ArkonBlade

User Info: qeoijlijw

qeoijlijw
1 month ago#14
just go outside and play hockey, eh
a

User Info: Fade2black001

Fade2black001
1 month ago#15
Isn't Intel Express Family Chipsets only on laptops?
Put on a smile cause Jesus loves you

User Info: Cards_and_Hats

Cards_and_Hats
1 month ago#16
There is a point where upgrading becomes more of a hassle, more expensive and less efficient than buying something new

It is safe to say you have reached that point
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How much would it cost (cdn) to upgrade my pc?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived