This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

EU Commission Report: Videogame piracy leads to 27% more sales in the EU

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. EU Commission Report: Videogame piracy leads to 27% more sales in the EU

User Info: Lonestar2000

Lonestar2000
2 months ago#1
https://cdn.netzpolitik.org/wp-upload/2017/09/displacement_study.pdf
Rumble Roses. Someone enters the room. Them: O_O Me: What?! I always play games without my pants on!- Inmate 922335
#ImpeachTrump

User Info: MrTuna

MrTuna
2 months ago#2
makes sense

Somebody I know has does this on more than one occasion
GT:OG Kush Man | i5 4690k | EVGA 980Ti | 16 gigs ram | 1TB HDD | 250 GB SSD |

User Info: SinisterSlay

SinisterSlay
2 months ago#3
Tc read all 300 pages of that?
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence

User Info: tzuyd

tzuyd
2 months ago#4
The topic title aligns with current prevailing theories about capitalism.
I sexually identify as a 100% inoffensively correct person. My pronouns are 'yes', 'uh huh' and 'absolutely'.

User Info: DaedalusEx

DaedalusEx
2 months ago#5
To recap: EU pays for study. Study finds that "in general, the results do not show robust statistical evidence of displacement of sales by online copyright infringements," but notes that piracy did hurt top blockbuster films, and conversely helped video games. EU doesn't like conclusion of study, tries to bury it.

User Info: Jason_Hudson

Jason_Hudson
2 months ago#6
DaedalusEx posted...
EU doesn't like conclusion of study, tries to bury it.

Sounds like the EU. So glad we won Brexit. I just wish the rest of Europe would wake up and leave the EU themselves.

Anyway, I suspect people would pirate games less if developers would put out demos or trials for their games, and I'm not talking the buy it and refund it s*** (which a lot of people don't want to do in case it puts their account in bad standing). Most people just want to make sure the game runs well and is worth the price of admission. Their only option is piracy or risking it with the refund system.
Specs: i7 4790k@4.6GHz |EVGA 1080 FTW| 16GB RAM - GLORIOUS PC MASTER RACE!
TRUMP IS THE GREATEST US PRESIDENT!

User Info: arleas

arleas
2 months ago#7
DaedalusEx posted...
To recap: EU pays for study. Study finds that "in general, the results do not show robust statistical evidence of displacement of sales by online copyright infringements," but notes that piracy did hurt top blockbuster films, and conversely helped video games. EU doesn't like conclusion of study, tries to bury it.

This is sorta like how everyone had told Valve that they were wasting their time trying to expand into Russia because Piracy was so rampant, and they changed the pricing of the games and made sure to translate games into Russian so that the pirated copies were effectively worse than the real deal anyway.

The "prevailing wisdom" in the business world is often not all that wise.

http://www.pcgamer.com/gabe-newell-on-piracy-and-steams-success-in-russia/
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
FC: 3325-5440-8407 Dream Code:5E00-0013-7C61

User Info: dermoratraken

dermoratraken
2 months ago#8
I've spent considerably less money since i stopped downloading stuff. But, we let corporations that sue grandmothers be in charge of the anti-piracy narrative for the last two decades instead of actual evidence.

User Info: DaedalusEx

DaedalusEx
2 months ago#9
Jason_Hudson posted...
Sounds like the EU.

Sounds like any governing body that has a cozy relationship with big business, honestly. Here's the best bit:

The decision to not publish the full report didn’t stop EU from making use of its findings when it was convenient. According to Reda, the Commission published figures from the study in a 2016 academic article highlighting the negative impact of piracy on blockbuster films while negating to include information that showed a lack of evidence to suggest piracy is harmful to other industries
http://www.ibtimes.com/eu-buried-study-found-no-impact-piracy-entertainment-industry-2592661

User Info: JowyBlight

JowyBlight
2 months ago#10
And the part where it says it cost them €360k to do the study and thinking it would be "Ha! This'll show 'em!" and then they didn't publish it when it didn't have the results they wanted.

The link in the OP seems to be dead too. Wonder why they'd bother to take it down now. Just like the pirated files, once it's been on the net you're not gonna do damage control.
"Riou...you came. Just like you promised. ...here we are ...here once again."
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. EU Commission Report: Videogame piracy leads to 27% more sales in the EU

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived