This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

EU Commission Report: Videogame piracy leads to 27% more sales in the EU

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. EU Commission Report: Videogame piracy leads to 27% more sales in the EU

User Info: Black_Assassin

Black_Assassin
2 months ago#11
in b4 cranky hermit
Want to cure diseases with your spare computing power?
http://folding.stanford.edu/

User Info: Hi C

Hi C
2 months ago#12
Jason_Hudson posted...
DaedalusEx posted...
EU doesn't like conclusion of study, tries to bury it.

Sounds like the EU. So glad we won Brexit. I just wish the rest of Europe would wake up and leave the EU themselves.

Anyway, I suspect people would pirate games less if developers would put out demos or trials for their games, and I'm not talking the buy it and refund it s*** (which a lot of people don't want to do in case it puts their account in bad standing). Most people just want to make sure the game runs well and is worth the price of admission. Their only option is piracy or risking it with the refund system.

Publishers did studies showing demo's potentially hurt sales of their s*** games more than help them so they don't make them anymore.

Pubs know their products are s***. There is a reason why demo's don't exist and sponsored early reviews and embargoes do.

Now they're pushing real hard into the youtube shill scene.
I5-4590 | ASUS H97i-PLUS & VS239hp | 8GB Ballistix Sport | 1TB+2TB WD Blue | Cooler Master N200 | ASUS GTX 960 Strix 2GB

User Info: GoIrish80

GoIrish80
2 months ago#13
So........what's the point. That piracy should just be a-ok and there should be no desire to curtail it? Is that seriously what people are going to say?

User Info: SinisterSlay

SinisterSlay
2 months ago#14
It's downloaded on my phone if you want the pdf back
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence

User Info: GundamMonX

GundamMonX
2 months ago#15
GoIrish80 posted...
So........what's the point. That piracy should just be a-ok and there should be no desire to curtail it? Is that seriously what people are going to say?

I don't advocate piracy if you have the money to pay for it. But this study means, at least, that the videogame industry needs to take a hard look at the facts. If they're focused on their bottom-line, and piracy leads to more sales, then what they've said before about piracy is not only untrue, but also that they've actively been working against their best interest.

If I made X product, and some people were illegally copying it, and that causes me to get 27% more money than if they didn't copy it, then I personally would be fine and dandy with that.

This study negates the claim by game studios that "[X] game didn't sell well because of piracy!" It's an age-old tactic to deflect blame from themselves onto other people for their failures to make a profitable product that people want to pay for. To build onto that, it also negates the claim that "We need more/better DRM to prevent piracy, because it loses us sales!" DRM may not cause any hardware/software problems, but it being there is pretty much a flag to me that whoever's selling me the product doesn't trust me.
"If Keanu Reeves didn't look so non-Asian, he would never have made it into Hollywood."--LuminescentRule

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
2 months ago#16
Soooo, bring back demos then.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

User Info: LazyyAmerican

LazyyAmerican
2 months ago#17
Same old s***...ideas layered on top of more ideas.
Apathy....the epitome of evil or something.

User Info: YukitoRambo

YukitoRambo
2 months ago#18
Only companies which are confident that they made good games will close one eye on piracy. ie.: CD Projekt Red.

Other companies put too much power to ignorant executives rather than developers for creative decisions on gameplay content and design, and they know they can't sell their s*** like honest men, so they use dirty tactics such as

1. Use addictive Skinner-Box-like gameplay design that doesn't necessarily make a fun game, but are proven effective to exploit mankind's psychology to hoard resources. You can see this in many MMORPGs. Basically turning players(who otherwise hate the game themselves, but can't stop playing "for some reason") into zombies who are addicted to seeing a piece of pop-up text saying "YOU ACHIEVED SOMETHING" without any real return; not even to their enjoyment of the game.

2. Employ inaccurate, misleading, and sometimes outright false, advertising. Spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on marketing to convince people that their games have something they really don't. This also extends to pre-order exclusives and promises of sustained DLC support throughout the game's shelf life.
"Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed" - Alexander Pope
The cranky hermit 2 months ago#19
There's an important detail that everyone jumping on the "see, piracy is good!" bandwagon is missing. A lot, actually, but this one's important:
The overall estimate is 24 extra legal transactions (including free games) for every 100 online copyright infringements
...and...
The positive effect of illegal downloads and streams on the sales of games may be explained by players getting hooked and then paying to play the game with extra bonuses or at extra levels.

So it seems more like piracy is good for crappy freemium titles, and only because at least 24% of pirates suck at pirating and steal gimped versions that don't already have all the content unlocked.
http://thecrankyhermit.shoutwiki.com
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!

User Info: loader963

loader963
2 months ago#20
GundamMonX posted...
GoIrish80 posted...
If I made X product, and some people were illegally copying it, and that causes me to get 27% more money than if they didn't copy it, then I personally would be fine and dandy with that.

Some would say that by being fine with piracy, that you would not only be condoning it but also encouraging it. Which could lower sales. Hate the drm argument, but I'll accept that for I fear devs may try to do always online/ games streamed from server crap they may try to replace DRM with.
I can be patient, but I'm not waiting!
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. EU Commission Report: Videogame piracy leads to 27% more sales in the EU

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived