This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

EU Commission Report: Videogame piracy leads to 27% more sales in the EU

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. EU Commission Report: Videogame piracy leads to 27% more sales in the EU

User Info: arleas

arleas
2 months ago#21
loader963 posted...
Some would say that by being fine with piracy, that you would not only be condoning it but also encouraging it.

Steam has repeatedly said that piracy is a non-issue for them. I am sure there are steam games being pirated, but it's not something they're losing sleep over.

I doubt that Valve is encouraging the pirates.

Basically, people who are going to buy the game will buy it when the conditions are right. People who are content to pirate and never pay a dime will never pay a dime no matter what the conditions are. Piracy doesn't necessarily equal a lost sale.

It's just like how on some linear story-based games you could get "all the benefit" by just watching a playthrough on youtube. Some people probably actually do this. Most would still want to play it themselves even though you could technically see it all for free.
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
FC: 3325-5440-8407 Dream Code:5E00-0013-7C61
The cranky hermit 2 months ago#22
arleas posted...

Steam has repeatedly said that piracy is a non-issue for them. I am sure there are steam games being pirated, but it's not something they're losing sleep over.

Valve hasn't made a full-fledged singleplayer game since 2004. You *could* pirate CS:GO, but what would be the point?
http://thecrankyhermit.shoutwiki.com
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!

User Info: BrokenMachine85

BrokenMachine85
2 months ago#23
We believe in 'try before you buy' as you can't refund digital games as easily as physical.
Ryzen 1600X @4GHz | H90 | GTX 1080 @2GHz | 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 | Acer Predator 28" 4K G-Sync
Playing @4K: Quake Champions | Tekken 7

User Info: SinisterSlay

SinisterSlay
2 months ago#24
The cranky hermit posted...
There's an important detail that everyone jumping on the "see, piracy is good!" bandwagon is missing. A lot, actually, but this one's important:
The overall estimate is 24 extra legal transactions (including free games) for every 100 online copyright infringements
...and...
The positive effect of illegal downloads and streams on the sales of games may be explained by players getting hooked and then paying to play the game with extra bonuses or at extra levels.

So it seems more like piracy is good for crappy freemium titles, and only because at least 24% of pirates suck at pirating and steal gimped versions that don't already have all the content unlocked.

How do you steel something that is free? Really bad study then.
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence

User Info: loader963

loader963
2 months ago#25
arleas posted...
loader963 posted...
Some would say that by being fine with piracy, that you would not only be condoning it but also encouraging it.

Valve is also a private company run by peeps who know the industry inside out and understand it. Not a public company with shareholders screaming "Look at all that lost revenue!!! Do something. You must at least try to stop them. Nnnnoooo!"
I can be patient, but I'm not waiting!

User Info: OptimusRekt

OptimusRekt
2 months ago#26
Random thought: Some people use pirating as a means of testing out a game like a demo. Now that demos are long gone, piracy or playing with refunds are the only way of testing digital only games. I have bought games that I played demos on like Sanctum and Orcs Must Die 1 + 2, among quite a few others, so it makes sense that some people would do this. They do not intend to play the full game through illegally, just test out the first level or so to see if its worth their time and probably wait for a sale. And it also makes sense they found that movie sales decline because they are a 1-time use kind of thing, you see them once you don't want to normally watch it again unless it comes on TV.

Mind you there are other arguments out there for this stuff, but I think this is the simplest one. And if you look at the price of video games in some countries like Brazil, I don't blame them for doing anything :P
"Too fast for freedom, sometimes it all falls down, these chains never leave me, I keep dragging them around..." - Delilah by Florence Welch
The cranky hermit 2 months ago#27
loader963 posted...

Valve is also a private company run by peeps who know the industry inside out and understand it.

Again, they haven't made a full singleplayer game in a REALLY long time. They're not affected by piracy the way developers who actually make singleplayer games do.

I propose that because they're a private company who know the industry, they know that trying to profit from a singleplayer PC game is a fool's errand. So they don't do it, and instead invest in a safe business model that lets them skim from all of the fools who do, well supplemented by hat revenue.

OptimusRekt posted...
Random thought: Some people use pirating as a means of testing out a game like a demo.

It's statistically insignificant. The few games that have demos get pirated at the same rates as games that don't.

User Info: Hi C

Hi C
2 months ago#28
The cranky hermit posted...
Again, they haven't made a full singleplayer game in a REALLY long time. They're not affected by piracy the way developers who actually make singleplayer games do.

Valve doesn't get a cut of the profit of every game they sell on their storefront? Oh yes, they do. 1/3 to be exact. It affects them.
I5-4590 | ASUS H97i-PLUS & VS239hp | 8GB Ballistix Sport | 1TB+2TB WD Blue | Cooler Master N200 | ASUS GTX 960 Strix 2GB
The cranky hermit 2 months ago#29
Did you miss this part of my post?
they don't do it, and instead invest in a safe business model that lets them skim from all of the fools who do, well supplemented by hat revenue.

They're not affected the same way. Valve's got tons of eggs in tons of baskets, and invests very little in any of them. Big deal (as far as Valve's concerned) if a game flops for whatever reason. The real developers spent years and millions in any given game, and it is actually a big deal if their game flops.

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
2 months ago#30
I don't think a single study is really conclusive. Something like piracy has so many factors that you'd really need several comprehensive studies in different regions to come to any kind of meaningful conclusion. I'd be interested to see a study on casual piracy from middle-class individuals in the US/UK for instance.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii-U | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. EU Commission Report: Videogame piracy leads to 27% more sales in the EU

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived