This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is Coffee Lake i3 gonna be the new sweet spot for gaming?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is Coffee Lake i3 gonna be the new sweet spot for gaming?

User Info: HeliosMagi

HeliosMagi
2 months ago#1
Now that the i3s will be true quad-cores while retaining their excellent single-threaded performance and low price, will they be the CPU of choice for purely gaming machines? As far as I know no games use more than 4 cores or threads, and most games and emulation greatly favors single-threaded performance.
"I had a classmate who legitimately expected Mario 65 to come out."
"He ate glue."

User Info: Kokuei05

Kokuei05
2 months ago#2
Tiny cache will hinder its performance.
i7-6700K | Team Vulcan 16GB 3000Mhz | MSI z170a SLI PLUS | EVGA 650W G2 | Zotac 8GB GTX 1080 Mini | EA232WMI
e7470 | i5-6300U | 8GB DDR4 || Surface Pro 2 i5.

User Info: ToastyOne

ToastyOne
2 months ago#3
Tiny cache? They won't have 6mb like current i5?
steamcommunity.com/id/Armatoste/

User Info: GoIrish80

GoIrish80
2 months ago#4
HeliosMagi posted...
Now that the i3s will be true quad-cores while retaining their excellent single-threaded performance and low price, will they be the CPU of choice for purely gaming machines? As far as I know no games use more than 4 cores or threads, and most games and emulation greatly favors single-threaded performance.

As with anything, it will the CPU of choice for people who can't afford/aren't willing to pay for anything better.

User Info: HeliosMagi

HeliosMagi
2 months ago#5
GoIrish80 posted...
HeliosMagi posted...

As with anything, it will the CPU of choice for people who can't afford/aren't willing to pay for anything better.

For gaming you don't need more than 4 cores & threads. The i3 8100 may very well have the best price to performance ratio of any CPU if you only game.
"I had a classmate who legitimately expected Mario 65 to come out."
"He ate glue."

User Info: monkmith

monkmith
2 months ago#6
i3? never.
People die when they are killed.
Among horse, Red Hare. Among men, Lu Bu.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is Coffee Lake i3 gonna be the new sweet spot for gaming?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived