This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can someone explain why TVs look so much like s*** to me?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Can someone explain why TVs look so much like s*** to me?

User Info: metaIslug

metaIslug
2 months ago#1
I was at an electronics store today to get a 32" but they all looked kinda bad. They were 1080P too. I could see pixelation everywhere. Then I looked at 4K TV and it looked better, but not a ton

What's weird is then I looked at PC monitors. Looked at 1080P monitor and it looked very good! Crisp and lots of detail.

So what's the deal with TVs that so many look like crap. Even Samsung and LG

I know this is not related to PC but it is related to PC monitor so I think it's cool to post.

User Info: Ryzeki

Ryzeki
2 months ago#2
It's probably your brain, you have a weird disease where the feedback from the eyes is making you hallucinate.

32 inch tvs are generally crap, btw. And as with everything, including monitors, all manufacturers have models that excel in all areas, and models that are just acceptable and cheaper. You can't say a monitor looks good if you only look at superb ones. A lot of monitors have terrible contrast, 6 bit panels, low response time, and due to size, only the resolution might look OK.

It also has to do with what content is being shown to you. Videos and the like can be low resolution and will look bad when blown up. A big TV with the same res as a monitor will only enhance the issues if you look at a closer distance. Also 1080p at 32 inch is rather low ppi.

I have a "gaming" monitor and a regular monitor at work. The regular monitor looks ok when on its own, but when I put my laptop, monitor and gaming monitor together, it is clearly low quality with worse colors and the only decent thing is resolution.
MSI GT73VR - Core i7 6th gen @4.1Ghz | | 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4 || 128GB SSD + 1TB || GTX1080 || 1080P@120hz

metaIslug
2 months ago#3
Then I don't understand. The fact is I looked at TVs and they all looked bad. I wish I could show this off somehow but the image looks pixelated to hell. I need to buy one if I wanna play the modern consoles, but it feels bad to buy a TV that looks like this.

32 inch TVs are crap? But I don't need a huge 40+ one. My room is tiny

User Info: Dragon Nexus

Dragon Nexus
2 months ago#4
It depends entirely on what they're displaying.
If it's a 4K TV but they're only showing a regular blu ray movie then it's not going to look its best. Likewise if you display a top of the range 1080p screen with a DVD of Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure.
"Everything popular is wrong." - Oscar Wilde

User Info: Dirk85UK

Dirk85UK
2 months ago#5
metaIslug posted...
I need to buy one if I wanna play the modern consoles

You can play consoles on a monitor...

User Info: PhilOnDez

PhilOnDez
2 months ago#6
It might be the source video that they're running on the demo units being low resolution and blown up to fit the screen, or it could have an overscan feature enabled that has the video zoomed in causing the same issue as a low res source file where it's all stretched out. If they're running long, cheap HDMI cables they might not have the bandwidth for the video to make it to the other side at full resolution and the minimum wage guy they had setting them up just said f*** it and let the videos run at a lower resolution instead of dealing with telling the manager he needed better cables.

Without knowing how the TVs are set up there's just too many ways for them to be f***ed up to give you a good answer.
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez

metaIslug
2 months ago#7
Thanks. Then it's settled, I'm gonna ask the electonics guy why all the TVs look terrible. Jk but I will ask the resolution of the video

User Info: Mr kitty

Mr kitty
2 months ago#8
You should focus more on 1:1 native resolution contents. Some TV have top of the line software scaler which make thing look smooth, but at the cost of ridiculous input lag to the point it's garbage for gaming.

At least with dedicated monitors you don't have to deal with this issue.
https://www.youtube.com/user/MrDeapGamingMedia

User Info: MyDogSkip

MyDogSkip
2 months ago#9
Because you were looking at s*** TVs
i7 6700k @ 4.5GHz | 32GB 3000MHz DDR4 | GTX 980 Ti | 500GB 960 EVO

User Info: zhenghan

zhenghan
2 months ago#10
usually because they're playing low res content
"dude i am like a 10 th grader,i am not smart i am not smart okay.i know basic english not level 100 english lol" -stephanielish
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Can someone explain why TVs look so much like s*** to me?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived