This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Are the older Tomb Raider games decent?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Are the older Tomb Raider games decent?

User Info: TimeCapsule

TimeCapsule
3 weeks ago#1
I played the 2013 and I am currently playing Rise I got the collection off HB and I enjoy the rebooted ones, How are the other ones in comparsion?

User Info: ablerider

ablerider
3 weeks ago#2
Which ones you mean, the very old ones or the crystal dynamics trilogy? (Aniversary, Legend, Underworld).

The former feel pretty dated and at some points frustrating but if you're into retro gaming l guess 1 and 2 are worth playing.

The other trilogy isn't that bad, the shooting is weird and automatic but there is a lot more climbing, puzzles and actual tomb raiding.

One thing both "series" share are acrobatics which are very fun to use and are somewhat useful in combat, you should also know that the stories in these are a lot more fantasy over reality and there is little to no survival involved, no crafting and none of the old games are open world-ish like the new ones, but you get more location variety in exchange.

If you have them then give them a shot, they can be fun.

TimeCapsule
3 weeks ago#3
ablerider posted...
Which ones you mean, the very old ones or the crystal dynamics trilogy? (Aniversary, Legend, Underworld).

The former feel pretty dated and at some points frustrating but if you're into retro gaming l guess 1 and 2 are worth playing.

The other trilogy isn't that bad, the shooting is weird and automatic but there is a lot more climbing, puzzles and actual tomb raiding.

One thing both "series" share are acrobatics which are very fun to use and are somewhat useful in combat, you should also know that the stories in these are a lot more fantasy over reality and there is little to no survival involved, no crafting and none of the old games are open world-ish like the new ones, but you get more location variety in exchange.

If you have them then give them a shot, they can be fun.

I have both the ps1 ones and the trilogy Underworld,Anniversey,Legend

User Info: spud_almighty

spud_almighty
3 weeks ago#4
The original group of games are real good, if you can stomach the tank controls. Try avoid the Playstation versions, they're pretty awful by today's standards.

User Info: spike_spiegel

spike_spiegel
3 weeks ago#5
spud_almighty posted...
The original group of games are real good, if you can stomach the tank controls. Try avoid the Playstation versions, they're pretty awful by today's standards.

Speaking of which if you do play the original Tomb Raider for PC make sure you download some mods for it to patch in the music from the PS1 version. The PC version had less music and the modding community patched it up. There's also a mod out there now that took the HQ textures from the iOS port so you can add them to the PC version to make it look a little nicer.

That's the thing about these older TR games is that they actually have a dedicated modding community that keeps them up-to-date with compatibility patches and fan mods.

TimeCapsule
3 weeks ago#6
spike_spiegel posted...
spud_almighty posted...

Speaking of which if you do play the original Tomb Raider for PC make sure you download some mods for it to patch in the music from the PS1 version. The PC version had less music and the modding community patched it up. There's also a mod out there now that took the HQ textures from the iOS port so you can add them to the PC version to make it look a little nicer.

That's the thing about these older TR games is that they actually have a dedicated modding community that keeps them up-to-date with compatibility patches and fan mods.

I have all them on steam can I still put the mods in?
The cranky hermit 3 weeks ago#7
TR1 is excellent. TR2 and TR: The Last Revelation are quite good too. 3 and Chronicles are OK, Angel of Darkness nearly killed the series.

This is the right way to play TR1:
http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=214779

It improves performance, enables HD widescreen resolutions, and restores the missing soundtrack. It will work fine with the Steam version, but you'll need to use ISO mounting software to extract the data files that you need.
http://thecrankyhermit.shoutwiki.com
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!

User Info: Hexenherz

Hexenherz
3 weeks ago#8
The original games are actually games that don't handhold you through everything. Controls and shooting mechanics are a little dated but otherwise the puzzle solving and platforming is top notch.

User Info: thatfool12Gs

thatfool12Gs
3 weeks ago#9
Underworld is dope.. I think they nailed the multi-leveled ruins design of the stages

User Info: Shub

Shub
3 weeks ago#10
I thought the original and the second one were great. It helped a lot to play the first one with a 3Dfx card :)
I can't say I've played the other ones, I skipped all of them until the 2013 reboot.
-What is best in life?
-Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Are the older Tomb Raider games decent?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived