This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anyone had trouble with Steam declining valid credit card before?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Anyone had trouble with Steam declining valid credit card before?

User Info: KillerTruffle

KillerTruffle
2 months ago#1
So just tried to purchase a game that's on sale on Steam, and twice it said that my credit card company declined the purchase due to a mismatch in card information. It said to re-try the purchase after correcting whatever was wrong.

However, I double checked all the information on the card, ensured the PIN was correct, etc., and there are no mismatches at all. What's more, I checked my credit card balance, and it shows the transaction pending - twice - even though Steam says it declined. I called my CC company to ask, and they confirmed that both transactions were approved on their end.

So what the heck is up with Steam? I don't recall this happening to me before. Anyone else experienced it, and if so, how did you fix it? Did it automatically go through some time later? Did you have to contact Steam support (shudder)? Did you have to challenge the transactions, or did they just expire and drop off the "pending" after a couple weeks?

I'm a little concerned about canceling the charges on my CC's side, because I don't want Steam to get upset about chargebacks or something and lock my account, but this sounds like it's 100% on Steam's side, and I just want the bloody game for the sale price. :P
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23

User Info: Marikhen

Marikhen
2 months ago#2
I get "reloadable" pre-paid VISA cards from plasma centers I donate at, and I routinely have issues when using them to pay for Steam purchases.

Usually what happens is that the first charge comes in from one source, gets declined, and then when I retry the purchase the second charge comes in from a different source, gets processed correctly, and I get my stuff. The initial declined charge that resulted in a funds hold typically falls off within a week or so.

Can't really describe the "source" thing any more clearly except to say that one comes in from say "STEAMGAMES.COM - 425-952-2985 , WA" before getting declined then the next one from "STEAMGAMES.COM4259522985 - 425-9522985 , WA" is accepted, only the initial source is more like something from Valve rather than Steam.

I honestly don't really know what's going on, but the problem seems purely on Steam's side. I wouldn't worry about the "pending" transactions as they're basically your bank's way of saying that a temporary hold, a sort of "I'm going to be taking this money in a little bit" notification sent to your bank by the company you're doing business with, was placed on the money. So long as Steam said that the card was declined they won't, at least in my experience, ever follow through anyway and charge you.

I can't guarantee that of course, but from my experience you have nothing to worry about except figuring out why Steam's automated software is mistakenly thinking that the charge was declined.
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?

User Info: KillerTruffle

KillerTruffle
2 months ago#3
Well, that's good to know at least... it's not a huge amount, and I know I can always challenge if the charges actually go through. I wonder if I should try completely closing and re-opening Steam, if that'll change anything enough to let the charge go through? Or maybe try it from my phone?
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23

User Info: Marikhen

Marikhen
2 months ago#4
Your call on that. Normally just re-running the card is enough for me, but since that didn't work for you I dunno. Using an out-of-Steam browser and re-logging while making sure scripting is fully enabled might do the trick in case there's some sort of cross-site confirmation scripting that could get blocked. For that matter if it's something automated on Steam's side then running the charge a third time might finally convince the software that it's a legitimate card/purchase/buyer and it'll process things correctly

I can't recall having had to attempt to purchase something through Steam three times before though, so if two tries isn't working then unless you can afford for your bank to get picky over pending charges and "available" balances I'd not consider running it a third time until you're sure things are cleared up.
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Anyone had trouble with Steam declining valid credit card before?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived