This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Building a gaming PC on a budget.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Building a gaming PC on a budget.

User Info: 10DimeBag10

10DimeBag10
4 weeks ago#1
Do you think I should get a new laptop (I will build it). or buy parts to fix this one (fan, battery, ram maybe graphics card, processor possibly?

I have the skills but not much funds what do you think for a solid gaming PC that I can upgrade through the next few years? I am very capable of building a computer I just want something with a nice graphics card, processor, ram, and such. Help me out brothers taking a jump from console to PC!

User Info: Pelaaja82

Pelaaja82
4 weeks ago#2
Just base your build around Ryzen 1600 /B350 mobo+fastest ram you can afford and you are good to go for many years to come.
Pc: i7 6700k/980 ti/16gb ram and Ps4.

User Info: mucloud

mucloud
4 weeks ago#3
Ryan 1600 no less the x series means you can OC them more bit if you don't OC then don't worry about that.
Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper White W10 64bit GA990FXAUD3 FX 8320 Vishera 8-Core Core 4.0 GHz 1000watt Rosewell PSU 32GB RAM XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB

User Info: mucloud

mucloud
4 weeks ago#4
Here is an example of what it would cost.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/TVGjd6
Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper White W10 64bit GA990FXAUD3 FX 8320 Vishera 8-Core Core 4.0 GHz 1000watt Rosewell PSU 32GB RAM XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB

User Info: Pelaaja82

Pelaaja82
4 weeks ago#5
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/dqjWGX/arctic-freezer-33-cpu-cooler-acfre00028a

This is one of the best price/performance coolers for the money. It doent look too pretty, but the cooling performance more than makes up for it and the fan also stops spinning, if the cpu temperature is low enough for some silent cooling.

My friend installed the Freezer 33 plus cooler to a Ryzen 1600 rig and was pretty impressed by the cooling/low noise the two fans produced while in operation.
Pc: i7 6700k/980 ti/16gb ram and Ps4.

User Info: HotshotJoe

HotshotJoe
4 weeks ago#6
Well this is the reason people hate laptops even though mines better then half their desktops.

A laptop will cost you 10% less to build as to buy one.

Now desktop is different.
A desktop could be built for half the cost of buying one.

Also graphic cards are the hardest part to change in a laptop unless you bought quality like me.

But if you decide to buy I would recommend Alienware like I have and abuse the graphic amplifier.

This alllows you to have a tv on a desktop gpu, a monitor off a desktop gpu, and then have a third screen with the laptop gpu too if you need yet another screen.

Also has the benefit of it will outlast your desktop because no matter the gpu they come out with your laptop can use the best.

Only time it would become irrelevant would be when the ram and CPU limit is reached which takes 8-10 years compared to a gpu that is inefficient after 1-2 years.
That's why I'm streaming LoLz right now and why I have bought 9300 IP on two accounts so far. Because I don't play it. Makes perfect sense ~ Karmic Dragon

User Info: BrokenMachine85

BrokenMachine85
4 weeks ago#7
Pelaaja82 posted...
Just base your build around Ryzen 1600 /B350 mobo+fastest ram you can afford and you are good to go for many years to come.

That plus the best graphics card you have the money left over for.
Ryzen 1600X @4GHz | H90 | GTX 1080 @2GHz | 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 | Acer Predator 28" 4K G-Sync
Playing @4K: Quake Champions | Tekken 7
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Building a gaming PC on a budget.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived