This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anyone here recommend Oculus?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Anyone here recommend Oculus?

User Info: Jonbazookaboz

Jonbazookaboz
4 weeks ago#1
Never really tried VR and was wondering if it was worth it? Also is it easy to set up and what's good on it? Best showpiece app/game?

Cheers in advance
"If PAC-MAN had affected us kids, we'd all be running around in dark rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music!"

User Info: lightningbugx

lightningbugx
4 weeks ago#2
A few questions

1) Have you ever played with a Nintendo Wii before?

2) Do you like Valve's Steam Controller?

3) What are your PC's specs?

I have an HTC Vive set, and I am setting up an Oculus Rift set for a friend's wife's father. The point of the Wii question is if you prefer to sit down while playing a game or standing and moving around. If you are fine with sitting or staying in place, Oculus is fine. If you like to move around, I suggest Vive and having a decent sized area cleared out.

After choosing if you would like to roam around or not, the next big decision is the controller style. Oculus Rift's current controls are similar to standard game controllers. Vive's I am guessing is similar to the Steam Controller. Vive's controller uses touch pads d-pads in place of the analog stick.

Lastly, I can wear my glasses in the Vive headset, but not the Oculus headset. The lenses used balance your vision to like 2 meters, close to 7 feet, and I am nearsighted to 1 meter.

My current experience with both, Vive is more expensive, but it is worth it. Oculus Rift has problems when you are not facing the sensors.
Ryzen 1800X, 16GB 3600 MHz CAS15 DDR4, 2x Radeon R9 390X, GA-AX370-Gaming K7
x86 is holding back PCs.

User Info: Jonbazookaboz

Jonbazookaboz
4 weeks ago#3
1) obviously

2) never tried the steam controller

3) Msi Geforce Gtx 1070 Gaming X 8GB graphics card, Intel Core i7- 6700K 4GHz Quad core CPU Skylake (current gen), ASUS Intel Lga1151 Pro Gaming Motherboard, ADATA Z1 DDR4 2800MHz 16gb RAM, DREVO X1 Series 500GB SSD, Toshiba P300 1TB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA HD, Corsair CP-9020097 550 W power supply, TP-LINK internal wifi card, DEEPCOOL Maelstrom CPU Liquid Cooler.

I prefer sitting. Dont have a huge amount of space in my game room
"If PAC-MAN had affected us kids, we'd all be running around in dark rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music!"

User Info: ArkonBlade

ArkonBlade
4 weeks ago#4
I got a Rift about 2 weeks ago. I love it but things to keep in mind.

I got it used off a guy for $200. He was selling it because he had motion sickness every time he used it and he tried every thing to help prevent it and very little out side of taking some Dramamine helped a bit. Even then he said certain games still made him feel a bit ill. I recommend trying it if you can before buying it.

Some games you can sit down and play and even the ones that recommend you stand you can still sit down and play them. You may have to do things like recalibrate and set your height to short otherwise you wont be able to pick things up off the floor in a game like Arizona Sunshine.

Another thing is click turning which is when you turn left or right on the analog stick you automatically turn 45 degrees and I absolutely hate it. It will help if you are prone to motion sickness but if you are like me and are not it just kills the immersion and it just feels like a crap.some games have this locked in and you cant turn it of and turn on smooth turning. which for me if that's the case I refund it right away.

Then there is Teleportation. Its a way of getting around the game by pointing at a spot and instantly teleport there. Much like click turning this also sucks but is in place for people with motion sickness and some times can be turned off and some times you cant.

As for games these are the best ones I have played so far.

Alien Isolation
Arizona Sunshine
Dirt Rally
Project Cars
X Rebirth VR
Eve Valkryie

There is also a program called VorpX that lets you play non VR games in VR like GTA5, Fallout 4, Skyrim and more. Havent had a chance to mess with it yet. I just got it last night so cant recommend it yet.
YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/ArkonBlade/videos
PSN - ArkonBlade XBL - The Wolf Shadow STEAM - ArkonBlade

User Info: lightningbugx

lightningbugx
4 weeks ago#5
Those specs are fine for current VR.

I haven't had much motion sickness, except with Oculus Rift when turned away from the desk. Vive's setup wants the two sensor boxes at different positions, while Oculus Rift wants them beside the monitor, but spaced a little away from each other.

The games I currently have:

Rick and Morty
Obduction (had this before getting Vive)
I Expect You to Die

I have just gotten Job Simulator. I plan to get Fallout 4 VR and DOOM VFR when they are available. I hope RE7 VR comes around.

Right now, I am looking for VR games that don't require teleporting to get around and are a little more than a small room.
Ryzen 1800X, 16GB 3600 MHz CAS15 DDR4, 2x Radeon R9 390X, GA-AX370-Gaming K7
x86 is holding back PCs.

User Info: arleas

arleas
4 weeks ago#6
ArkonBlade posted...
He was selling it because he had motion sickness every time he used it

This is one reason why Room scale is such a big deal. When moving around in Room scale, your movement is 1:1 in sync with the real world movement so there's no motion sickness.

The only times you really have to worry about motion sickness is when you're moving in game and not moving in real life, or moving in real life but not moving in game (like if the display lags or freezes). Also, some kinds of motion are easier to deal with than others...for me personally, moving forward is fine, moving backward and even a little side-to-side strafing is fine... turning (Yaw) is where I start to feel it.

lightningbugx posted...
Oculus Rift wants them beside the monitor, but spaced a little away from each other.

I've heard some people have gotten room scale to work with only two sensors, but it's tricky and still requires you to have cables stretched out all over the place. That's the real benefit to the lighthouses. No connection to anything but the wall (and optionally to each other for cabled sync if you can't make a direct connection for some reason).

If you don't have a 3rd sensor but want to do room scale, that's really what you should be looking at. At least the sensor doesn't cost as much as a lighthouse base would cost.
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
FC: 3325-5440-8407 Dream Code:5E00-0013-7C61
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Anyone here recommend Oculus?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived