This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do almost all pre-builts have optical drives?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Why do almost all pre-builts have optical drives?

User Info: HeliosMagi

HeliosMagi
4 weeks ago#1
Especially pre-built Gaming PCs. Don't they realize that PC gamers haven't used optical media in over a decade? Do they put them in just to drive up the price?
"I had a classmate who legitimately expected Mario 65 to come out."
"He ate glue."

User Info: Interfusor

Interfusor
4 weeks ago#2
HeliosMagi posted...
PC gamers haven't used optical media in over a decade

I use it for movie and tv-series DVDs and have done for a long time.
I am not economically viable.

User Info: wantfastcars

wantfastcars
4 weeks ago#3
Some whack-jobs, myself included, still buy CDs on occasion as well, and it's nice to be able to rip them without needing to go buy (or go find and plug in) an external drive. Especially since the cost they add is so minimal, even to prebuilts.
Now Playing: GG Xrd Rev 2, GRIP, Redout
Now, let's count up your sins! | Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DrPtkT

User Info: maybecalls

maybecalls
4 weeks ago#4
I use mine for installing/running old games on disc, ripping CDs, and watching DVDs. They only cost £12, anyway.

User Info: ArkonBlade

ArkonBlade
4 weeks ago#5
I have one for mine. I use it for DVD movies and some TV series I have. I also keep my back up of windows on there. I just feel safer having it on DVD then a Thumb drive.
YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/ArkonBlade/videos
PSN - ArkonBlade XBL - The Wolf Shadow STEAM - ArkonBlade

User Info: Orestes417

Orestes417
4 weeks ago#6
Dirt cheap value add and frankly, no one gives a f*** about what PC gamers do or don't do in the prebuilt market.
When nothing remains everything becomes possible.

User Info: Digital Storm

Digital Storm
4 weeks ago#7
As stated, if you're a "pc gamer", you're not buying from the prebuilt spectrum.

Pizza?
Ooo eee, oo ah ah, ting tang, walla walla bing bang.

User Info: RandPC

RandPC
4 weeks ago#8
The price to large OEM's buying in volume is down around $3-5 now, so it's a very cheap value add-in. If the user doesn't need it they probably won't care one way or another if it's there, if they do need/want it then not having one could steer them to not buy from you at all.
For something so cheap you may as well toss it in to ensure you can appeal the the small niche that may still be using one, or simply want one as a precaution against future need.

User Info: Cards_and_Hats

Cards_and_Hats
4 weeks ago#9
I have heard a ton of pre-built pc sales go to classrooms or offices, these places are the type to still use a CD for whatever they are doing

Plus optical drives are so cheap it is better to have one than to lose a sale from a guy looking for a drive (if they are buying pre-built they probably dont have the knowledge to put one in)

User Info: Jair

Jair
4 weeks ago#10
Yeah, it's a combination of being a fairly cheap add on and, well, it's a pre-built. I don't really expect the peak of gaming efficiency from such vendors.

Heck, I still have one in my custom, although it's admittedly disconnected in favor of another SSD. I think it still has my Planescape: Torment CD in it. Anyway, I do have a lot of archival CD and DVD stuff, so I'm sure it'll come in handy at some point.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Why do almost all pre-builts have optical drives?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived