This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Old games running on Win 10?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Old games running on Win 10?

User Info: Andreas2402

Andreas2402
2 months ago#1
Win 10 Pro 64 bit
Game list - all on disc:

Diablo 2 + LOD
BG 1+2,
Witcher,
Orange Box - HL2 + EP 1 + EP2
Vampire Bloodlines,
Stronghold Collection
HOMM 3 Complete

Would it make sense to get Win 7 for better combatibility instead?
Would getting them on GOG be more hassle free?
Reason i'm asking is i'm thinking of buying a pc.
The bigger the lie, the more they believe

User Info: Cards_and_Hats

Cards_and_Hats
2 months ago#2
Windows 7 is not going to be supported anymore plus 99% of compatibility issues can be solved with google, GOG or compatibility mode

There is zero reason not to get windows 10 in 2017, just spend half an hour to turn off all the tracking s*** and you are good to go

Andreas2402
2 months ago#3
great, thanks. i havent been gaming on pc properly for a long time (since win xp) so i was a little out of the picture.
with the exception of bg2, vampire and witcher which i didnt play yet these are my all-time favs that i will come back to forever

User Info: zxxcman

zxxcman
2 months ago#4
In my very limited experience, Windows 10 had slightly better compatibility with the few older games I've tried with it than Windows 7. The games were Age of Empires 1 and 2, and Age of Mythology (original games, not the remastered versions).

And I ran a digital/steam copy of the Witcher a while back, and it worked perfectly. I believe you can use your cd key to get a GOG license for that game, which would fix any issues you have with the game.

Additionally, most of the games you've listed are really cheap on sales, and you could get digital copies of all of them for probably less than $20 if you're willing to wait and double dip.

Here's the Witcher for example for $1.5
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/the-witcher-enhanced-edition-directors-cut
I used to have a good signature, then I got modded for it.
Now I shall try to think of something edgier to put here.

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
2 months ago#5
In my experience, Windows 10 has offered similar/better compatibility vs. 7. There's also the matter of 10 just being much faster than 7 in general, even when loaded down with programs.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii-U | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES

User Info: ArkonBlade

ArkonBlade
2 months ago#6
If a game doesn't work with windows 10, I am sure there is a Fan patch made by now to fix it. I remember Crysis not playing well with windows 7 and there is a simple patch to fix it.
YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/ArkonBlade/videos
PSN - ArkonBlade XBL - The Wolf Shadow STEAM - ArkonBlade

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
2 months ago#7
Unless you are on 10, any older OS is gonna get fazed out.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

User Info: gpo1zephyranthes

gpo1zephyranthes
2 months ago#8
Get Windows 10.

Andreas2402
2 months ago#9
sorry to bump this but windows 7 seems to be much cheaper.
i do not intend to have a future proof pc but simply one that can run all games that came out so far so i wouldnt have a problem with future games not being compatible.
any other downsides besides programs running slower than w10? do games from 2014/5/6 run much worse on win7?

system: g4600, gtx 1060, msi b250m pro vd, res. 1080p

User Info: lkman

lkman
2 months ago#10
https://www.reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap/

Get your Windows 10 licence here, there's only little difference in prices between Windows 10 and Windows 7 cd-key.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Old games running on Win 10?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived