This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Gaming laptop users. Do you see significant improvements after repasting?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Gaming laptop users. Do you see significant improvements after repasting?

User Info: Terrorknight3

Terrorknight3
3 weeks ago#1
LIke when you first get a new laptop and then immediately repaste the heatsinks.

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
3 weeks ago#2
Why would you open a laptop and possibly void your warranty by removing and re-pasting the heatsinks if it wasn't necessary? If your'e seeing high temps right off the bat, I personally would send the machine back if it's under warranty. You might get slightly better temps, but the thing is, with most laptops, your temps are going to be dictated by the relatively cramped laptop form factor. You can of course use things like cooling pads to improve temperatures.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii-U | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES

User Info: Cards_and_Hats

Cards_and_Hats
3 weeks ago#3
This sounds like an awful idea and laptops are gonna be a barbecue no matter what you do with it

Just buy some laptop cooling pads for like $20 dude

User Info: SinisterSlay

SinisterSlay
3 weeks ago#4
Most laptops use heat pipes. Those are inherently less efficient. So naturally your going to have higher temperatures. That combined with poor air flow and fan profiles designed for noise and not cooling.
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence

User Info: Ryzeki

Ryzeki
3 weeks ago#5
Sometimes yes. My last two machined had excellent temps from the get go. But my 3rd one from 2013 did benefit from a repaste.

It will depend on brand and model. But I think you will gain much better resultd from undervolting/underclocking.
MSI GT73VR - Core i7 6th gen @4.1Ghz | | 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4 || 128GB SSD + 1TB || GTX1080 || 1080P@120hz

User Info: FantasticGabe

FantasticGabe
3 weeks ago#6
I've never needed to repaste, they have always run fine.
Gabe: Reality has exiled you, you are no longer bound by its laws. - HoboSpartan
Formerly known as IBKNAWTU.

User Info: jhood

jhood
3 weeks ago#7
instead of repasting just undervolt.this will drop your temps drastically.
6700k @4.6ghz | Corsair H105 | Gigbayte Z170 HDP3 | 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming Z | Evga 1000w G2 |
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Gaming laptop users. Do you see significant improvements after repasting?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived