This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Steam achievements blocked by FOV mod?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Steam achievements blocked by FOV mod?

User Info: 94mav98

94mav98
2 months ago#1
So I'm playing Resident Evil Revelations at the moment and while I miss the laser sight from the 3DS version, I'm excited to try the FOV mod listed on the PC Gaming Wiki. But I've also heard that mods, even purely aesthetic ones, will prevent you from earning any achievements. Does anyone know if changing the FOV via Widescreen Fixer would do this?
"Every single new Final Fantasy game is the one that ruined the franchise forever, and this is obvious the second they announce the title."

User Info: Interfusor

Interfusor
2 months ago#2
I'm not 100% but it most likely won't do anything regarding achievements.

The only games I can think of that I've played which disable steam achievements for mods (ands cheats) are Fallout: New Vegas and Fallout 4, and both games have mods you can find on Nexus that re-enable achievements even with mods.
I am not economically viable.

94mav98
2 months ago#3
I mostly just worry about it counting as cheating or something, even if a wider FOV isn't what I'd call cheating. I don't want to get my account banned or anything because I've triggered some kind of forbidden flag in the game code.

The slightly claustrophobic FOV was fine in the 3DS version, but on a bigger screen and at a much higher resolution it hurts the game experience, imo. The, imho superior, sequel had a much better default FOV.
"Every single new Final Fantasy game is the one that ruined the franchise forever, and this is obvious the second they announce the title."

User Info: ablerider

ablerider
2 months ago#4
I played RE6 with a trainer to change the camera position... but both Rev and 6 are VAC protected so do it at your own risk and never in multiplayer.

94mav98
2 months ago#5
I see.

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
2 months ago#6
As long as you don't have mods/cheats enabled while playing on a VAC secured server Valve doesn't give a crap about what mods you use.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii-U | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES

User Info: cory1225

cory1225
2 months ago#7
I don't f*** with mods on multiplayer VAC games lol
i5 6600k | GTX 1080 | 16Gb

94mav98
2 months ago#8
So would superficial mods like costumes and wider FOV be safe to use in single player campaign, even though this game has VAC?

User Info: vlado_e

vlado_e
2 months ago#9
JKatarn posted...
As long as you don't have mods/cheats enabled while playing on a VAC secured server Valve doesn't give a crap about what mods you use.

Valve doesn't but the achievements are up to the developer. Some disable them for any mods, other are still strict but a bit more liberal - for example, in Crusader Kings 2 you only earn achievements if you play ironman mode and only if the mods you use are purely cosmetic - if you have any mod that changes the game rules, the achievements are disabled. Other games still allow achievements no matter what you do - say, XCOM 2 you can put in mods that make you totally overpowered and get achievements easily - you can even use cheats, it you so desire.
We do what we must / because we can. / For the good of all of us. / Except the ones who are dead.

94mav98
2 months ago#10
I mostly just want to change the FOV, from this:

https://i.imgur.com/MazE0S4.jpg

to this:

https://i.imgur.com/o4G9JST.jpg

Without risking my Steam account getting banned. I could deal with the original FOV on my 3DS, but the wider mod shown above is closer to how Revelations 2 looks by default so I'd prefer to play it like that.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Steam achievements blocked by FOV mod?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived