This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

To the people who have worked for a business and have used an email from it.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. To the people who have worked for a business and have used an email from it.

User Info: Combo Master

Combo Master
4 weeks ago#1
When they delete emails from their server is it really gone with no way to retrieve it?? I am in a position were I had special emails and stuff in a draft folder I had made saved to my mailbox over the years and just recently everything was deleted. I assumed it would always stay the same unless I got fired and lost the email...

Now it is bothering me way more than it should that my mail and drafts I have has been apparently deleted off their system with no way to retrieve it. This happening just under a week ago. I will be talking with the main company and pleading my case to look into bringing whatever they can back...

Has anyone else ever been in this situation?? Must every company have a backup of an employees mailbox somewhere correct if stuff is deleted? At least for awhile?
Combo Master

User Info: monkmith

monkmith
4 weeks ago#2
unless they save backups then yes they're gone. if you're not doing anything sensitive can you not forward emails you feel the need to archive to your personal email?
People die when they are killed.
Among horse, Red Hare. Among men, Lu Bu.

User Info: mucloud

mucloud
4 weeks ago#3
If you need this for personal use which it sounds like.

Take screen shots and then save it too your Google drive or Dropbox.....just make sure your using anonymous web browsing when you do it lol.

Also do not do it when it's kinda of slow do it when there are a lot of people using computers so it is not obvious.
Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper White W10 64bit GA990FXAUD3 FX 8320 Vishera 8-Core Core 4.0 GHz 1000watt Rosewell PSU 32GB RAM XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB

User Info: LB3

LB3
4 weeks ago#4
Mine uses office and allows you to set up an archive that is saved to your local machine. But you have to have it send emails to the archive yourself.

User Info: Zewsdi

Zewsdi
4 weeks ago#5
LB3 posted...
Mine uses office and allows you to set up an archive that is saved to your local machine. But you have to have it send emails to the archive yourself.

I work in IT and this is what we do as well. Although I always recommend people to save their outlook archives to their personal drive on our cloud rather than their local machine.

User Info: FantasticGabe

FantasticGabe
4 weeks ago#6
If you were using the O365 suite, try logging into portal.office.com and accessing your mail there. If the mail isn't there and you hadn't configured backups, it's probably gone if you deleted it.

IT guy here too.
Gabe: Reality has exiled you, you are no longer bound by its laws. - HoboSpartan
Formerly known as IBKNAWTU.

User Info: wildog2006

wildog2006
4 weeks ago#7
You sound like the same kind of person that keeps files they might need in the future in the recycle bin. Your IT guys cleaned up their server and anything that was taking up space they needed, and that wasn't important like drafts of emails sitting in a draft folder for god knows how long, got removed.
MOD: Mindless, Oppressive, & Delusional

User Info: Love_Me_Sexy

Love_Me_Sexy
3 weeks ago#8
mucloud posted...
If you need this for personal use which it sounds like.

Take screen shots and then save it too your Google drive or Dropbox.....just make sure your using anonymous web browsing when you do it lol.

Also do not do it when it's kinda of slow do it when there are a lot of people using computers so it is not obvious.

You have absolutely no clue, do you?

Why do you give this s*** "advice" out in every post you make? It's one of two things:

1. You are just that dedicated to trying to give out the worst advice possible.
2. You actually believe the s*** you type and think you are helping.

Either way, stop it.

User Info: ein311

ein311
3 weeks ago#9
If your IT guys have an onsite mail server and made regular backups, and those backups haven't expired, then they could retrieve the mail items for you...
...and if your company has a policy regarding email quotas or server hold times and you've gone beyond written policy, you'll probably never get it back.
Of course, if your company doesn't have any explicit email hold policy, you could try to plead your case (assuming backups exist).

If you did regular email archiving, you could pull it from that. If you didn't, and you were relying on the email server to hold all your email forever, take this as a really painful learning experience.

If you're on Office365, do what the other guy in the thread said. If it isn't there, then you're kind of SOL.

Personally, I'm that a****** IT guy that stick to policy and has no empathy towards people that can't adhere to it. So if policy existed that allowed IT to wipe old emails and it affected your folder, I wouldn't help you. If policy didn't exist, I'd help you this time and then get a written policy in place.
90% of my day job is telling people no because it isn't policy. It's not because I'm an IT dictator, it's because I'm a lazy a****** who likes to tell people "no" and have a good reason for it.
Man your own jackhammer
Man your battlestations

User Info: Combo Master

Combo Master
3 weeks ago#10
Then issue is I have over 6 years of emails and drafts I have made and they were never deleted until a week ago... I lost a lot of memories and drafts over the years and it is making me feel ill. The email server never had a way for me to send to my own email address.... If I get the information back.. I know how I can force save all the info to myself , but it looks like i'm f***ed and it's making me pretty depressed.
Combo Master
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. To the people who have worked for a business and have used an email from it.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived