This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is the Alienware Aurora still a good choice?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is the Alienware Aurora still a good choice?

User Info: TexasGuard09

TexasGuard09
3 weeks ago#1
I am back in the market for a new gaming PC. My current one is approaching 5 years old right now. I chose the parts and had my local shop build it. I have really never been completely satisfied with it. I finally have about $1,500 to go spend on something. I have always wanted an Alienware but never had the money.
Looking at matching the same parts used in an AW it comes out more expensive by a couple hundred bucks.

User Info: GoIrish80

GoIrish80
3 weeks ago#2
It is what it is; a capable pre built Gaming PC that costs a decent amount more than what it would cost to build one on your own.

User Info: Jonbazookaboz

Jonbazookaboz
3 weeks ago#3
Dont be fooled by the jaded name. Get a custom build. You will get twice the specs for the same price
"If PAC-MAN had affected us kids, we'd all be running around in dark rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music!"

TexasGuard09
3 weeks ago#4
Jonbazookaboz posted...
Dont be fooled by the jaded name. Get a custom build. You will get twice the specs for the same price

In theory yes but like i said if was to match the AW on Newegg it would actually cost several hundred more.

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
3 weeks ago#5
GoIrish80 posted...
It is what it is; a capable pre built Gaming PC that costs a decent amount more than what it would cost to build one on your own.

Out of curiosity, I specced out a build that is very close to the $1599 Alienware Aurora configuration on PC Part Picker (including the Windows 10 Home license) and it came to $1389, so there's a difference, but it's not huge.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii-U | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES

Jonbazookaboz
3 weeks ago#6
You need to shop around dude. Dont rely on Newegg for all your parts. Dont be scared of 2nd hand also
"If PAC-MAN had affected us kids, we'd all be running around in dark rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music!"

Jonbazookaboz
3 weeks ago#7
I just recently built one nearly same spec only mine had an i7 6700, 500gb ssd, better water cooling and it was $1100

TexasGuard09
3 weeks ago#8
JKatarn posted...
GoIrish80 posted...

Out of curiosity, I specced out a build that is very close to the $1599 Alienware Aurora configuration on PC Part Picker (including the Windows 10 Home license) and it came to $1389, so there's a difference, but it's not huge.

Honestly at that little of a difference and with AW doing a $200 off anything $1,599.99 and over i would just stick with a prebuilt.

Jonbazookaboz
3 weeks ago#9
Only thing is anything wrong at all in a prebuild. The whole thing goes back. Buy custom parts and something doesnt work. Only that part goes back

TexasGuard09
3 weeks ago#10
Jonbazookaboz posted...
Only thing is anything wrong at all in a prebuild. The whole thing goes back. Buy custom parts and something doesnt work. Only that part goes back

Yeah that's true as well. I'm also considering just upgrading my current rig. Do i even need the I7 processor? My I5 does a pretty good job. Also could i totally replace the ram with let's say a corsair or Gskill set? The shop i used came up with a different brand that's basically a Chinese knockoff IIRC.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is the Alienware Aurora still a good choice?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived