This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Does RAM die slowly? Or at all?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Does RAM die slowly? Or at all?

User Info: superstud69x

superstud69x
2 months ago#1
When I got home from work, I tried turning my PC on, and the PSU started up, then turned off, then turned back on, but no signal on the monitor. After a few tries of this, I noticed all fans and such running, and randomly decided to take out a RAM stick (8GB DDR3). Computer turned on. I turned off again, reseated the RAM stick, and the PC booted up fine again. Now I'm paranoid. Does RAM die slowly? Should I just buy more? Or is it possible it was a one time thing? I've had the computer since 2012-2013ish (when the GTX 780 came out), and never had any other problems.
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
2 months ago#2
It's possible there was just dust on the contacts. However, yes, RAM does die slowly. Very very very very very very very slowly. Probably slower than everything else in your system.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud

User Info: CursedPanther

CursedPanther
2 months ago#3
Come back and tell us again if it happens once more. We may not see you for another year actually.

superstud69x
2 months ago#4
It's been working fine for a few hours now, so I'm hoping it was a one time problem. We'll see around noon tomorrow when I wake up and turn it on again, I guess. I hope it's just the RAM. I can live off 8GB for a while, but I sure as hell can't afford a new PC/CPU/GPU/Anything big.
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.

User Info: Fade2black001

Fade2black001
2 months ago#5
DarkZV2Beta posted...
It's possible there was just dust on the contacts. However, yes, RAM does die slowly. Very very very very very very very slowly. Probably slower than everything else in your system.

Yeah no kidding, RAM takes decades for it to die and if it does die it was faulty to begin with
Put on a smile cause Jesus loves you

superstud69x
2 months ago#6
Well, I've had this PC (and RAM) since the GTX 780 came out and this is the first real problem I've had (besides an internal HDD dying), so if it was faulty it took it's time showing it I guess.

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
2 months ago#7
Yeah, no, all RAM dies eventually. Nothing is going to last forever, but RAM tends to last probably about as well as your CPU does, possibly with the exception VRAM, which gets a much heavier workout, gets much hotter, and often times doesn't really have the greatest cooling. If it's running stock, it's much, much more likely for your board to crap out than your RAM.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud

User Info: SinisterSlay

SinisterSlay
2 months ago#8
RAM is a degenerative technology.
It's always very slowly wearing out. If you ever overheat it, the rate of decay is permanently accelerated. Same goes for vram.
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence

User Info: builder111

builder111
2 months ago#9
Every Ram dies, not every Ram really lives.
caps

User Info: Garage_Man

Garage_Man
2 months ago#10
builder111 posted...
Every Ram dies, not every Ram really lives.

If it never really lives was it alive in the first place?
The aliens. The Aliens. THE ALIENS!!!!!
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Does RAM die slowly? Or at all?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived