This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PC Piracy increases videogame sales, according to a report

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. PC Piracy increases videogame sales, according to a report

User Info: Orestes417

Orestes417
1 month ago#11
arleas posted...
kobalobasileus posted...
I support a far more liberal Public Domain that envelopes all software and media a decade at most after release.

You know, if they had just stuck with the original Copyright limits, it wouldn't be so bad. That used to be 14 years and renewable for another 14. That would be dandy compared to now, which is basically designed to let large major corporations hoard every piece of intellectual property until nobody can fart in a hallway without needing to pay a royalty fee.

I'm fine with allowing the original human author of a work to renew up until the end of their natural lifespan and perhaps one time afterwards for the estate depending on how long they actually lived. The problem comes in when we gave corporations what amounts to legal personhood.
When nothing remains everything becomes possible.

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
1 month ago#12
Sooooo how about demos for all games then.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

User Info: arleas

arleas
1 month ago#13
Orestes417 posted...
The problem comes in when we gave corporations what amounts to legal personhood.

Yeah, I say if corporations are people, let's draft them into the next war (N.Korea?)
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
FC: 3325-5440-8407 Dream Code:5E00-0013-7C61

User Info: Heisenberg312

Heisenberg312
1 month ago#14
With all the money pirates save by not buying games, you think they would move out of their parent's home by now.
Now, say my name.

User Info: CursedPanther

CursedPanther
1 month ago#15
Heisenberg312 posted...
With all the money pirates save by not buying games, you think they would move out of their parent's home by now.

They've spent it on upgrading to better Internet services so they can pirate even more faster.

User Info: slyman19

slyman19
1 month ago#16
arleas posted...
kobalobasileus posted...
I support a far more liberal Public Domain that envelopes all software and media a decade at most after release.

You know, if they had just stuck with the original Copyright limits, it wouldn't be so bad. That used to be 14 years and renewable for another 14. That would be dandy compared to now, which is basically designed to let large major corporations hoard every piece of intellectual property until nobody can fart in a hallway without needing to pay a royalty fee.

Why shouldn't a company get to keep what they came up with? Why should s*** head dumbasses leech off the ideas of others to such an extreme degree?

slyman19
1 month ago#17
kobalobasileus posted...

That's disgusting.

Orestes417
1 month ago#18
slyman19 posted...
arleas posted...
kobalobasileus posted...

Why shouldn't a company get to keep what they came up with? Why should s*** head dumbasses leech off the ideas of others to such an extreme degree?

Because the original intent of copyright was a limited time monopoly in exchange for eventually entering public domain (and also a means for the crown to exert control over publishing but that's a more complicated subject). Allowing corporations to renew indefinitely flies in the face of the whole damn concept. It was NEVER intended to be a permanent thing.

slyman19
1 month ago#19
Orestes417 posted...
slyman19 posted...
arleas posted...
kobalobasileus posted...

Because the original intent of copyright was a limited time monopoly in exchange for eventually entering public domain (and also a means for the crown to exert control over publishing but that's a more complicated subject). Allowing corporations to renew indefinitely flies in the face of the whole damn concept. It was NEVER intended to be a permanent thing.

Well guess what, cupcake. Things change. Rights should indefinitely belong to the creators, not the disgusting leeches of the world.

Orestes417
1 month ago#20
slyman19 posted...
Orestes417 posted...
slyman19 posted...
arleas posted...
kobalobasileus posted...

Well guess what, cupcake. Things change. Rights should indefinitely belong to the creators, not the disgusting leeches of the world.

Not your place to make that call troll boy, now go back to your cave.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. PC Piracy increases videogame sales, according to a report

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived