This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PC Piracy increases videogame sales, according to a report

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. PC Piracy increases videogame sales, according to a report

User Info: slyman19

slyman19
2 months ago#21
Orestes417 posted...
slyman19 posted...
Orestes417 posted...
slyman19 posted...
arleas posted...
kobalobasileus posted...
I support a far more liberal Public Domain that envelopes all software and media a decade at most after release.

You know, if they had just stuck with the original Copyright limits, it wouldn't be so bad. That used to be 14 years and renewable for another 14. That would be dandy compared to now, which is basically designed to let large major corporations hoard every piece of intellectual property until nobody can fart in a hallway without needing to pay a royalty fee.

Why shouldn't a company get to keep what they came up with? Why should s*** head dumbasses leech off the ideas of others to such an extreme degree?

Because the original intent of copyright was a limited time monopoly in exchange for eventually entering public domain (and also a means for the crown to exert control over publishing but that's a more complicated subject). Allowing corporations to renew indefinitely flies in the face of the whole damn concept. It was NEVER intended to be a permanent thing.

Well guess what, cupcake. Things change. Rights should indefinitely belong to the creators, not the disgusting leeches of the world.

Not your place to make that call troll boy, now go back to your cave.

It seems to be heading my way though. Not trolling. I just get disgusted by leeches. Pieces of s*** who think they are entitled to things because reasons.

User Info: tzuyd

tzuyd
2 months ago#22
Jason_Hudson posted...
Though I'm sure publishers will ignore this and spin

To be fair, publishers are beholden to their shareholders. Shareholders simply won't accept that there is nothing to be done in the fight against piracy; they expect action to be taken. It's because of shareholders that publishers are forced to pretend to be taking actions against piracy.
I sexually identify as a 100% inoffensively correct person. My pronouns are 'yes', 'uh huh' and 'absolutely'.

User Info: WhyWontHeFall

WhyWontHeFall
2 months ago#23
Bump.

Koei Tecmo = Why we love pirates

User Info: YummyBear222

YummyBear222
2 months ago#24
Movie industry was also panicking until they realized they were still making money.
"Adventures of Beggar Hero Wu Obi, The Romance of Three Kingdoms Story"
http://wuobi1.wixsite.com/wuobi

User Info: ganondorf77

ganondorf77
2 months ago#25
According to a report???? This is a fact since the 80s. It's so obvious that it should not be mentioned at all, and a lot worse is to say "new reports say this is a thing". There is no need to prove it, but there are evidences, like Tomb Raider selling better the first 6 months with piracy than RotTR, one of the first games to have Denuvo, and was not cracked until 6 months after release.
Bu!

User Info: KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade
2 months ago#26
Orestes417 posted...
I'm fine with allowing the original human author of a work to renew up until the end of their natural lifespan and perhaps one time afterwards for the estate depending on how long they actually lived. The problem comes in when we gave corporations what amounts to legal personhood.
I'm with you on that, except for letting the estate cash in on it.

That part I'm not for.

It should be valid for the Natural Lifespan of the Author or equivalent average human life span or maximum theoretical possible based on existing evidence case of longest possible human life span should they die of unnatural causes.
Are you a MexiCAN or a MexiCAN'T - Johnny Depp 'Once Upon A Time in Mexico'

User Info: Orestes417

Orestes417
2 months ago#27
KamenRiderBlade posted...
Orestes417 posted...
I'm fine with allowing the original human author of a work to renew up until the end of their natural lifespan and perhaps one time afterwards for the estate depending on how long they actually lived. The problem comes in when we gave corporations what amounts to legal personhood.
I'm with you on that, except for letting the estate cash in on it.

That part I'm not for.

It should be valid for the Natural Lifespan of the Author or equivalent average human life span or maximum theoretical possible based on existing evidence case of longest possible human life span should they die of unnatural causes.

All I'm saying with the estate thing is that, if for some reason the creator dies early on in the initial copyright term there should be a provision for one renewal.
When nothing remains everything becomes possible.

User Info: Jedi454

Jedi454
2 months ago#28
I support piracy because it will trigger Slyman16.
England is my city.

User Info: arleas

arleas
2 months ago#29
Orestes417 posted...
slyman19 posted...
arleas posted...
kobalobasileus posted...
I support a far more liberal Public Domain that envelopes all software and media a decade at most after release.

You know, if they had just stuck with the original Copyright limits, it wouldn't be so bad. That used to be 14 years and renewable for another 14. That would be dandy compared to now, which is basically designed to let large major corporations hoard every piece of intellectual property until nobody can fart in a hallway without needing to pay a royalty fee.

Why shouldn't a company get to keep what they came up with? Why should s*** head dumbasses leech off the ideas of others to such an extreme degree?

Because the original intent of copyright was a limited time monopoly in exchange for eventually entering public domain (and also a means for the crown to exert control over publishing but that's a more complicated subject). Allowing corporations to renew indefinitely flies in the face of the whole damn concept. It was NEVER intended to be a permanent thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk862BbjWx4

This says it better than I could
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
FC: 3325-5440-8407 Dream Code:5E00-0013-7C61

User Info: fallen_acolyte

fallen_acolyte
2 months ago#30
I guess I was doing my part.

* beats chest.

Serious note. Some games I'm iffy about I'll try then delete. If I love it, I'll buy it.
()___(_______()~~
PSN: Fallen_Acolyte XBL: Fallen Acolyte
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. PC Piracy increases videogame sales, according to a report

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived