This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Boobies increase videogame sales, according to a report

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Boobies increase videogame sales, according to a report

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
3 weeks ago#31
Spaced92 posted...
there have been many games good and bad that focused on sex appeal to market the game and never got taken seriously because of it

Probably has something to do with the misconception that the video-game market is largely teen/preeteen boys when the average age has always been 21+, and generally when you get a little older and your dick is no longer in complete control you view such marketing with a suspicious eye.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii-U | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES

User Info: daemon_dan

daemon_dan
3 weeks ago#32
JKatarn posted...
kaufmaniac posted...
Having said that.Does anyone know the name of this cosplayer?

Lol, the look on her face is saying "what the hell am I doing with my life/when do I get out of here?".

Nice projection there. The amount of work and care that went into making her costume either consumed a decent amount of time of her life, or she paid handsomely to have it made. She looks tired more than anything. At cons, that's not a surprise.

JKatarn posted...
daemon_dan posted...
So here's the thing. Sex sells. No one who ever buys a game with t*** on the cover bought it BECAUSE of the t*** on the cover. The t*** grab your attention.

Of course, but knowing that "sex sells" I see a cover festooned with CG/animated/real boobies as warning sign of a subpar game. If they have such little confidence in their game that they have to fall back on tired old marketing tactics, it's probably not the game for me. This is not always true of course, but a good guideline. Hell, if you turn off adblock on this site I'm sure you'll see no shortage of ads for free-to-play dreck featuring scantily-clad elves/maidens in suggestive poses.

Of course you would. But that's the thing. Sexualization draws your eyes, it doesn't MAKE you actually play or buy a game. That's why those click-bait games are a dime a dozen and you won't find any substance cause there is none. whereas, say, Odin Sphere has a sexualized cover and you actually look into the game and it's amazing. And you can't tell me that there's no difference between eye-grabbing sexuality and sexuality as a sole selling point. If you try, then I know that you just don't look at things past a suface level
"Don't you know our lives are on trial now? And if we lose, we're going straight to Hell! I could care less."
~DevilDriver: I Could Care Less

User Info: WhyWontHeFall

WhyWontHeFall
3 weeks ago#33
kaufmaniac posted...

Having said that.Does anyone know the name of this cosplayer?
https://imgur.com/cGRngKC

No idea. But she done Taki right, including the nips.

But what about that guy behind her? Either he's not got his priorities in order or it's a poker face from looking at that behind.

daemon_dan
3 weeks ago#34
JKatarn posted...
Spaced92 posted...
there have been many games good and bad that focused on sex appeal to market the game and never got taken seriously because of it

Probably has something to do with the misconception that the video-game market is largely teen/preeteen boys when the average age has always been 21+, and generally when you get a little older and your dick is no longer in complete control you view such marketing with a suspicious eye.

Nope. I'm almost 30 and I know exactly what people are trying to do when I see t*** in my face. And I think most people do. And I think most people are capable of thinking about what's beneath the surface of the eye-grab. Let's face it, people who aren't really into gaming news or forums probably don't know what some games offers and a good eye-grab, regardless of what it is, can get your game into a gamer's hands easier.

How about a non-sexual eyegrab? Just passing by these two covers, which are YOU more likely to look at a little closer?

https://i.imgur.com/slL9v4k.jpg

Or

https://i.imgur.com/Erd9LPZ.jpg
"Don't you know our lives are on trial now? And if we lose, we're going straight to Hell! I could care less."

daemon_dan
3 weeks ago#35
And I'm not saying you'll buy either game just based on that. But which one would you pay more ATTENTION to just from a visual perspective?

User Info: Nixemo

Nixemo
3 weeks ago#36
daemon_dan posted...
"Don't you know our lives are on trial now? And if we lose, we're going straight to Hell! I could care less."~DevilDriver: I Could Care Less

As someone who has seen DevilDriver live and can appreciate their music despite it being somewhat generic and run-of-the-mill... I find it funny that Dez Fafara doesn't understand that the correct phrase is, "I couldn't care less."
Listen to post-punk.

User Info: ElDudorino

ElDudorino
3 weeks ago#37
That, or he knows but he could care less.

User Info: RiotJune

RiotJune
3 weeks ago#38
nice

daemon_dan
3 weeks ago#39
Nixemo posted...
daemon_dan posted...
"Don't you know our lives are on trial now? And if we lose, we're going straight to Hell! I could care less."~DevilDriver: I Could Care Less

As someone who has seen DevilDriver live and can appreciate their music despite it being somewhat generic and run-of-the-mill... I find it funny that Dez Fafara doesn't understand that the correct phrase is, "I couldn't care less."

I really like their music and the energy they put into stage shows. And yeah, their style has become run of the mill these days but back during their debut I just couldn't get that harsh, heavy sound with the groove stylings they had many other places at the time. And yeah, it is kinda funny but at the same time, colloquialisms being what they are, having to nit pick 'I could care less' vs 'I couldn't care less' kind of becomes a pedantic argument.

User Info: arleas

arleas
3 weeks ago#40
In general I can tell the difference between a subtle "sex sells" and a blatant "We don't want to show the screenshot from our s***ty game so here's a chick in a bikini" type of deal.

I don't have any specific memories for games that sold me based on the packaging though since I've been buying primarily digital (or buying physical games online) for the last 12-13 years.

kaufmaniac posted...
Does anyone know the name of this cosplayer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sttEFXC0780
https://misssinistercosplay.deviantart.com/gallery/40932488/Taki-Cosplay

Google says it's this person. It also says that the image in question is from 2010, and the stuff in the deviantart is more recent. It might be the same person or maybe different. The color of her outfit isn't quite the same but everything else looks reasonably close.
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
FC: 3325-5440-8407 Dream Code:5E00-0013-7C61
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Boobies increase videogame sales, according to a report

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived