This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

problem with a computer given to my brother

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. problem with a computer given to my brother

User Info: returnofbeans

returnofbeans
3 weeks ago#1
long story short, cousin upgraded. gave his old build to my brother.

so we put it all together yesterday but it wouldn't display on our monitor. PC case is new, when powered on, the LED fan starts up and lights, so i know it's getting power from the motherboard. CPU fan also spins up.

i was thinking it might be the motherboard since it doesn't display anything. connecting to the gpu or the motherboard made no difference, tried vga, dvi and hdmi ports from both. though that wouldn't seem right since power is being received through the motherboard.

tried without having the gpu plugged in too.

thought ram might be bad, but it would still get to bios screen even with bad ram right?

specs:
GPU = gt 630 (cousin is giving him 750 TI next time we meet)
CPU = ???
motherboard = MSI NF980-g65 (cpu might be an athlon, cousin can't remember what he had)
RAM = 4GB (2GB+2GB)
HDD = some generic HDD we took from a laptop.
Intel i5-4570 3.2Ghz / MSI Z87-G41 / MSI R9 390 gaming 8G / 2X4GB and 2X8GB RAM / 240GB SSD + 2TB+3TB HDD / MSI R9 390 gaming 8G / EVGA supernova 750W bronze

User Info: shmirlywhirl

shmirlywhirl
3 weeks ago#2
Might be the PSU. When my PSU quit on me the fans would spin up but the computer wouldn't POST.
Now with 100% real fruit juice

User Info: godplaysSNES

godplaysSNES
3 weeks ago#3
Did your cousin verify everything was working when he used it? And is everything except the HDD his old stuff?

Does it just stay powered on but nothing happens? Or does it turn off or restart eventually?

Try pulling the battery from the motherboard to clear CMOS.
Bad RAM can prevent you from reaching the BIOS logo. Try each stick separately, also in different slots.
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!

returnofbeans
3 weeks ago#4
shmirlywhirl posted...
Might be the PSU. When my PSU quit on me the fans would spin up but the computer wouldn't POST.

this would be great if it turns out to be it. i have a spare 500w from my own old built.

i'll test this part last since it requires the most unplugging.

godplaysSNES posted...
Did your cousin verify everything was working when he used it? And is everything except the HDD his old stuff?

Does it just stay powered on but nothing happens? Or does it turn off or restart eventually?

Try pulling the battery from the motherboard to clear CMOS.
Bad RAM can prevent you from reaching the BIOS logo. Try each stick separately, also in different slots.

yes, it did work before he upgraded. it was his old LoL build before he started gaming seriously. everything but the HDD and case is his. monitor is also ours and working in case that info is also needed.

yeah, powers on and nothing happens no matter how long we sit there. no turn off or restart.
motherboard was missing cmos battery actually. we went out an bought one while putting it together so it should already be cleared. will still give it a try.

first we'll try the battery. then the ram sticks, then my PSU. we'll be back in a bit to give a report.
Intel i5-4570 3.2Ghz / MSI Z87-G41 / MSI R9 390 gaming 8G / 2X4GB and 2X8GB RAM / 240GB SSD + 2TB+3TB HDD / MSI R9 390 gaming 8G / EVGA supernova 750W bronze

returnofbeans
3 weeks ago#5
bump. so it's working now. it gets to the part where it ask to plug in a device to boot from. we took out the HDD to put back in the laptop since we couldn't figure out what was wrong. i'm sure it'll work once it gets put back in.

anyways, the PSU was indeed the broken part.

tried the ram and battery and still the same. once i put in my old PSU, it booted up. so thanks for the advice.
(message deleted)

returnofbeans
3 weeks ago#7
returnofbeans posted...
bump. so it's working now. it gets to the part where it ask to plug in a device to boot from. we took out the HDD to put back in the laptop since we couldn't figure out what was wrong. i'm sure it'll work once it gets put back in.

anyways, the PSU was indeed the broken part.

tried the ram and battery and still the same. once i put in my old PSU, it booted up. so thanks for the advice.

edit: update. got the HDD in and everything is going great. just a bunch of windows updates to install. thanks for the help again.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. problem with a computer given to my brother

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived