This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Shadow of War PC 100 GB confirmed file size . High resolution confirmed.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Shadow of War PC 100 GB confirmed file size . High resolution confirmed.

User Info: Tyranius2

Tyranius2
2 months ago#31
Just remember that pirate rips will rip out the unnecessary extra languages [the game is fully voiced in 7 f***ing languages] + compress s*** so the download size will be about 45GBs or so.

Once again, pirates getting the better product AND service lmao
Bolsonaro 2018
Fizz Buzz for life

User Info: GTL581

GTL581
2 months ago#32
Pauken posted...
I knew it. By 2030 modern games will eat up a whole 1tb hard drive.

Gaming Industry Crash 2.0 when?

i'd say that's being rather generous, games can already eat up a 1tb drive if you pick the right ones.

it is funny that you think 1tb drives will still be relevant for main storage in 13 years though - that would be like trying to use 150gb drive for all of your needs these days. the main problem i see with this isn't with hard drive space at all, but rather with download speeds. and even then, it's not the game designer's fault, the issue lies strictly with isps keeping bandwidth from advancing at the same rate as all other technology. hopefully it comes to bite them in the ass, sooner rather than later.

Tyranius2 posted...
pirate rips will rip out the unnecessary extra languages

pirates getting the better product

i had forgotten that english is the only language that matters, and all others are merely superfluous fluff. how silly of me.

User Info: Ultimate_Noob

Ultimate_Noob
2 months ago#33
Wouldn't pirates just rip out other languages (including English) as separate downloads?
A pc's brain is the cpu, its heart is the motherboard, its stomach is the hard drive, and its anus is the user.

GTL581
2 months ago#34
Ultimate_Noob posted...
Wouldn't pirates just rip out other languages (including English) as separate downloads?

i'm not familiar with the practices of how pirated games are handled, is that normally the case?

User Info: ablerider

ablerider
2 months ago#35
If the original game is any indication then a good chunk of data is going to be from the ultra textures. I hope they offer those as free DLC like in the first one, l used them but they aren't worth 25gb extra.

User Info: Tyranius2

Tyranius2
2 months ago#36
GTL581 posted...
i had forgotten that english is the only language that matters, and all others are merely superfluous fluff. how silly of me.

English isn't even my first language. All languages that are not the one you will play in are unnecessary. I would play in English so anything else is unnecessary for me. It may differ for you in which case you would get the pack that comes with your language and no other.

Point is, language packs should be something optional that you download if you want, not lazily forced.
Bolsonaro 2018
Fizz Buzz for life

User Info: Marikhen

Marikhen
2 months ago#37
Pauken posted...
I knew it. By 2030 modern games will eat up a whole 1tb hard drive.

Wing Commander IV's 3GB in 1996 to 100GB for whatever in 2016 is roughly a 33.3~x increase over 20 years. We'd be looking at 33.3~TB by 2036'ish if that keeps up.

GTL581 posted...
it is funny that you think 1tb drives will still be relevant for main storage in 13 years though - that would be like trying to use 150gb drive for all of your needs these days.

Probably closer to 320GB if you consider using 250MB drives back in the mid 90s to be insufficient.

GTL581 posted...
i'm not familiar with the practices of how pirated games are handled, is that normally the case?

With "repacks," yes, but with other versions it's more common to see "multi-5" or "multi-8" implying that they have language support for 5, 8, or however many languages. At least when language is an issue worth mentioning.

Tyranius2 posted...
Point is, language packs should be something optional that you download if you want, not lazily forced.

I agree with this. Multiple language support in The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing - Final Cut took up, IIRC, several hundred megabytes to a gigabyte of extra drive space.

With digitally distributed games there's literally no reason to have customers download data for languages they don't speak much less understand if they don't want to.
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?

GTL581
2 months ago#38
Marikhen posted...
Wing Commander IV's 3GB in 1996 to 100GB for whatever in 2016 is roughly a 33.3~x increase over 20 years. We'd be looking at 33.3~TB by 2036'ish if that keeps up.

i think your math is a little off. 100gb x 33.3 would be 3.3tb, but this is also under the assumption that games increase in size at an even rate. let's take something from 10 years prior from wc4, games were about 1000th the size, being only a few mb at largest; if things stacked up the way that they did between those 10 years, every 10 years, then we'd all be f***ed by now as games would be multiple petabytes. also worth mentioning is that wc4 is a gross outlier for the time that it came out, big-budget aaa games didn't start hitting multiple gb of size on average until well into the 2000s. as you mentioned in an earlier post, we're much better off now than we were, at least in terms of a game size to storage space ratio

Probably closer to 320GB if you consider using 250MB drives back in the mid 90s to be insufficient.

was basing off of what google told me - the average hard drive size of 13 years ago was about 150gb, give or take
The cranky hermit 2 months ago#39
I don't think WC4 even supported a full install; maybe you could manually copy files from the discs, but I distinctly remember that a "full install" from the setup was only 30MB.

The first game I can recall that needed over 3GB of space was Metal Gear Solid 2. 2004 seems to be around the time that 3GB+ games became common. Half-Life 2, GTA: San Andreas, Painkiller Black, etc.
http://thecrankyhermit.shoutwiki.com
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!

User Info: Edavy89

Edavy89
2 months ago#40
Ghost_Turtle posted...
Edavy89 posted...
Born Lucky posted...
Unknown281 posted...
no game should be that big to download.

Agreed .
I've got 43 games installed in my Steam Folder , including Witcher 3, and all of them put together are less than 340 GB - for 43 games.
Just Cause 2 is a beautiful, gigantic game - it's only 4.8 GB
Im not installing a 100 GB game. Period

Moronic attitude.

HowTF is that moronic attitude? Dude's stance is 100% valid.

How much space programs take up, and how much storage space we have, has always, and will always continue to rise exponentially. Refusing to update with the times just because, is moronic. It would be like refusing to play anything past the lemmings because you don't want to progress past DOS.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Shadow of War PC 100 GB confirmed file size . High resolution confirmed.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived