This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Shadow of War PC 100 GB confirmed file size . High resolution confirmed.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Shadow of War PC 100 GB confirmed file size . High resolution confirmed.

User Info: monkmith

monkmith
2 months ago#41
installing pre-load right now, 66GB.
People die when they are killed.
Among horse, Red Hare. Among men, Lu Bu.

User Info: Combo Master

Combo Master
2 months ago#42
It sucks, but honestly, if you have s***ty speeds where you cannot just download it while you sleep or a cap on your internet, your isp is trash.
Combo Master

User Info: Ultimate_Noob

Ultimate_Noob
2 months ago#43
GTL581 posted...
Ultimate_Noob posted...
Wouldn't pirates just rip out other languages (including English) as separate downloads?

i'm not familiar with the practices of how pirated games are handled, is that normally the case?

I dunno either, but it just seems like something pirates who don't speak English would do if they're trying to thin the game size down.
A pc's brain is the cpu, its heart is the motherboard, its stomach is the hard drive, and its anus is the user.

User Info: Marikhen

Marikhen
2 months ago#44
GTL581 posted...
i think your math is a little off. 100gb x 33.3 would be 3.3tb

Pauken said that games would use 1TB, I was going based off of that.

GTL581 posted...
also worth mentioning is that wc4 is a gross outlier for the time that it came out, big-budget aaa games didn't start hitting multiple gb of size on average until well into the 2000s.

I don't see that that's an issue when the games we're discussing are, or were at the time of their release, "outliers" in their own right, and while Wing Commander 4's 6 disc legacy might have taken awhile to beat we routinely saw 4 disc games on the Playstation thanks to all of the FMV being pushed out at the time.

Edavy89 posted...
How much space programs take up, and how much storage space we have, has always, and will always continue to rise exponentially.

Sad thing is that there are plenty of modern games with tiny footprints. The Binding of Isaac, for example, is maybe 4x the size of the original Doom. Soldak Entertainment's entire library probably wouldn't take up even 3GB; in fact Depths of Peril, Din's Curse, and Drox Operative collectively consume just under 500MB. Paper Sorcerer is under 500MB, One Way Heroics is barely over 125MB, and Terraria's under 250MB of data, though its actual footprint is a bit over 260MB.

Of course there are games on the other end such as Grim Dawn, The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing - Final Cut, Torchlight 2, and Path of Exile which take up nearly 10GB, 34GB, 8.5GB, and 8.2GB which contrast with older titles such as Diablo 2 and its 2GB and Harbinger with its 450MB size.

In the end I wouldn't so much say that the size of games will always increase apace with storage capacity so much as the maximum plausible size for games will continue to increase. We see a growth in asset size as more games use higher quality art files, better audio, more unique models and textures instead of recycling models and/or engaging in palette swapping of textures/sprites, and so on as evidenced by Titan Quest and its expansion using 6.8GB (or around 5GB for the "Anniversary Edition" according to the requirements portion of its Steam page) while Grim Dawn, from substantially the same developer and with substantially the same engine, comes in at 8.99GB data size and, at least for me, a 9.12GB footprint.

Still, it's only something worth really griping about when there's no real need for it. A game digitally distributed to/bought by an English-speaking consumer probably shouldn't suck up another 5GB for multi-language support, and releasing a "high-res" texture package with your game that has a 112% increase in size for a 1.12% increase in visual quality would be asinine.
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?
The cranky hermit 2 months ago#45
Marikhen posted...

I don't see that that's an issue when the games we're discussing are, or were at the time of their release, "outliers" in their own right,

3GB is about is about a hundred times larger than the typical game install size back in 1997. An "outlier" by today's standards would have to be in the TBs to compare to that.

Plus there's the fact that, unless I'm mistaken, WC4 was never meant to be fully installed.
http://thecrankyhermit.shoutwiki.com
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!

User Info: enderall

enderall
2 months ago#46
Right now my connection is 6 megs and the best I can afford where I live is 15 megs which I will soon upgrade. This is crazy...
i3 6100, GIGABYTE Radeon Rx 480 8GB WINDFORCE, Corsair Vengeance 8 GB RAM Red LED, EVGA 600w White PSU, Toshiba 500 GB HD, Riotoro CR 480, GIGABYTE Intel H110

User Info: monkmith

monkmith
2 months ago#47
enderall posted...
Right now my connection is 6 megs and the best I can afford where I live is 15 megs which I will soon upgrade. This is crazy...

@enderall its also a lie. original download was 65GB. there are separate 4K texture packs you can choose to download.
People die when they are killed.
Among horse, Red Hare. Among men, Lu Bu.

User Info: ablerider

ablerider
2 months ago#48
monkmith posted...
enderall posted...

@enderall its also a lie. original download was 65GB. there are separate 4K texture packs you can choose to download.

Ohh so it is like the first one then. This topic was very misleading but l guess that's what l get for trusting gamefaqs.

User Info: enderall

enderall
2 months ago#49
ablerider posted...
monkmith posted...
enderall posted...

Ohh so it is like the first one then. This topic was very misleading but l guess that's what l get for trusting gamefaqs.

Look, even the original size is overkill for a 15 megs connection.
i3 6100, GIGABYTE Radeon Rx 480 8GB WINDFORCE, Corsair Vengeance 8 GB RAM Red LED, EVGA 600w White PSU, Toshiba 500 GB HD, Riotoro CR 480, GIGABYTE Intel H110

User Info: _Marka_Ragnos_

_Marka_Ragnos_
2 months ago#50
Glad I have gigabit internet from Verizon.
My system: http://m.imgur.com/a/la41r
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Shadow of War PC 100 GB confirmed file size . High resolution confirmed.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived