This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Shadow of War PC 100 GB confirmed file size . High resolution confirmed.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Shadow of War PC 100 GB confirmed file size . High resolution confirmed.

User Info: monkmith

monkmith
2 months ago#51
enderall posted...
ablerider posted...
monkmith posted...
enderall posted...
Right now my connection is 6 megs and the best I can afford where I live is 15 megs which I will soon upgrade. This is crazy...

@enderall its also a lie. original download was 65GB. there are separate 4K texture packs you can choose to download.

Ohh so it is like the first one then. This topic was very misleading but l guess that's what l get for trusting gamefaqs.

Look, even the original size is overkill for a 15 megs connection.

dont buy games on steam then. many of the new big name games are stupid large now.
People die when they are killed.
Among horse, Red Hare. Among men, Lu Bu.

User Info: d_parker

d_parker
2 months ago#52
Holy poop.

User Info: Dredj

Dredj
2 months ago#53
Mine was 69GB which downloaded in about 20 mins. My peak speed was 27.5MB/s.

No idea why some peeps have 100GB downloads.

User Info: jhon2345

jhon2345
2 months ago#54
buy the game but download the repack.

Highly compressed repack is 23gb for this game.

User Info: Marikhen

Marikhen
2 months ago#55
The cranky hermit posted...
3GB is about is about a hundred times larger than the typical game install size back in 1997.

Diablo with expansion takes up 667MB or so on my machine, and the expansion takes up only about 167MB of that. Quake 2 takes up a bit over 400MB as well. Civilization 2 had about 510MB of data on the disc, but I don't have it installed (or a CD drive to install it with) to confirm how much of that gets installed locally. Starcraft with expansion takes up 1.2GB with about half of that being for the expansion. GOG's edition of Dungeon Keeper Gold comes in at 357MB without the "goodies," and even figuring some bloat into the mix it should be over 300MB for the original 1997 release. Hell, 1993's SimCity 2000 takes up about 100MB, and 1998's Unreal came in at around 550MB.

That's not even getting into the FMV-heavy games like Phantasmagoria that were pretty popular thanks to the widespread adoption of CD-ROM drives making such large games more plausible/accessible.

Even granting some license for hyperbole, "about a hundred times larger" is a bit excessive since even with SimCity 2000 it overshoots the mark by threefold. In SimCity 2000's case it's more like 30x larger, and in the case of titles like Starcraft and Unreal it's only 5-6x larger. When you consider that most folks probably consider 6-10GB "average" for current game sizes that starts the "outlier" range at around 50-60GB range.

The cranky hermit posted...
Plus there's the fact that, unless I'm mistaken, WC4 was never meant to be fully installed.

At the time of its release it wasn't practical for most players to do so to do so, no, but at the same time nothing special was required to get the game to properly utilize the media files once transferred to the hard drive. You didn't have to edit .ini or .cfg files, and you didn't have to "crack" the executable. It was just drag, drop, play with the implication that the developers designed the game to allow for running the video files locally.

Pretty much the same thing with Diablo and the diabdat.mpq file which was left on the CD by default even though it could be installed locally and run from your hard drive without issue.
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?

User Info: SaiDucc

SaiDucc
2 months ago#56
I've seen gameplay, where exactly have they placed these high textures? it looks incredibly mediocre, graphcially.
The cranky hermit 2 months ago#57
Marikhen posted...
Diablo with expansion takes up 667MB or so on my machine, and the expansion takes up only about 167MB of that. Quake 2 takes up a bit over 400MB as well. Civilization 2 had about 510MB of data on the disc, but I don't have it installed (or a CD drive to install it with) to confirm how much of that gets installed locally. Starcraft with expansion takes up 1.2GB with about half of that being for the expansion. GOG's edition of Dungeon Keeper Gold comes in at 357MB without the "goodies," and even figuring some bloat into the mix it should be over 300MB for the original 1997 release. Hell, 1993's SimCity 2000 takes up about 100MB, and 1998's Unreal came in at around 550MB.

But none of those games used up nearly that much space on launch. Diablo did not let you do a full install, Quake 2's "full install" didn't copy over the soundtrack, Civ 2 didn't install the FMVs or the soundtrack, and GOG releases are repackaged versions since having the disc in the drive isn't an option.

SimCity 2000 definitely did not use 100MB in 1993! More like 7MB.

At the time of its release it wasn't practical for most players to do so to do so, no, but at the same time nothing special was required to get the game to properly utilize the media files once transferred to the hard drive.

Aside the point. This wasn't a standard feature of the installer, so there's no implication that this option is there by design.

The game logic just needs to say "look for the file I want on the hard drive, and if it's not there check the CD." This logic makes sense since WC3 & 4 had multiple possible install sizes.
http://thecrankyhermit.shoutwiki.com
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!

User Info: Kharillle

Kharillle
2 months ago#58
heard something about 5g phones being so much faster. I guess we're all upgrading to 4T SSDs right around the corner.
No time for games so I twitch. Youtube is good. Two monitors at any one time. My graphics card ist krap.

User Info: Shah138

Shah138
2 months ago#59
Dredj posted...
Mine was 69GB which downloaded in about 20 mins. My peak speed was 27.5MB/s.

No idea why some peeps have 100GB downloads.

Maybe they're downloading the game and all the texture packs at the same time.
Spectre of Dark Aether

User Info: CursedPanther

CursedPanther
2 months ago#60
Kharillle posted...
heard something about 5g phones being so much faster. I guess we're all upgrading to 4T SSDs right around the corner.

Bigger bandwidth only means you'll hit your mobile data limit faster, so the telecom companies can sell you an even more expensive plan.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Shadow of War PC 100 GB confirmed file size . High resolution confirmed.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived