This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Shadow of War PC 100 GB confirmed file size . High resolution confirmed.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Shadow of War PC 100 GB confirmed file size . High resolution confirmed.

User Info: Marikhen

Marikhen
1 month ago#61
The cranky hermit posted...
Diablo did not let you do a full install

If by "let" you mean "offered the option in the installer software" then you are absolutely correct, but just like Wing Commander IV, Diablo did not object to and made use of having all the data files stored locally instead of on disc.

Quake 2's "full install" didn't copy over the soundtrack

And? The "full install" included 156MB in video files while the pak files easily ate up another 187MB for 343MB by themselves and in total. That's roughly 10% of Wing Commander IV's "full" size on disc, not the 1% you would suggest.

GOG releases are repackaged versions since having the disc in the drive isn't an option.

I do need to correct myself on this; I was looking at SimCity 2000 Special Edition, and that was released in 1995. However, the SC2000SE.DAT file is still 70.2MB by itself, and that's on top of the 2.5MB SC2000.DAT file size and the cities, scenarios, and sound driver directories adding another 8.8-9MB. Total size for this game is around 80MB at a minimum, not 30MB.

This wasn't a standard feature of the installer, so there's no implication that this option is there by design.

The game logic just needs to say "look for the file I want on the hard drive, and if it's not there check the CD." This logic makes sense since WC3 & 4 had multiple possible install sizes.

You might need to reword your point because it's coming off as contradictory to me, sort of like, "There's no proof it was done on purpose, but it could have been done with these purposeful steps."

Either way, I don't see how something that has to be manually implemented and which works correctly couldn't be implemented by design. I've had the (very) rare incident when messing around with software where things happened such as what should have been an infinite loop wasn't infinite and worked perfectly, a scenario that was even more puzzling when "fixing" the code broke the program, but I don't think that I've ever accidentally or unintentionally implemented unintended file access methods in a program.
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?
The cranky hermit 1 month ago#62
Marikhen posted...
And? The "full install" included 156MB in video files while the pak files easily ate up another 187MB for 343MB by themselves and in total.

That's for Quake II plus its two expansions. Quake II alone would have been less than half of that, and even then Quake II was an outlier of its time, not to mention almost two years newer than WC4.

However, the SC2000SE.DAT file is still 70.2MB by itself

That's an ISO of the disc. It was not part of a "full install" in 1995.

You might need to reword your point because it's coming off as contradictory to me, sort of like, "There's no proof it was done on purpose, but it could have been done with these purposeful steps."

The game supported multiple install sizes. 30MB was a full install, and minimal install was less than that. I am saying that they may have purposefully used logic to support both of these, and this same logic may have incidentally allowed a 3GB "install" to work.
http://thecrankyhermit.shoutwiki.com
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!

User Info: Marikhen

Marikhen
1 month ago#63
That's for Quake II plus its two expansions. Quake II alone would have been less than half of that,

Um, no, that's Quake 2 period. I never got the expansions.

even then Quake II was an outlier of its time, not to mention almost two years newer than WC4.

Fallout's listed system requirements have 565MB for the drive space and launched the month before Quake 2. Age of Empires launched about a month before Fallout and (supposedly, according to the only site I could find that wasn't GOG, Steam, or some other digital distributor) required 2GB drive space, at least according to the information I found.

That's an ISO of the disc. It was not part of a "full install" in 1995.

And yet the files contained therein still take up 70MB of drive space, so...

I am saying that they may have purposefully used logic to support both of these, and this same logic may have incidentally allowed a 3GB "install" to work.

Then are you not also supposing that the developers didn't think that anyone would try to fit all of the movie files onto a hard drive if they had the space available?

__

Frankly, I'm about done on this part of the topic at this point. Finding information on older games I don't have copies of is a pain in the ass, and while a few I've not mentioned are in the 30-80MB range there are far more that I couldn't find reliable size information on. Hell, I found some information on the 1996 Tomb Raider PC release that said it required 2GB drive space and a P3 CPU. :-/

It's not even a matter of not finding (enough) games to support my statements so much as how depressing it is to find page after page and site after site that either has no data, CPU/GPU data, or has hard drive data but it's suspect thanks to obviously erroneous data in other fields. Hell, I even resorted to looking at that System Requirements Lab joke site. >_>

Also not terribly keen on trying to exclude Diablo on the grounds of installer options when that would automatically exclude Wing Commander IV thereby rendering the whole discussion moot. If the debate revolves around a game's footprint when all of the data files are copied off of its disc(s) then all games where doing so is plausible and their "complete" drive footprints are fair game, and as that's the case with Wing Commander IV then Diablo is also fair game.

Edit:
Oh, and from the Quake 2 readme.txt file:
Minimum Install Additional Requirements (Play from CD-ROM)
* Quad-Speed CD-ROM drive (600k/sec. sustained transfer rate)
* Hard disk drive with at least 25 MB of uncompressed space available

Normal Install Additional Requirements (Play from Hard Disk)
* Quad-Speed CD-ROM drive (600k/sec. sustained transfer rate)
* Hard disk drive with at least 250 MB of uncompressed space available

Maximum Install Additional Requirements (Play from Hard Disk)
* Dual-Speed CD-ROM drive (300k/sec. sustained transfer rate)
* Hard disk drive with at least 400 MB of uncompressed space available

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that minimum, normal, and maximum are executable only, .pak file(s), and video files being installed locally, in that order.
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?
The cranky hermit 1 month ago#64
Marikhen posted...
Age of Empires launched about a month before Fallout and (supposedly, according to the only site I could find that wasn't GOG, Steam, or some other digital distributor) required 2GB drive space

It most certainly does not require 2GB drive space. It was a single CD-ROM, and most of the data was redbook audio.

You must have been looking at the system requirements for AOE3, because that game requires 2 GB. AOE1 and AOE2 use far less than that.

Hell, I found some information on the 1996 Tomb Raider PC release that said it required 2GB drive space and a P3 CPU. :-/

Pentium 3 didn't even exist until 1999, so that's pretty unlikely.

And yet the files contained therein still take up 70MB of drive space, so...

Did you not understand what I said? That's an ISO image. That means that in 1995, there were 70MB worth of files on the CD-ROM. It does not mean that the install size was 70MB. Most of those files would have stayed on the disc.

Then are you not also supposing that the developers didn't think that anyone would try to fit all of the movie files onto a hard drive if they had the space available?

Given that this is not an install option, no.

Also not terribly keen on trying to exclude Diablo on the grounds of installer options when that would automatically exclude Wing Commander IV thereby rendering the whole discussion moot.

I count Wing Commander IV as a 1996 game that used 30MB, not one that used 3 GB.
http://thecrankyhermit.shoutwiki.com
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Shadow of War PC 100 GB confirmed file size . High resolution confirmed.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived