This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Weird behavior on a new monitor (icons rearranging at 100hz setting after sleep)

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Weird behavior on a new monitor (icons rearranging at 100hz setting after sleep)

User Info: PhilOnDez

PhilOnDez
2 months ago#1
I bought a new monitor this week, upgrading from a run of the mill 1080p60hz monitor to a 3440x1440@100hz monitor. I'm having two minor problems with it that I never had with my old one that I'm trying to figure out. I'm still on windows 7, using a 4GB GTX670. This is the monitor in question: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074G5G8FT/

The first is that whenever it turns off, due to waking up from sleep, turning off automatically after 15 minutes of inactivity, or just pressing the power button, when it comes back on I get the windows notification sounds that something has been unplugged and then plugged in in rapid succession. This one isn't much of an issue but my old monitor definitely didn't do it. The original monitor was plugged in via HDMI while I have the new one plugged in via displayport.

A slightly more irritating problem is that when I have it set to 100hz, in addition to the unplug-replug noise, is that when it wakes from sleep or turns back on after inactivity my desktop icons are weirdly rearranged and any windows I had open, even minimized ones, are resized to be tiny. My first thought was that it was still trying to use my old monitor as the default monitor even though it was unhooked so I plugged it back in to try and set the new monitor as my default and it already was. I've made sure freesync is disabled on the monitor so that shouldn't be interfering in any way (not that I think it would regardless). I've gone through every tab of both the default Windows screen personalization and the nVidia control panel and don't see any options that I think would be causing this, so I'm just really not sure what's going on. I've tried having the monitor both enabled and disabled as an audio device and get the same behavior either way.

Neither issue is a massive problem but it'd be nice to get it straightened out if I can, it's my one hangup with this monitor, other than that it's a huge improvement in every way. Thanks in advance for any help, I'm going to head out for most of the night but I'll try to check in to see if anyone needs any additional info to make any suggestions.
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez

User Info: Savior82

Savior82
2 months ago#2
I had a similar issue on my Acer Predator screens, turning off "Deep Sleep" option made all problems go away. Maybe that monitor has something similar?
"The goat fetched soup? This is unbelievable!"

PhilOnDez
2 months ago#3
I'll have to check when I get home, that sounds like it could be the problem. I'm imagining it completely turns the monitor off rather than a normal sleep mode?

That's a monitor setting and not a windows setting right?
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there

User Info: mucloud

mucloud
2 months ago#4
Turn off the sleep function that should make it go away. Some monitor setting most likely were not, tested fully.
Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper White W10 64bit GA990FXAUD3 FX 8320 Vishera 8-Core Core 4.0 GHz 1000watt Rosewell PSU 32GB RAM XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB

PhilOnDez
2 months ago#5
Well, it does have an auto power off feature, I disabled that but it's still making noises when I wake from sleep. It actually made three noises when I woke it up this morning.

PhilOnDez
2 months ago#6
Bump. Still going on, and it's started resizing even at 60hz

User Info: Dragon Nexus

Dragon Nexus
2 months ago#7
The rearranging and window resizing sounds like it briefly flits between your resolution and something really small like 640x480 and then backa agin, so everything gets crammed up into the small space and then opened up again.

Unfortunatrly I don't know how such a thing could be miigated outside of "don't change the frequency setting" perhaps...
"Everything popular is wrong." - Oscar Wilde

PhilOnDez
2 months ago#8
Yeah, that's actually what I was thinking the problem was but I can't imagine why it would be doing that. It started out only doing it at 100hz but unfortunately it's started doing it at 60 now too. I haven't really messed with that setting since the day I got it since my 670 can't push that many frames in anything modern at that resolution.

Kinda thinking I might send it back. I also had a problem where it didn't auto detect input when I woke it from sleep last night so I had to manually power it on and off again, and the panel kind of makes a crunch noise when I open new windows for some reason. I thought it was just the panel settling in the frame at first since opening a new window generally involves moving my hand so with as big as the monitor is there's a bit of jiggle when I make large mouse movements but it hasn't stopped

PhilOnDez
1 month ago#9
Last bump before I look into returning it. It's a shame as I'm really happy with it otherwise

User Info: -5xad0w-

-5xad0w-
1 month ago#10
Dragon Nexus posted...
The rearranging and window resizing sounds like it briefly flits between your resolution and something really small like 640x480 and then backa agin, so everything gets crammed up into the small space and then opened up again.

That is what I was thinking as it happened to me with an old AMD video card. (forget what model, 7770 maybe?)

Anytime the monitor went into sleep mode it would come back with all my windows jammed into the upper left of my desktop.

In my case, it was the video card doing it* as it stopped when I got a GTX 780.

*or at least a combination of that video card and monitor
"This is a cool way to die!" -Philip J. Fry
KCO222OB|1440 Watts|6 Slice|Timer|Crumb Tray|Is a Toaster Oven
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Weird behavior on a new monitor (icons rearranging at 100hz setting after sleep)

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived