This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Looking for recommendation between 2 routers

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Looking for recommendation between 2 routers

User Info: Abyss89

Abyss89
2 months ago#1
So I realise this might be super hard for someone to answer but I'm honestly lost on which to choose.
I currently have a Netgear N750 dgnd4000 router which is on the old side and I just changed Internet providers and the new provider sent me a Huawei hg659 and I have no idea which would be the better one to use.
The only difference I can see if the the Huawei one has higher speeds but my Internet will not come close to maxing out either.
Would it just be best to setup both up and see which 1 gives the best speeds and range?

User Info: mucloud

mucloud
2 months ago#2
That Huawei hg659 is better then either of those routers. Just use that one and get a wireless pcie card a Asus will do it has a extended antenna.
Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper White W10 64bit GA990FXAUD3 FX 8320 Vishera 8-Core Core 4.0 GHz 1000watt Rosewell PSU 32GB RAM XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB

Abyss89
2 months ago#3
mucloud posted...
That Huawei hg659 is better then either of those routers. Just use that one and get a wireless pcie card a Asus will do it has a extended antenna.

Thanks for the quick response, I will use the Huawei one.
I am curious as why it is better however?
Also I use powerline adaptors to run the Internet wired to my PC. I use the WiFi for my phone and laptop.

User Info: CiRvAaZnY

CiRvAaZnY
2 months ago#4
The newest version of that Huawei model supports AC Wi-Fi which allows more throughput than the N Wi-Fi standard your old router supports. It also has more RAM which can help to allow more responsiveness to services running on the gateway.

From a purely wired perspective the speed should be the same up to around 400-500Mbit/s for internet routing. The LAN speeds are the same on both which have 1Gbit/s switch chips.

If none of your household items support AC Wi-Fi and your internet is not more than several hundreds of megabits in speed you won't really notice a difference between the two except a possible difference in Wi-Fi coverage due to the antenna layouts and chipsets of the routers.

Abyss89
2 months ago#5
CiRvAaZnY posted...
The newest version of that Huawei model supports AC Wi-Fi which allows more throughput than the N Wi-Fi standard your old router supports. It also has more RAM which can help to allow more responsiveness to services running on the gateway.

From a purely wired perspective the speed should be the same up to around 400-500Mbit/s for internet routing. The LAN speeds are the same on both which have 1Gbit/s switch chips.

If none of your household items support AC Wi-Fi and your internet is not more than several hundreds of megabits in speed you won't really notice a difference between the two except a possible difference in Wi-Fi coverage due to the antenna layouts and chipsets of the routers.

Thank you for all the details. I will just use the Huawei as it is new and I have had the Netgear for almost 5 years now and even thought I still works great it will kick it in eventually.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Looking for recommendation between 2 routers

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived