This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Playing games on a 5400 RPM HDD vs 7200 HDD.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Playing games on a 5400 RPM HDD vs 7200 HDD.

User Info: theswatleader

theswatleader
1 month ago#11
Ssds are essential in todays world for os atleast. Just a psa. But most people i know never use over 2tb. So personally go with 7200 rpm in whatever size you do want/ would use. Because writing or downloading to a 5400 rpm is such a pain sometimes.

User Info: NuclearHendrix

NuclearHendrix
1 month ago#12
I only have a 5400rpm 2tb WD Blue hdd, and it's fine. I'm glad I went with it over a 1tb hdd, cause I would have been out of space already. I like having all or at least most of my games installed.
To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize - Voltaire

User Info: DreDayy

DreDayy
1 month ago#13
Critcal50 posted...
EvilGiygas posted...
Critcal50 posted...
EvilGiygas posted...
Why not go 7200 if it's just a few bucks more? I can notice a difference in performance, personally.

Because for the same price I can just get double the space. I wouldnt mind buying the 2 TB 7200 RPM HDD, but if I could have double the space for not much of a performance difference..well..

I cringe at that considering what you said about the SSD. Lol

An SSD to me is a pointless luxury. The only good I hear about them is that things load faster. Not worth the money to me.

I'd much rather have more space.

you should actually get one before you make such a dumb statement.
|ryzen5 1600|b350 Mortar|8gb RAM|GTX 1080|960evo 500gb m.2|m500 960gb|350D|G2 550|
|2016 15' MBP|i7|455pro|16gb RAM|512gb SSD|Ultrafine 5k|
(message deleted)

User Info: godplaysSNES

godplaysSNES
1 month ago#15
SSD is the part you can happily do without until you've used one

I assume you're currently using a 7200 RPM HDD for the OS, and then 5400 RPM HDD will feel slow. If it's just for storage however, 5400 RPM will be just fine.
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!

User Info: Jonbazookaboz

Jonbazookaboz
1 month ago#16
Ssd for me is a game changer. Not only are my games almost instant. When i turn my pc on my login screen is just right there instantly
"If PAC-MAN had affected us kids, we'd all be running around in dark rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music!"

User Info: johnny_pay

johnny_pay
1 month ago#17
The difference between 5400 and 7200 is noticeable when loading games. Do you want to wait 5 minutes on a loading screen or 2 minutes. That same game on an SSD will take like 20 seconds.

User Info: lightningbugx

lightningbugx
1 month ago#18
Critcal50 posted...

I'd much rather have more space.

Why not both? Does the case only have one bay for a hard drive?
Ryzen 1800X, 16GB 3600 MHz CAS15 DDR4, 2x Radeon Vega 56, GA-AX370-Gaming K7
x86 is holding back PCs.

User Info: stav8

stav8
1 month ago#19
Real world difference is longer loading times and that's it
NZXT Stormforce 240:16GB DDR4 RAM:Core i5 6600k: GTX 1060 6 GB: 2TB SSHD:2TB HDD:128 GB SSD:AS ROCK Z170 EXTREME 4; CORSAIR 750W: THERMALTAKE 3.0 LIQUID COOLING

User Info: Kano92

Kano92
1 month ago#20
kp
PC-WiiU-PS4
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Playing games on a 5400 RPM HDD vs 7200 HDD.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived