This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Playing games on a 5400 RPM HDD vs 7200 HDD.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Playing games on a 5400 RPM HDD vs 7200 HDD.

User Info: Renraku_San

Renraku_San
1 month ago#71
theswatleader posted...
Renraku_San posted...
theswatleader posted...

Whats your problem with hdds?

For archiving, backups, music/media storage - absolutely nothing.

For anything else - it's terrible; fragmentation, seek times, spindle spin up, transfer limits, vibration and noise, crashing heads, mechanical components that deteriorate, small random file accessing compared to ssd, the list goes on.

For games its fine. Not an issue for the most part. Most games will be fine. Also. I would spend a small fortune trying to buy ssds with enough space for all my games. Literally would cost more than everything else in my computer.

For games where you spend a lot of time reloading it's nice. The less time I spend sitting at loading screens, the better.

SSD really helps games like Shogun 2, BF4, GTA V, Deus Ex, Andromeda.
I worship Jesus Christ and am 100% proud to be Christian!
I read the Bible every day, you should too!

User Info: Critcal50

Critcal50
1 month ago#72
Renraku_San posted...
theswatleader posted...
Renraku_San posted...
theswatleader posted...

For anything else - it's terrible; fragmentation, seek times, spindle spin up, transfer limits, vibration and noise, crashing heads, mechanical components that deteriorate, small random file accessing compared to ssd, the list goes on.

For games its fine. Not an issue for the most part. Most games will be fine. Also. I would spend a small fortune trying to buy ssds with enough space for all my games. Literally would cost more than everything else in my computer.

For games where you spend a lot of time reloading it's nice. The less time I spend sitting at loading screens, the better.

You'll probably never see our side of the arguement.
It doesnt matter to me if I have to wait a few minutes.
If you want to spend a few hundred dollars so you dont have to wait a minute for the game to load, thats you.
As long as my PC can run the game, could care less.

I feel like some of you are angry because I dont see the point in SSDs. Its a subjective opinion. And Ive never cared to stay up to date with the latest technology.

Also, those games that take a while to load would take up on average at least 30 GB each. You'd be able to store a whole 8 games, maybe even less, at the rate games are growing in data size.

I ran out of space on a 1 TB, and before this, I ran out of space easily on a 2 TB. An SSD wouldnt last me at all.
EVGA GTX 970 SC | i5-6600k | Corsair 8 x 2 DDR4 | ASUS Z170A | NZXT Phantom 410

User Info: oblique365

oblique365
1 month ago#73
Critcal50 posted...
Renraku_San posted...
theswatleader posted...
Renraku_San posted...
theswatleader posted...

If you want to spend a few hundred dollars so you dont have to wait a minute for the game to load, thats you.

I feel like some of you are angry because I dont see the point in SSDs. Its a subjective opinion. And Ive never cared to stay up to date with the latest technology.

Also, those games that take a while to load would take up on average at least 30 GB each. You'd be able to store a whole 8 games, maybe even less, at the rate games are growing in data size.

I ran out of space on a 1 TB, and before this, I ran out of space easily on a 2 TB. An SSD wouldnt last me at all.

The anger goes both ways. In a previous message on this thread you insinuated that people who use an ssd are impatient children.
i5 4590, Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A mobo, 8gb ram, samsung 850 evo 250gb ssd, Wd blue 1tb Hdd, Evga 500w psu, Corsair carbide spec01 case, Msi gtx 1060 6gb

User Info: arleas

arleas
1 month ago#74
Newsflash:
Everyone seeks to validate their own opinions in whatever way they can...even if that means they have to make s*** up. (Not saying necessarily that anyone here is making s*** up, but you probably do when someone asks you why you like something and you don't have a good answer ready).

So yeah... If you don't want to use an SSD, fine... who cares? I'm not the one being punished.

If you don't want to use a hard drive? fine... who cares? I'm not the one being punished.

Is it really punishment? If it backs up my opinion sure... if it contrasts with my opinion then no! And you're a sissy for suggesting it.

tl;dr everybody just f*** off.
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
FC: 3325-5440-8407 Dream Code:5E00-0013-7C61

User Info: iemerg_

iemerg_
1 month ago#75
Anyone opting for a HDD over SSD let alone a 5400RPM for gaming needs to re-evaluate the difference is night and day. 5400RPM is for laptops or office use, not gaming or workstations. This isn't theory or opinion, numbers speak for themselves... SSD's have about 4x the speed of a HDD and last longer, 5400RPM's are noticably slower.
7700K@5.0 - 1080 - EVGA 750 - 16GB DDR4 - Z270 ASUS
H100v2 - Evolv ATX - 500GB SAMSUNG SSD - 1TB WD BLACK

User Info: Renraku_San

Renraku_San
1 month ago#76
Critcal50 posted...
Renraku_San posted...
theswatleader posted...
Renraku_San posted...
theswatleader posted...

But my argument is more valid because I've experienced both HDD loading times compared to SSD loading times when I made the switch. It's such a big impact that I bought more SSD in lieu of saving for a 1080ti, which pushed back my video card upgrade.

Without actually using SSD day-to-day for gaming, you just won't have an idea how much better it is. I had to stop playing FFXV on the PS4 just because of the loading times, I knew they would be so much better on PC so I quit playing and will wait for PC release.
I worship Jesus Christ and am 100% proud to be Christian!
I read the Bible every day, you should too!

User Info: theswatleader

theswatleader
1 month ago#77
I have 10 tb of hdd storage. With about 6tb of it actually taken up. I dont want to spend that kind of money on ssds for that storage.

User Info: jjyiz28

jjyiz28
1 month ago#78
7200 by far. loading times will be much better than the 5400. 5400 only if its strickly used as backing up data/storage only.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Playing games on a 5400 RPM HDD vs 7200 HDD.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived