This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Something funny happens if you accept TOS a certain way in Shadow of War...

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Something funny happens if you accept TOS a certain way in Shadow of War...

User Info: BearShrooms

BearShrooms
2 months ago#31
Ultimate_Noob posted...
BrokenMachine85 posted...
Piracy doesn't equal a lost sale. Most pirates were never going to buy the game in the first place.

I'm pretty sure when they look at the number of people pirating it they're thinking "Wow we need much more intrusive DRM to hassle paying customers with" and not "Wow that's a lot of people who refuse to buy our game on principal." Sending the messages that matter means that sometimes you don't get to have your cake and eat it.

But if pirates just want to use moral high-grounds as an excuse not to pay for something, I think honesty is indeed the best policy.

Are you suggesting that pirates are lying to everyone else or that companies are lying to themselves about the data.

Companies certainly scream the first point while all of the data done in studies shows the second point.

User Info: XDummyX

XDummyX
2 months ago#32
I didnt like the first game anyway but this is good to know.

User Info: Dragon Nexus

Dragon Nexus
2 months ago#33
KoRnKoB posted...
The controversy surrounding G2A is understandable I think, but I feel that would surely extend mostly to newer releases. Why would anyone be selling stolen keys for a game hardly anyone even searches for on Google anymore? Most of the legit sellers simply buy multiple keys during a sale and then resell for a small profit or the middle ground between the sale price and retail price on Steam.

As long as someone buys the thing off you you paid $0 for, you're in profit. So you grab whatever keys you can get, popular or not, because who cares? Didn't cost you anything to get them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cac0ACHux-Q
"Everything popular is wrong." - Oscar Wilde

User Info: Ultimate_Noob

Ultimate_Noob
2 months ago#34
BearShrooms posted...
Ultimate_Noob posted...
BrokenMachine85 posted...
Piracy doesn't equal a lost sale. Most pirates were never going to buy the game in the first place.

I'm pretty sure when they look at the number of people pirating it they're thinking "Wow we need much more intrusive DRM to hassle paying customers with" and not "Wow that's a lot of people who refuse to buy our game on principal." Sending the messages that matter means that sometimes you don't get to have your cake and eat it.

But if pirates just want to use moral high-grounds as an excuse not to pay for something, I think honesty is indeed the best policy.

Are you suggesting that pirates are lying to everyone else or that companies are lying to themselves about the data.

Companies certainly scream the first point while all of the data done in studies shows the second point.

Not really sure what you mean. My point was that companies don't see pirated games as a form of "protest" but instead just a reason to explain to themselves why they need DRM. And because of that, pirating a game really isn't "stickin' it to da man." So pirates who justify their acts because a company is acting greedy/scummy/anti-consumer are presumably just looking for a way to get a game without paying for it and keep their moral integrity intact.

When I said honesty is the best policy in that case, I meant that the least they can do is own up to why they're pirating, rather than shielding their self-esteem behind a flawed ideal.
A pc's brain is the cpu, its heart is the motherboard, its stomach is the hard drive, and its anus is the user.

User Info: Dragon Nexus

Dragon Nexus
2 months ago#35
Ultimate_Noob posted...
So pirates who justify their acts because a company is acting greedy/scummy/anti-consumer are presumably just looking for a way to get a game without paying for it and keep their moral integrity intact.

I hear gameshow "You win" bels ringing in my head with this
"Everything popular is wrong." - Oscar Wilde

User Info: OptimusRekt

OptimusRekt
2 months ago#36
So pirates who justify their acts because a company is acting greedy/scummy/anti-consumer are presumably just looking for a way to get a game without paying for it and keep their moral integrity intact.

Morals really have nothing to do with goods and money. We can give moral characteristics to it, but morals are supposed to be how we treat each other than how we handle a human-made monetary system. It is morally right to protect trees/nature since we didn't make them and they are helpful to our environment, but morals fall into gray areas with money. Say there were only 2 humans in existence and one had 50,000 dollars and the other had 500. If the person with less money took $50 from the other, it is inherently a small theft that overall doesn't disrupt the system a high amount, but if we want to be real high morals about it then we should kill him for stealing $50 like in Draconian times just so the person with $50,000 can have his $50 back.

So with money it's less of a moral thing and more of a "what's too much" problem. Rich people and companies have it put in place that if we even steal a morsel of bread it's too much for them in their mansions to handle. Which is why 1500s pirating started and why pirating still exists.

But yeah, whatever, it's not like the game is even worth pirating.
"Too fast for freedom, sometimes it all falls down, these chains never leave me, I keep dragging them around..." - Delilah by Florence Welch

User Info: pothocket

pothocket
2 months ago#37
OptimusRekt posted...
it's not like the game is even worth pirating.

Nah, it's pretty amazing game.
http://www.koalastothemax.com/?aHR0cDovL2kuaW1ndXIuY29tL3pnMGpYWDcuanBn

User Info: sfcalimari

sfcalimari
1 month ago#38
I don't get the point of the base raids if they don't affect the defending player at all. You have to spend in-game money (not real money) to upgrade your soldiers and keeps, but you get zero benefit from succesfully defending your fort, and I'm not sure you ever get told anyone's invaded it. You're basically spending money on providing a service to other players and that's it. Would have been better to give you small rewards for each successful defense.
i wanna walk out into the night
without it being running away
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Something funny happens if you accept TOS a certain way in Shadow of War...

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived