This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

With all the loot boxes and such going on, I think we're getting closer to being

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. With all the loot boxes and such going on, I think we're getting closer to being

User Info: BrokenMachine85

BrokenMachine85
1 month ago#31
I think we're heading for some sort of videogame crash due to all this stuff. I'm not sure how, or when, but I believe we're getting there regardless.
Ryzen 1600X @ 4GHz | MSI B350 'Tomahawk' | Corsair H90 | 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 | Palit GTX 1080 OC @ 2GHz | 28" Acer Predator 4K G-SYNC 1ms

User Info: GeminiX7

GeminiX7
1 month ago#32
BrokenMachine85 posted...
I think we're heading for some sort of videogame crash due to all this stuff. I'm not sure how, or when, but I believe we're getting there regardless.

There's not really any reason to assume that. The circumstances of the last crash were much different than they are now. At most, we'll see some of the more major companies fall, and that's only if they drive themselves into the ground due to thier own lack of foresight. There are just too many avenues for profit that don't require nickel and diming/shady practices for the industry as a whole to completely go belly up like it did in the 80s.
MSI Z97| Intel i5-4690 @ 3.5 Ghz | 8GB Cosair Vengence @ 1600 |Radeon R9 390 8GB
Who gave you permission to talk to me, mongrel?

User Info: BrokenMachine85

BrokenMachine85
1 month ago#33
GeminiX7 posted...

There's not really any reason to assume that. The circumstances of the last crash were much different than they are now. At most, we'll see some of the more major companies fall, and that's only if they drive themselves into the ground due to thier own lack of foresight. There are just too many avenues for profit that don't require nickel and diming/shady practices for the industry as a whole to completely go belly up like it did in the 80s.

Too much business depends on overpriced DLC, stupidly high game sales expectations, pre-orders and loot boxes. It's not sustainable.
Ryzen 1600X @ 4GHz | MSI B350 'Tomahawk' | Corsair H90 | 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 | Palit GTX 1080 OC @ 2GHz | 28" Acer Predator 4K G-SYNC 1ms

GeminiX7
1 month ago#34
GeminiX7 posted...

Too much business depends on overpriced DLC, stupidly high game sales expectations, pre-orders and loot boxes. It's not sustainable.

And that's not the standard despite it's prevalence currently. Online Passes seemed to be the thing that might kill the industry as well(or at least put a big wedge it and kill pre-owned sales) and consumers reacted negatively enough that it killed the practice. Unlike the arcade/early home consoles crash, there are enough alternative products that don't use this practice that it'll force the practitioners to change or be outplayed by less shady competition, rather than being some bubble the industry currently is built upon, primed like a fart in the tub.

It's not 100% impossible that this would kill the market for gaming, but like I said, the things needed for a full-on crash aren't really relevant to this scenario. If it was impossible to find games that didn't have shady cash shop practices or no cash shops at all, it might be an issue. If games could ONLY be made/sustained with shady cash shop practices it'd also be a harbinger of doom for the industry. The only way I see this being any sort of real issue is if just about every big game maker and most indie devs were to cling to anti-consumer practices and pretty much revolve the entire industry around it.

This will likely be enough to detriment/kill companies off(if it gets to that point), but the entire industry as a whole?
MSI Z97| Intel i5-4690 @ 3.5 Ghz | 8GB Cosair Vengence @ 1600 |Radeon R9 390 8GB

User Info: sonicteam2k1

sonicteam2k1
1 month ago#35

I'd honestly welcome a crash. I'd feel bad for the devs because I know these guys don't want that s*** in their games but I wouldn't give two or three f***s about the publisher.
See The Game Collection
http://people.ign.com/nights_team2k7/games

GeminiX7
1 month ago#36
sonicteam2k1 posted...

I'd honestly welcome a crash. I'd feel bad for the devs because I know these guys don't want that s*** in their games but I wouldn't give two or three f***s about the publisher.

That's like saying you hope a person's home burns down, not because you hate the family who lives there, but because you hate their landlord. Your petty dream is still screwing over people even you agree aren't necessarily to blame. And for what reason? Because some(and you are an outright liar or only buy games you specifically hear news stories about if you argue it's any sort of majority of games with this issue) has a shady but optional aspect you don't agree with?

User Info: rpgian

rpgian
1 month ago#37
It would be a terrible mistake. Games aren't just competing with other games for peoples money and affections. They red tape the basics, it will bite them in the wallet.

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
1 month ago#38
sonicteam2k1 posted...
charged for things like bullets, air in your football, and gas in your cars

The CEO at EA at the time was thinking about this a while ago

http://www.maxconsole.com/threads/eas-john-riccitiello-wanted-players-to-pay-1-for-reloading-a-clip-on-battlefield.17277/

only a matter of time before someone actually does it.

Thank goodness that didn't happen.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

User Info: Dyshonest

Dyshonest
1 month ago#39
So many pro-corporate people here. I have to ask you, what benefit do you have in being pro-corporate? They'll never defend you. They'll never do anything for you. They actively work against you with every action they do.

Why defend them? Why cheerlead for them?

GeminiX7
1 month ago#40
Dyshonest posted...
So many pro-corporate people here. I have to ask you, what benefit do you have in being pro-corporate? They'll never defend you. They'll never do anything for you. They actively work against you with every action they do.

Why defend them? Why cheerlead for them?

Theres a difference between being "pro-coporate" and being a realist who doesn't think anything short of giving away high end games away for free as "corporate greed" to be vilified and hated. All cash shops aren't equal. There isn't some limit to the amount of profit a company is allowed to seek, assuming they don't use shady methods to get it. I personally don't have a problem with cash shops, as long as they aren't selling anything that affects actual gameplay and/or isn't also available solely through playing the game(and isn't built to be so tedious to gain that you are more or less forced to buy).

If the ONLY argument a game's cash shop is that "I don't have the self control to not bankrupt myself because I want to play digital dressup and can't actually be expected to play the game to earn it" as is the case for a game like Overwatch or Warframe, that's a problem with you and your upbringing, not the game. But you can't make sweeping judgements either way, you need to take it on a case by case basis.

You need to remove emotion from your arguments. Corporations don't care about you more than what you purchase from them, but likewise they aren't mustache twirling villains who exist to burn cash and eat babies and ruin your gaming experience. Some are money hungry hucksters, to be sure, but treating all like that is as idiotic as blindly defending them all.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. With all the loot boxes and such going on, I think we're getting closer to being

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived