This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

With all the loot boxes and such going on, I think we're getting closer to being

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. With all the loot boxes and such going on, I think we're getting closer to being

User Info: sonicteam2k1

sonicteam2k1
1 month ago#41
here is the thing about video games. They're entertainment. They will always be that and nothing more. People don't need them. The publishers need the the customer. Once the customer understands that, the much better it will be for the customer. But people just don't care.

I tried a loot box for the first time with Advanced Warfare years ago, with money given from Microsoft mind you, and it's the last time I've bought one. It wasn't even my money and I was so disgusted with the result. I was like I'll never pay money for this. Feel free to charge me a higher premium up front for a product, but I will never buy another RNG box ever again.
See The Game Collection
http://people.ign.com/nights_team2k7/games

User Info: GeminiX7

GeminiX7
1 month ago#42
sonicteam2k1 posted...
here is the thing about video games. They're entertainment. They will always be that and nothing more. People don't need them. The publishers need the the customer. Once the customer understands that, the much better it will be for the customer. But people just don't care.

I tried a loot box for the first time with Advanced Warfare years ago, with money given from Microsoft mind you, and it's the last time I've bought one. It wasn't even my money and I was so disgusted with the result. I was like I'll never pay money for this. Feel free to charge me a higher premium up front for a product, but I will never buy another RNG box ever again.

I agree, but like I said, if the box is more or less a shortcut to aesthetics rather than a required buy to play at your best, I'm more or less fine with it, even if I personally never spend a penny on it. I think Platinum from Warframe is the only cash shop item I've ever purchased, and that's only because they commonly give 25-75% coupons as daily login rewards, Warframe is otherwise F2P, and the currency can be traded between players. Spending 5 bucks here and there for 20 bucks of currency that I can easily wheel and deal to a few hundred bucks of currency doesn't feel scummy.

But that's a different scenario to Loot Boxes.
MSI Z97| Intel i5-4690 @ 3.5 Ghz | 8GB Cosair Vengence @ 1600 |Radeon R9 390 8GB
Who gave you permission to talk to me, mongrel?

User Info: g_lethal

g_lethal
1 month ago#43
why cant we just the let the price finally go up again?

when i got ff9 as a kid on ps1 it was 40 bucks, was a phenomenal game, that was the "norm" then.

when ps2 hit the games became 50-60 dollars, i didnt gripe because everything got bigger and better and here we are now with games that are pushing some incredible tech and are still 60 dollars, yet they're kinda crippled imo because of all the dlc, addons and chopped out chunks of game.

gaming is a hobby, an expensive one, and you cant deny that fact, a top tier gaming setup will be a few thousand, the newest console with all of its bells and whistles will also be worth a bit. And yet we skimp on the product we want to use all that gear for, kinda strange.

instead of thinking of new ways to pay for a game the real answer is simple, the base price needs to go up cause 60 just doesnt do it anymore, what should it be? I dunno, since most season passes are 20, would 80 be fine? who knows.

If a top tier dev, lets say rockstar or naughty dog said the price of their newest game was 80 dollars and explained the reasoning was because that would give me a complete game on day1 with non of this wait for weeks to months BS, loot crates, randomness and whatever else is in the shadows then i'd gladly pay because right now gaming just isnt fun.
it's dangerous to go alone, TAKE THIS!!!

User Info: GeminiX7

GeminiX7
1 month ago#44
g_lethal posted...
why cant we just the let the price finally go up again?

when i got ff9 as a kid on ps1 it was 40 bucks, was a phenomenal game, that was the "norm" then.

when ps2 hit the games became 50-60 dollars, i didnt gripe because everything got bigger and better and here we are now with games that are pushing some incredible tech and are still 60 dollars, yet they're kinda crippled imo because of all the dlc, addons and chopped out chunks of game.

gaming is a hobby, an expensive one, and you cant deny that fact, a top tier gaming setup will be a few thousand, the newest console with all of its bells and whistles will also be worth a bit. And yet we skimp on the product we want to use all that gear for, kinda strange.

instead of thinking of new ways to pay for a game the real answer is simple, the base price needs to go up cause 60 just doesnt do it anymore, what should it be? I dunno, since most season passes are 20, would 80 be fine? who knows.

If a top tier dev, lets say rockstar or naughty dog said the price of their newest game was 80 dollars and explained the reasoning was because that would give me a complete game on day1 with non of this wait for weeks to months BS, loot crates, randomness and whatever else is in the shadows then i'd gladly pay because right now gaming just isnt fun.

If you think the tears are bad now, just think of how bad they'd be if the standard for games were 80 bucks, even if games were as "complete" as they were prior to DLC being standard. Gaming is a hobby that brings in children and man-children alike who don't understand economics or business outside of saving thier milk-money to buy thier new electronic plaything. They'd just consider it another "example of evil corporate greed" since they'd claim that they "rememeber when we got even better games for much cheaper".

I would also prefer more expensive base games without DLC being a thing outside of major expansions, but honestly the supplemental stuff ain't that bad as long as it stays completely optional. That way, if you want more, you spend more. If you want a cheaper game, it's still an option. If the dev/publishers try to pull shady s***, I just avoid the game, the same thing I've done every gen since the NES era.
MSI Z97| Intel i5-4690 @ 3.5 Ghz | 8GB Cosair Vengence @ 1600 |Radeon R9 390 8GB
Who gave you permission to talk to me, mongrel?

User Info: SinisterSlay

SinisterSlay
1 month ago#45
^^^ forgets that America is the only place that never saw price increases
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence

User Info: N3xtG3nGam3r

N3xtG3nGam3r
1 month ago#46
The annoying part about this s*** is that there is a somewhat healthy medium these companies could find if they took the time to actually analyze what people are doing in these games, and the feedback given by all of the community, and not just the majority.

Instead, they ignore what the customers want, and then talk about stupid s*** like charging someone a dollar, mid gun-fight, to reload their gun. Like...just...wtf?

There are people that are ok with spending some money to enjoy the same experience that someone with much more time could enjoy, and that is ok.

The problem comes when they literally try to figure out any way to f*** over the entire base of players, regardless of what the players want (any of them, not just majority/minority). The s*** i just read yesterday about this patented matchmaking system that LITERALLY defeats the entire purpose of matchmaking!!

Matchmaking was made to match you up with people of similar skill level, to ensure that people playing the game get an enjoyable experience, as opposed to being murdered and booty raped by a clan of bloodthirsty savages all max level with all the gear, when you are playing your first match. Their goal is literally, to unmatch players, to encourage frustration, and ensure that people will get upset enough to buy advancement packs for guns/better gear.

Oh, and it dont end there either. They want to make people that buy the s***, get better results in matchmaking by giving them some sort of handicap, to make their recently purchased gear look good, and encourage more buying.

Talk about a false sense of accomplishment. Like, wtf. This whole industry is so f***ed anymore. The saddest part too, is that the gaming industry is just more exposed and transparent when it comes to s*** like this. Once these corporations got big enough to have a board of directors that have absolutely no video game backround, etc, the people put into power at the tippy top, have been doing this sort of thing in other industries for years and years, we just dont see it, because its all behind closed doors in other industries.
ASUS B-150 Gaming MoBo| Intel CORE i5 6500k @ 3.5GHz | 32GB DDR4 | 2TB HDD | 600w PSU | nVidia GTX 1080Ti 11GB GDDR5-X

User Info: Heisenberg312

Heisenberg312
1 month ago#47
"Why not increase the price of games?"
Answer: Sales will go down. Most profit is gathered from the first few months of release. If the price goes up, then more people will wait for the price to go down before buying the game. Duh.
"Why lootboxes?:
Answer: Because they sale.
If they didn't sell well, then there wouldn't be in games. Why offer loot boxes if no one buys them? Duh.
"Who buys loot boxes? I don't buy them and because I think I'm the only person in the world that matters, they must be doing badly."
Answer: Many people buy them. And they buy a ton of them. They are called "Whales" by game developers. Duh.
"I pirate games. Am I stupid?"
Answer: Yes. Yes you are.
Now, say my name.

User Info: sonicteam2k1

sonicteam2k1
1 month ago#48
N3xtG3nGam3r posted...
Talk about a false sense of accomplishment. Like, wtf. This whole industry is so f***ed anymore. The saddest part too, is that the gaming industry is just more exposed and transparent when it comes to s*** like this. Once these corporations got big enough to have a board of directors that have absolutely no video game backround, etc, the people put into power at the tippy top, have been doing this sort of thing in other industries for years and years, we just dont see it, because its all behind closed doors in other industries.

It's really because gamers tend to have no self control and or are just stupid. One poster gave a good example that there are 4 types of customers. dumb rich, dumb poor, smart rich and smart poor. Most gamers seem to fall into the first two former
See The Game Collection
http://people.ign.com/nights_team2k7/games

User Info: CrestedTax

CrestedTax
1 month ago#49
That man is a genius.

In any case, games are cheaper than ever before.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. With all the loot boxes and such going on, I think we're getting closer to being

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived