This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Help me diagnose my PC. Think it might be toast.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Help me diagnose my PC. Think it might be toast.

User Info: Knighted Dragon

Knighted Dragon
2 months ago#21
What does it do when you boot? Black screen with any text flashing in the corner for a split second? POST?

Your HDD or SSD could have died if the computer is trying to do *something* at all. If it's getting power but not doing anything, it's probably RAM or Motherboard, possibly CPU
Proverbs 3:5 & Galatians 2:20 & John 14:6
http://i.imgur.com/heRqmfH.jpg

User Info: oblique365

oblique365
2 months ago#22
ClunkerSlim posted...
Apparently Windows 10 is currently self destructing thanks to the last update. My mom's laptop refuses to boot so she took it to the Geek Squad and it looks like the last update has locked a lot of people's computers. There's a few articles out about it. I've got the update right now on my PC and I'm afraid to shut it down because it's going to start the update.

Geek squad lmfao.. Dont you have a true computer repair shop near you? They did a news story on geek squad drumming up charges for virtually doing nothing. They un plugged the hard drive, got charged 75 bucks to have them fix their hard drive by plugging the cable back in.. Then they unplugged it and took it to an honest shop and they didnt even charge for that.
i5 4590, Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A mobo, 8gb ram, samsung 850 evo 250gb ssd, Wd blue 1tb Hdd, Evga 500w psu, Corsair carbide spec01 case, Msi gtx 1060 6gb

User Info: Ultrakill876x

Ultrakill876x
2 months ago#23
My first desktop computer ran windows vista, and it was alright (could've used more ram), but after the power went out when I think it was turned off (still connected to power); nothign seemed wrong, except it wouldn't turn on at all; im panicking thinking my HDD got f***ed by the surge

in the end, I think its the moba that got fried somehow, so we call dell support, they send over someone to replace the motherboard, and it booted up just fine

the TL;DR point of this post here, consider switching power strips (making sure its indicator lights show its properly grounded and surge protected), maybe using a voltage test screwdriver (that one that repairmen use to determine if a power plug is getting voltage or not) to see if the plug you're using has voltage troubles, I don't know, im sleepy T_T
If everyone would focus on the bigger picture, they would learn soylent green is people and deadpool is best evar
PSN:ShadowXKaiser | Xbox GT: King Kickass99

User Info: HarvestMonkey8

HarvestMonkey8
2 months ago#24
Had the same thing happen to me very recently. Changed the 4 pin cpu power connector to the other 4 pin connector (4+4) and seems to be working ok for the moment. This was after a week of random shutdowns and black screens. Refused to POST and wouldnt shut off by long pressing power button on case.
http://valid.x86.fr/7vm6zq

User Info: Somato

Somato
2 months ago#25
premature tyrant posted...
premature tyrant posted...
sig

sig
ThePandaForest / Premature Tyrant is don_sf / DarKnight_sf

User Info: ClunkerSlim

ClunkerSlim
2 months ago#26
oblique365 posted...
ClunkerSlim posted...
Apparently Windows 10 is currently self destructing thanks to the last update. My mom's laptop refuses to boot so she took it to the Geek Squad and it looks like the last update has locked a lot of people's computers. There's a few articles out about it. I've got the update right now on my PC and I'm afraid to shut it down because it's going to start the update.

Geek squad lmfao.. Dont you have a true computer repair shop near you? They did a news story on geek squad drumming up charges for virtually doing nothing. They un plugged the hard drive, got charged 75 bucks to have them fix their hard drive by plugging the cable back in.. Then they unplugged it and took it to an honest shop and they didnt even charge for that.

Not my computer dude. It's a laptop this church bought for my mom to do their accounting for them. They bought it there and have all those extended warranties. So might as well use them I guess.
https://twitter.com/ClunkerSlim
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Help me diagnose my PC. Think it might be toast.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived