This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Steam closes itself

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Steam closes itself

User Info: FreshOverlord

FreshOverlord
2 months ago#1
What the title says.

I decided to do a Steam re-installation (you know, deleting everything but the Steam.exe file) because it wasn't working and now Steam closes whenever it reaches the Log in screen.

Any ideas?
F.R.E.S.H

User Info: daemon_dan

daemon_dan
2 months ago#2
Actually delete the .exe as well and download a totally fresh installer off the website.
"Don't you know our lives are on trial now? And if we lose, we're going straight to Hell! I could care less."
~DevilDriver: I Could Care Less

FreshOverlord
2 months ago#3
Alright, will do...but how do I back up my games? I have a slow-ass internet and downloading one 4gb game is like 3 days (or more), so redownloading them again would be a hassle.
F.R.E.S.H

User Info: Kokuei05

Kokuei05
2 months ago#4
If you already deleted everything, your games are already gone.
i7-6700K | Team Vulcan 16GB 3000Mhz | MSI z170a SLI PLUS | EVGA 650W G2 | Zotac 8GB GTX 1080 Mini | EA232WMI
e7470 | i5-6300U | 8GB DDR4 || Surface Pro 2 i5.

User Info: arleas

arleas
2 months ago#5
FreshOverlord posted...
how do I back up my games?

move your steamapps folders to some other location, then after you reinstall, move them back. Steam will still need to go through the motions like it's downloading and installing the games but in reality they'll be checked on disk to make sure it's there and then it'll be reinstalled.
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
FC: 3325-5440-8407 Dream Code:5E00-0013-7C61

FreshOverlord
2 months ago#6
Kokuei05 posted...
If you already deleted everything, your games are already gone.

Forgot to say I didn't delete it. So they're safe, for now.

arleas posted...
FreshOverlord posted...
how do I back up my games?

move your steamapps folders to some other location, then after you reinstall, move them back. Steam will still need to go through the motions like it's downloading and installing the games but in reality they'll be checked on disk to make sure it's there and then it'll be reinstalled.

A'aight, did just that!.

Will report back when Steam finishes updating
F.R.E.S.H

FreshOverlord
2 months ago#7
Back.

Steam still closes itself :(

What a pain
F.R.E.S.H

FreshOverlord
2 months ago#8
Weird, now it works.

How would I go about restoring my games? All of them appear as uninstalled on my library
F.R.E.S.H
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Steam closes itself

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived