This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Cheat at Fortnite, get sued.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Cheat at Fortnite, get sued.

User Info: -5xad0w-

-5xad0w-
2 months ago#1
http://www.pcgamer.com/epic-sues-two-fortnite-cheaters/

Obviously, these are two extreme cases as they have simply banned 'thousands' of other cheaters.
"This is a cool way to die!" -Philip J. Fry
KCO222OB|1440 Watts|6 Slice|Timer|Crumb Tray|Is a Toaster Oven

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
2 months ago#2
Before even reading it, sueing usually happens from people selling cheats to others. If just cheating for yourself, worst you get is a perma ban. After reading it I was right about the suing for selling of cheats.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

User Info: Hi C

Hi C
2 months ago#3
captsplatter_1 posted...
Before even reading it, sueing usually happens from people selling cheats to others. If just cheating for yourself, worst you get is a perma ban. After reading it I was right about the suing for selling of cheats.

After Blizzard sued that bot maker and most of the money had been made from cheaters they suddenly stopped banning.

These companies only care about cheaters and "a fair and level playing field" when it's profitable to do so.
I5-4590 | ASUS H97i-PLUS & VS239hp | 8GB Ballistix Sport | 1TB+2TB WD Blue | Cooler Master N200 | ASUS GTX 960 Strix 2GB

User Info: anonymous46773

anonymous46773
2 months ago#4
Good. Hope they win. Cheaters suck.
The base of a lighthouse is ever dark.

User Info: MaDHat

MaDHat
2 months ago#5
100% for this and I hope they win and set a precedent.

User Info: loader963

loader963
2 months ago#6
MaDHat posted...

Yep.
I can be patient, but I'm not waiting!

User Info: PhilOnDez

PhilOnDez
2 months ago#7
MaDHat posted...

The precedent has already been set and it's not in their favor, at least not if the only thing they're pushing for is what's mentioned in the article where, to paraphrase, "injecting code into our game is creating unauthorized derivative works and therefore infringement of our IP." Nintendo tried this argument in the 90s to shut down Galoob's Game Genie and lost hard over and over.

There's potentially ways that they can get them, but it's not going to be through the means mentioned in the article.
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez

User Info: Hi C

Hi C
2 months ago#8
PhilOnDez posted...
MaDHat posted...

The precedent has already been set and it's not in their favor, at least not if the only thing they're pushing for is what's mentioned in the article where, to paraphrase, "injecting code into our game is creating unauthorized derivative works and therefore infringement of our IP." Nintendo tried this argument in the 90s to shut down Galoob's Game Genie and lost hard over and over.

Not entirely the same thing.
I5-4590 | ASUS H97i-PLUS & VS239hp | 8GB Ballistix Sport | 1TB+2TB WD Blue | Cooler Master N200 | ASUS GTX 960 Strix 2GB

User Info: PhilOnDez

PhilOnDez
2 months ago#9
It's pretty much exactly the same thing. I'm not saying that they can't sue, or even that they shouldn't. They just need to pursue it through other means because there's already a precedent that's not in their favor and honestly I wouldn't want them to win on those grounds anyway because then there'd be grounds to go after anyone who creates mods/cheats for any other game, even single player games.
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez

User Info: dennis941012

dennis941012
2 months ago#10
PhilOnDez posted...
MaDHat posted...

There's potentially ways that they can get them, but it's not going to be through the means mentioned in the article.

wrong blizzard sued and won their case
3DS FC: 5214-9942-1912
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Cheat at Fortnite, get sued.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived