This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

A really old PC tech support question from back in the DOS days.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. A really old PC tech support question from back in the DOS days.

User Info: Renraku_San

Renraku_San
1 month ago#11
I remember running memmaker a lot.
I worship Jesus Christ and am 100% proud to be Christian!
I read the Bible every day, you should too!

User Info: kobalobasileus

kobalobasileus
1 month ago#12
The Sock posted...
sometimes when trying to run a game you would get a "Out of memory" error and wouldn't be able to run the game at all

You misspelled "ALWAYS".

Anyway, the fix I was shown was to load everything into Hi-Memory, which was a blob of memory that acted like the base 640K but wasn't actually a part of it (EMS and XMS were the vast majority of the RAM in any given system, I think Hi-Memory was limited to something like 99K... it's been a long time, and that part of my mind is still fogged by rage). So mouse drivers, CD drivers, and other bulls*** needed to be prefixed with "loadhi" in order to get them out of the way for "hoggy DOS games" to use up all of the 640K base memory.

User Info: Fade2black001

Fade2black001
1 month ago#13
MarceloSampaio posted...
Fade2black001 posted...
I never saw that error in my DOS gaming days.

I find that VERY hard to believe.

Then again, it's you, so I'm not surprised you posted that.

Dude I played every game with ease on my DOS system with no errors or anything. Even very demanding games like Doom ran perfectly fine. Also what do you mean "its you"?
Put on a smile cause Jesus loves you

User Info: MarceloSampaio

MarceloSampaio
1 month ago#14
Fade2black001 posted...
Also what do you mean "its you"?

NOTHING bad that happens to most people ever happens to you. Specially if it's related to anything made by Microsoft.

I mean, you must be the luckiest person in the entire world, huh?

Fade2black001 posted...
Even very demanding games like Doom ran perfectly fine.

Doom is a different beast. It was demanding on your CPU and your RAM (kinda), but Doom didn't require much conventional memory, because ID learned how to allocate stuff at high memory, something that many game companies didn't pay attention to at the time.

The sad thing is, the CD version of Corridor 7 was WAY harder to run than Doom, even though it looked like ass compared to Doom.
VERY curious cat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlD0e5DUp28
My Steam profile: https://steamcommunity.com/id/marcsm2008

User Info: Vortaka

Vortaka
1 month ago#15
Fade2black001 posted...
MarceloSampaio posted...
Fade2black001 posted...
I never saw that error in my DOS gaming days.

I find that VERY hard to believe.

Then again, it's you, so I'm not surprised you posted that.

Dude I played every game with ease on my DOS system with no errors or anything. Even very demanding games like Doom ran perfectly fine. Also what do you mean "its you"?

Doom wasn't a demanding game, conventional memory speaking anyway!

User Info: Fade2black001

Fade2black001
1 month ago#16
MarceloSampaio posted...
Fade2black001 posted...
Also what do you mean "its you"?

NOTHING bad that happens to most people ever happens to you. Specially if it's related to anything made by Microsoft.

I mean, you must be the luckiest person in the entire world, huh?

Fade2black001 posted...
Even very demanding games like Doom ran perfectly fine.

Doom is a different beast. It was demanding on your CPU and your RAM (kinda), but Doom didn't require much conventional memory, because ID learned how to allocate stuff at high memory, something that many game companies didn't pay attention to at the time.

The sad thing is, the CD version of Corridor 7 was WAY harder to run than Doom, even though it looked like ass compared to Doom.

Luckiest?!? LOL I wish... I lost 400 bucks gambling the other day.... I am not lucky by any means....

I see... so that's how it is with Doom. I played many other games as well and never ran into that error. I play a lot of Apogee games such as Duke Nuke'em, Major Striker, and Raptor call of the Shadows.
Other games I played were...
Indiana Jones and the fate of Atlantis
Civilization
Railroad Tycoon
Star Trek 25th Anniversary
Star Trek Judgement Rites
Lemmings
Silent Scope (I think that's what its called)
Mortal Kombat
Kiloblaster

There's more but that's all I can think of.
Put on a smile cause Jesus loves you

User Info: Nazanir

Nazanir
1 month ago#17
Vortaka posted...
The worst game (one that required conventional memory up to... I think 600kb or 610kb (out of 640kb) was Dune 2, with mouse and sound card settings on...)

Let me explain using Dune 2 as the example... So, you have 640kb of conventional memory (Dos) and everything you load in your config.sys and autoexec.bat usually takes conventional memory.

So, loading the mouse drivers and the sound card drivers (and himem.sys (xms) and emm386.exe (EMS)(another memory thing)) would take too much (so Dune 2 would never be able to run!)

If you loaded everything normally, it would drop your memory to... maybe 550 or 540 or even less... And that's on a clean boot! (Yeah, it existed even then!)

There was a trick though... I don't remember exactly the lines but I remember that I loaded most of everything in "high memory"... (That was the trick or cheat). Using Devicehigh (usually worked anyway), DOS=HIGH,UMB and loading in high memory (using LH (loadhigh) before the commands in autoexec.bat was enough to get conventional memory to about 620kb (with mouse and sound card drivers loaded) and so I was able to play Dune 2!

The high memory itself (so the trick or cheat) was like an ready to use hidden 60 or 70kb of memory making your artificial system reach 700 or 710kb or conventional memory... Programs didn't see high memory so that's why I say it's artificial! But it worked! And Dune 2 worked! And I kicked the high king's butt with my melange! (aka Dune 2 sand; what was worth money in the game!)

Good old memories... Nostalgia...

God yes, with 6.22 you could use highmem to free up conventional memory. Once I figured that out, I could run most games without issues. I do remember fiddling around with config.sys to get that to work:

DEVICE=C:\MSDOS\HIMEM.SYS
DOS=HIGH,UMB
DEVICE=C:\MSDOS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS

Did the trick for me.
XboX GT/Steam/Wii-U - Nazanir
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. A really old PC tech support question from back in the DOS days.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived