This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Just ordered a Vive. Tell me all the things to get.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Just ordered a Vive. Tell me all the things to get.

User Info: SilentCaay

SilentCaay
1 month ago#41
Massaca posted...
premature tyrant posted...
i mostly use vorpx or virtual desktop to play non-vr games in vr

@premature_tyrant
How does that work out? Mentioning that makes me super interested in what it would be like to play FEAR 1, FEAR Extraction Point, and Dead Space with it.

VorpX is terrible. A waste of $40. If it came preconfigured with the best settings for all the games it supposedly works with, it might be alright (assuming it actually works well with any game when it's configured properly). As it is, though, you have to tweak it for every individual game and during that time you're sitting in ultra-nauseating badly rendered VR that instantly makes you sick. It's just not worth it. Stick to games made for VR or mods that have been carefully tuned for one specific game like the Mother VR mod for Alien Isolation.

shmirlywhirl posted...
Here's a question- turns out I have the option of two packs of free software. Both come with Tiltbrush and the viveport thing, but one has Fallout VR, the other has Everest and Richie's Plank Experience.
Now, I don't really have any interest in Fallout VR but I'm thinking if I get a code for it I might take it and trade. How is Everest VR as a thing? Is it worth considering that option?
EDIT: Just kidding. Value wise it would be silly to not take the Fallout option.

Viveport is pretty much superfluous subscription software so anything that comes bundled with it isn't really worth it. If one option has a Steam key for Fallout, definitely go with that option. I've never played my copies of Everest or Richie's Plank Experience since I don't run Viveport.
The SilentCaay Channel - Shadowverse and other video game vids.
Shadowverse - Oh, Tenko, You So Fine! (Ep. 126) - https://youtu.be/5EWCNS7NPys

User Info: Massaca

Massaca
1 month ago#42
^Well that sucks :/
arleas posted...
[...]
Seems support is questionable for the Vive (?) but FEAR 1 at least works fine. But AU$50 for a single license with no trial is a bit ehhh.

Looking at Bigscreen, it's just hard for me to see how it'll be much differnet from just playing on my TV as I naturally block out my surroundings anyway.
*sigh* Seems it's definitely something I'm not going to be able to understand without actually using one. Brother mentioned he was thinking of getting one, maybe I'll be able to give it a try if he eventually does.

And thank you both.
'Ahn~ It's so loud I can't sleep~!' Lily White said, suddenly awaking.
How great the power of yuri was that it could even neutralise poison!

User Info: shmirlywhirl

shmirlywhirl
1 month ago#43
Alright Sairento is really fun. So thanks to everyone that recommended that.
Now with 100% real fruit juice

User Info: arleas

arleas
1 month ago#44
Massaca posted...
Looking at Bigscreen, it's just hard for me to see how it'll be much differnet from just playing on my TV as I naturally block out my surroundings anyway.

It's different because you can change the background, change the size of the screen, change the orientation of the screen, you can have it hover in front of you or be up on a big theater sized screen (or both). if you have multiple monitors you can easily see both and arrange both.

AND THE BIGGEST ONE: as I said before, you can invite someone else to watch you play and you can sit there and talk to them as if you were right on the couch next to them. If it's an online game you can play as if it was a LAN with your friend sitting next to you while you play.

But yeah, you just won't get it into your head without seeing it for yourself. Actually the whole deal with how you perceive other people is something you won't believe until you experience it.

On a flat screen you're talking to a voice on a mic that comes through your headset and you're looking at a 2D representation of a 3D model of that person. You're pretty disconnected from that person.

In VR you're looking at a 3D representation of a 3D model of that person while talking to them as if their voice is coming from the appropriate direction. All movements of the hands and head are pretty realistic (it gets a bit complicated if they try to make a full 3D model using Inverse Kinematics since sometimes the model is too short or too tall and so it starts looking awkward). Basically there's so much more information on how the other person is moving/acting/talking that it's much easier to believe that they're actually there.

Most newbies to VR initially get overwhelmed by the idea that someone else is actually there if they get too close (see: that video where the guy in rec room gets a tickle on the nipple from a freak and disconnects in a hurry because he was creeped out).

Massaca posted...
Brother mentioned he was thinking of getting one, maybe I'll be able to give it a try if he eventually does.

If you can afford it and your computer can handle it, I'm sure you'll be putting your order in soon after you see how awesome it is. Most of the naysayers are idiots thinking technology hasn't advanced at all since the 90's or that this is just like 3D TV. Either that or they're too poor and trying to rationalize why they don't want one.
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
FC: 3325-5440-8407 Dream Code:5E00-0013-7C61

Massaca
1 month ago#45
Could certainly afford it and the GPU upgrade I might need (def need for newer stuff) but the unfortunate thing for me is that the only way to try it is to drive an hour and a half and even then it's a chance to try :/ And not the Vive as far as I can see.
And I don't want to just toss the grand and a smidge to try it out.
Brother's talking about getting it when the next xx80 or 80ti comes out if the 1080ti drops to about half price like the 980ti did here so it'll be a while.

arleas posted...
AND THE BIGGEST ONE: as I said before, you can invite someone else to watch you play and you can sit there and talk to them as if you were right on the couch next to them. If it's an online game you can play as if it was a LAN with your friend sitting next to you while you play.

Just to note on this, my internet prolly isn't good enough for it and I don't have anyone I talk to anyway. So the entire social aspect is worthless to me *shrug* (hope that doesn't sound dickish).

User Info: desert_santa

desert_santa
1 month ago#46
Most of the good stuff has been mentioned already, but I want to list what I enjoyed too!

Vanishing Realms - really love this, it's just so well made and I really feel like I am exploring a dungeon. I remember not having a shield yet and only a sword. Skeleton swung his weapon downward at me and I instinctively moved my sword above me. I loved that the enemy weapon bounced off my blade. VR <3

Budget Cuts demo - still no idea if this will ever get released but am well impressed. It's a stealthy sneaky game with killer robots. Love trying to throw knives and distract or kill them while attempting to get past!

Rick & morty virtual rickality - more fun for the fans, but I liked how this looked. Fun to mess around with too. Not sure if it's worth the full price, but it had more content than I expected.

Accounting- it's free, give it a go. If you like this then you'll probably enjoy Rick and Morty.

Inmind VR, irrational exuberance(might have got name wrong) - short fun experiences

Lightsaber VR - simple but if you manage to beat all difficulties you get a Jedi battle(kinda). Might be called lightsword, I forget..... There is an actual VR Starwars for free, but I thought this was better.

Raw Data - I never got to play Sairento so I got this instead. Really fun arcade wave shooter. There are a lot of games like this in VR though, but I'd rank this as one of the best. Still, you don't want too many titles like this, as it gets old fast.

Arizona Sunshine - finally, a zombie game that is not a wave shooter(not completely). Has a couple bugs here and there but overall this is a good step forward for VR gaming. Actual campaign, being able to shoot through windows, planks, car doors. Shame no melee. Hoping their next game is good(releases in two days).

Invasion - just a short video, but I love VR vids done right.

Can't remember what else is out there but I have enjoyed table tennis games, adventure and bunch of demos.

A lot of demos I have yet to try. Bought games I have yet to try.
A lot of games I still want to buy.

Here's hoping Skyworld turns out to be good.
It's not about the hardware in your hands, it's the software in your hearts.

arleas
1 month ago#47
Massaca posted...
Just to note on this, my internet prolly isn't good enough for it

I'm not sure how fast your internet has to be to do reasonably well in Bigscreen. I think unless your internet is 3rd world internet level bad, you would at least be able to do something (though maybe not streaming a movie in 3D and surround sound stereo).

Massaca posted...
the entire social aspect is worthless to me

Eh, well it's not mandatory or anything. You don't have to know anyone though. You could go into bigscreen, make a public room and just chill out. Maybe someone comes in and says hi, watches what you're watching, maybe not.

FWIW I've been TRYING to get a set day/time where people from gamefaqs who have VR would be able to meet up and do stuff, but it's one of those things that you have to get some kind of critical mass of people before others will even think of checking it out. Last really big "meetup" we did was VRChat last St.Patrick's Day. It was pretty cool even though I wound up having to recharge my "hands" due to using them for more than 3 hours straight.

Anyway, If you can't get your brother to demo it then find a Microsoft store or a Microcenter or Gamestop...
https://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/events/HTCVIVE-Demo/

http://locator.vive.com/
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png

Massaca
1 month ago#48
Australia man, hour and a half into Sydney to the MS store. Which I actually didn't know was there with it, according to locator.vive so that's neat. Maybe we could get over there some weekend, after a call to see if they've got a demo unit up and running. Thanks for that link.

And I'm just not much of a social person though, TBH. I've only got 5Mbps up (23 down) so basically no streaming of any kind, which sucks.
Come to think of it though, some forum mates were talking about a movie night a while back, this would be really cool for that but then they're all console guys too. I do, however, think it sounds really cool.

arleas
1 month ago#49
Massaca posted...
I've only got 5Mbps up (23 down)

I'm betting that's plenty for most stuff...I've actually only got about 5Mbps up and 60ish down but streaming works OK for me. I think the biggest hurdle for you would be that you're in Australia (which I didn't know) so that would mean some serious latency if you did anything online. I think with Bigscreen it starts out streaming in low quality and gradually ramps up till it hits the limit, so even if you couldn't do 1080p perfect streaming you could maybe do 720p or SOMETHING.

Massaca posted...
some forum mates were talking about a movie night a while back, this would be really cool for that but then they're all console guys too.

Yeah I don't think that even PS VR works with anything like Bigscreen. If it did that would be a great option though.

User Info: jgatlabayan

jgatlabayan
1 month ago#50
premature tyrant posted...
vr really shines if you are into driving

project cars 2
assetto corsa
dirt rally

you really need a steering wheel tho
i7 7700k / GTX 1080ti / Asrock Z270 Extreme4 / 16gb DDR4 3200 / 1TB SSD / 6TB HD / BenQ XL2420T 120hz /x2 Chimei 24EH 60hz/ NZXT Phantom / Noctua NH-D14
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Just ordered a Vive. Tell me all the things to get.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived