This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

building 8700k + 1080 ti PC soon, need advice on brand of GPU/cooling options?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. building 8700k + 1080 ti PC soon, need advice on brand of GPU/cooling options?

User Info: cainism25

cainism25
2 months ago#1
time to retire my 2500k once and for all.

what 1080 ti has the best cooler?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1329708-REG/msi_gtx_1080_ti_gaming_x_11g_geforce_gtx_1080_ti.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1332744-REG/asus_geforce_gtx1080_ti_11gb_vr_geforce_gtx_1080_ti.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1333095-REG/gigabyte_gv_n108tgaming_oc_11gd_geforce_gtx1080_ti_gaming.html

those are the main 3 i am looking at.

and the 8700k, what is considered to be the best AIO cooler? I believe reviews show the Corsair H105 as best overall temps outside of custom cooling, is this still the case, its been awhile since I done this.
17.3" 1080p 100hz, Gysnc IPS, i7-7820HK @ 4.3ghz all 4 cores + GTX 1070 8GB oc'd to 2000 core on boost, 128gb NVME and 5TB seagate 2.5" Total $1560

User Info: zhenghan

zhenghan
2 months ago#2
without doing research, probably the asus one. i have an asus strix 1050 ti with roughly the same cooler (except instead of dual fan, now it's triple fan for 1080ti), and the temps are really low. the FAN never kicks in because my temps stay below 60C while gaming.

however, whether or not it will actually fit in your case/motherboard is a different story as for me the dual fan version only fit in one of the PCI-E slots, because of how long it is.
"dude i am like a 10 th grader,i am not smart i am not smart okay.i know basic english not level 100 english lol" -stephanielish

cainism25
2 months ago#3
zhenghan posted...
without doing research, probably the asus one. i have an asus strix 1050 ti with roughly the same cooler (except instead of dual fan, now it's triple fan for 1080ti), and the temps are really low. the FAN never kicks in because my temps stay below 60C while gaming.

however, whether or not it will actually fit in your case/motherboard is a different story as for me the dual fan version only fit in one of the PCI-E slots, because of how long it is.

any card will fit. i have carbide 500r case.
17.3" 1080p 100hz, Gysnc IPS, i7-7820HK @ 4.3ghz all 4 cores + GTX 1070 8GB oc'd to 2000 core on boost, 128gb NVME and 5TB seagate 2.5" Total $1560

User Info: zhenghan

zhenghan
2 months ago#4
cainism25 posted...
zhenghan posted...

any card will fit. i have carbide 500r case.

it's not just about the case, but whether the low clearance (look how it's not just long, but it goes very low) for the asus strix ti is compatible with your motherboard. because for me, the low clearance meant it would clash with some passive cooling heatsink on the motherboard on one of the slots but not the other (which is cool still if you have both slots free).
"dude i am like a 10 th grader,i am not smart i am not smart okay.i know basic english not level 100 english lol" -stephanielish

User Info: ArcadeGuy

ArcadeGuy
2 months ago#5
If you waited this long I would wait until next year. The real 4K card from Nvidia will release and first mainsteam 8-core i7.

cainism25
2 months ago#6
can someone tell me why the msi 1080 ti is called the Duke?

what does the DUKE mean?

https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/GeForce-GTX-1080-Ti-DUKE-11G-OC.html

User Info: myztikrice

myztikrice
2 months ago#7
probably their wife's uncle or something
"Why are you always smiling?"
"'Cause it's all so f***in' hysterical."

User Info: ZeroCharge

ZeroCharge
2 months ago#8
I have the MSI 1080Ti and it runs like a dream in my system. Like pretty much every other brand now the fans don't turn on until a certain temp is hit and even when the fans are spinning I never hear them. And in my personal experience with the ASUS one my friend owns and I installed for him the fans on that one are a bit louder under load than my own MSI card. Idk if that's due to the extra fan that the ASUS one has but I guess what it really comes down to is personal preference. I lean heavily towards MSI cards because I love the design, but I know tons of people like ASUS and Gigabyte too.
Corsair A540 Cube Case | SABERTOOTH Z97 MK I | i7 4770k @ 4.4GHz | H110i | 16GB Dominator Platinum 1866 | MSI Gaming X 1080Ti | Corsair AX1200 | W10

User Info: it_r_over9000

it_r_over9000
2 months ago#9
The Strix is probably the best of all the air-cooled 1080 ti's.

Edit: https://www.gamersnexus.net/images/media/2017/GPUs/1080-ti/strix/asus-strix-1080ti-40dba.png

With fan speeds configured to a fixed 40dBA output, we finally start to see some distinction between these AIB partner cards. The other cards are all-or-nothing fan speeds, making them easier. ASUS is impressive, here: The ROG Strix runs cooler on the GPU, producing a 31.4C delta T over ambient value, which is a full 6C cooler than the next closest card – the Gaming X. The Gaming X has generally been one of the quietest cards on our bench. That card has now been dethroned by ASUS.

Next, the Gigabyte Xtreme Aorus, which doesn’t look great when these are all tested at stock speeds, is running 40.7C delta T. The FTW3 is last, but again, it is the most difficult to configure. You could get these temperatures lower and sacrifice other component temperatures, if so desired.

Power temperatures measured on the middle MOSFET, offset up, land the Strix again at the lead, with a 35.4C delta T measurement. EVGA’s FTW3 is the coolest for VRM components when all cards are configured to auto, but loses ground to ASUS here with its 40.4C delta T value, with MSI trailing at 42.1C delta T.

Finally, the VRAM module between the GPU and VRM measures at 52.7C delta T on the ASUS Strix card, where EVGA runs a 56.6C VRAM temperature, trailed by MSI at 57.9C.

With these noise-equalized tests, ASUS is the clear victor – and not in an insignificant way, in the GPU test. We’re excited about this new test procedure and will be rapidly expanding it for future reviews. It only really works when we’ve got a bunch of the same card, as comparing these numbers between multiple GPUs wouldn’t really make much sense. Still, we’ll play around with it as content continues to ramp.
i7 4770k @ 4.5 | H115i | Maximus Hero VI | Asus Strix 1080 ti OC | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | XFX 850w Pro Black Full Modular | 850 EVO 1.5TB | Seagate 1TB HDD

User Info: Riot55555

Riot55555
2 months ago#10
Same boat with a 2500k wanting to get an 8700k but I'm super frustrated that they're impossible to find and no ETA of when they'll become available. Unless I'm ready at a moment's notice (assuming I even get alerted in time) then I doubt I'll be able to even buy them when they get more, whenever that will even be. Sigh.
youtube.com/riot55 ~~ twitch.tv/riot12345
Competitive Global Elite CS:GO, Hearthstone, Street Fighter gameplay, tutorials and more!
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. building 8700k + 1080 ti PC soon, need advice on brand of GPU/cooling options?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived