This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Would my obscure motherboard limit my CPU upgrade options?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Would my obscure motherboard limit my CPU upgrade options?

User Info: MabinogiFan

MabinogiFan
1 month ago#1
While I upgraded my prebuilt computer's GPU to a 1050 Ti, it still sports the motherboard and CPU it originally came with. I'd like to upgrade my CPU eventually, but my motherboard is from a 2011 computer, and information on it is pretty scarce online. My computer's model is a Gateway FX6840, and the CPU it's sporting is an 15 650 @ 3.20GHz.

Should I attempt to upgrade my CPU without changing my motherboard, or just buy a new mobo and CPU together? Also, changing my mobo wouldn't affect my Windows settings in a big way, would it? I doubt it would, but I figured I'd ask anyway.

User Info: OUberLord

OUberLord
1 month ago#2
Your mobo is likely an older chipset that modern CPUs aren't being made for any more. You'll probably want to go ahead and consider replacing both, also keeping in mind that the RAM you have now may or may not be compatible with the new mobo you choose.

Windows 8 and Windows 10 can handle motherboard swaps without issue, though you'll likely need to reregister Windows so you'll need to make sure you have your key handy. I'm not sure if Windows 7 handles such a swap as gracefully. In either case, definitely ensure that you install the proper drivers for your mothboard after the swap.

User Info: godplaysSNES

godplaysSNES
1 month ago#3
If you could find an i5 750 or i7 860 for cheap, it'd be able to play modern games again.

But it's better to get a new build (CPU, mobo, RAM) than spend much money upgrading that PC.
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!

User Info: ElDudorino

ElDudorino
1 month ago#4
When it comes to Intel, you're generally going to have to change the motherboard any time you change CPUs.

godplaysSNES posted...
If you could find an i5 750 or i7 860 for cheap, it'd be able to play modern games again.

I think the i5-650 outperforms the i5-750 in most gaming scenarios anyway, so for a straight upgrade it looks like the motherboard's gotta go.

User Info: godplaysSNES

godplaysSNES
1 month ago#5
The i5 650 is just a dual core with hyperthreading and the i5 750 is a quad core. The i5 650 might win in old single threaded games (and even then it's just a 200 mhz difference in their turbo speeds), but in anything modern it would be destroyed by the i5 750.
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!

User Info: Hatsune_Miku

Hatsune_Miku
1 month ago#6
Real Advise: Build your own computer... The only thing you will need is Motherboard, cpu, and psbl ram if your old stuff doesn't work, and it's going to be apples to oranges over that old setup.
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/zRHKHN

User Info: MabinogiFan

MabinogiFan
1 month ago#7
I know that my old RAM is DDR2, but that alone probably won't determine if it's be compatible. Best case scenario I'd only have to replace my CPU, mobo, and maybe my PSU too, but that'd still run me $400+ for good parts.

User Info: Hatsune_Miku

Hatsune_Miku
1 month ago#8
so yea, new ram. PSU really depends, if it's running your gpu now, there is a chance you won't NEED to upgrade it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/zRHKHN

User Info: ElDudorino

ElDudorino
1 month ago#9
MabinogiFan posted...
I know that my old RAM is DDR2, but that alone probably won't determine if it's be compatible.
Knowing the generation of RAM and what type of machine it goes in is basically all you need to know to know the compatibility. I didn't realize they made motherboards for i5-650s that supported DDR2 but I can guarantee you that you won't be using it on your next computer. DDR3 had already become the norm by the time your computer was made and most if not all modern motherboard require DDR4. And RAM is also super expensive at the moment, so that sucks.

So you're looking at CPU, motherboard, and RAM, but like Hatsune_Miku says you don't necessarily need to replace your PSU. If it works with your current setup, as long as your next CPU doesn't use up way more power then there's no reason why you'd have to replace it.

User Info: Terantatek

Terantatek
1 month ago#10
Just buy a new pc and stick in your gpu
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/WJMPZ8
i7 7700k @ 4.6ghz | Asus ROG Strix 1080TI OC | Ripjaws 16GB 3000mhz | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus Swift PG278QR
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Would my obscure motherboard limit my CPU upgrade options?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived