This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So how paid off are the ESRB?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. So how paid off are the ESRB?

User Info: Jason_Hudson

Jason_Hudson
2 months ago#21
I think they are close with certain publishers, particularly the ones do these sorts of things. Do they receive benefits? Who knows, but the conspiracy theorist in me believes they do.

Loot boxes are gambling.

"Gambling is the wagering of money or something of value (referred to as "the stakes") on an event with an uncertain outcome with the primary intent of winning money or material goods. "

You pay money for a loot box, which has an uncertain outcome (random items) and you intend to win a good item from the box. Example - Overwatch. You want a legendary skin, but there is the chance for rare/epic skins, or even items that aren't skins. That is a gamble.

The ESRB are f***ing stupid if they truly believe otherwise, and I honestly think they know it's gambling, but don't want to upset the publishers.

Maybe PEGI will say differently? Maybe European countries will step in, say that loot boxes are gambling and demand that all games with them in must be 18+ and labelled clearly (and in Europe, 18+ is fine for selling games, it's basically equivalent to an M rating).

Something needs to happen, this s*** is getting out of hand.
Specs: i7 4790k@4.6GHz |EVGA 1080 FTW| 16GB RAM - GLORIOUS PC MASTER RACE!
TRUMP IS THE GREATEST US PRESIDENT!

User Info: -5xad0w-

-5xad0w-
2 months ago#22
They are 100% paid off when they do something I don't agree with.

Just like everyone else.
"This is a cool way to die!" -Philip J. Fry
KCO222OB|1440 Watts|6 Slice|Timer|Crumb Tray|Is a Toaster Oven

User Info: OptimusRekt

OptimusRekt
2 months ago#23
Was thinking about this and @Jason_Hudson pretty much said what I was going to say. But I'd go one step further and say that it's not only gambling but not even the chances are being told to the buyer, which is a violation of many countries laws against gambling. So to start I'll begin with the three things something must be to be assumed as gambling: "Gambling thus requires three elements be present: consideration, chance and prize."

Lootboxes are a consideration because the offer you a way of either a) a new way of playing the game, b) a chance of upgrade to the game, or c) a new cosmetic way of playing the game that requires money but also chance. All 3 considerations have a chance of happening and in some cases are repeated (like duplicate skins) and the person's money is never refunded to the amount they invested. They may choose to see the outcome as worth more than what they paid though, even if the item has no monetary value or does in some trading/selling sense. But rarely are the chances told to the consumers (nobody knows how often they will receive a certain skin in Overwatch for example or a certain upgrade in Star Wars Battlefront 2, subject to change). The last item is that the gambling item must give a prize, which lootboxes do.

I see nothing but gambling going on with lootboxes. It's kinda hard not to. If it was a DLC you would know what you are getting. That's not gambling, just as an expansion is not gambling. So yeah, the ESRB is talking pure BS.
"Too fast for freedom, sometimes it all falls down, these chains never leave me, I keep dragging them around..." - Delilah by Florence Welch

User Info: Lum_Yatsura

Lum_Yatsura
2 months ago#24
You think? Doesn't the game industry operate the ESRB?
https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1124-lums-ufo-comedy-anime-and-manga

User Info: rpgian

rpgian
2 months ago#25
Couldn't comment, but I'm pretty sure just like the movie ratings the jobs are reserved for the idiot children of famous producers and studio execs.

My daddy made a movie. I haz job. To boil it down.

User Info: Orestes417

Orestes417
2 months ago#26
cody4783 posted...
Jedi454 posted...
Sum_quod_eris posted...
It's not technically gambling. Effectively it's the same thing, though.

How can it be technically not be gambling, but be the same thing?

Legal definition vs. public opinion.

One matters, the other doesn't in the slightest. Lootboxes themselves aren't gambling, at least not until the possibility of profiting comes into play. Closed systems like Overwatch aren't gambling, as the pixels have zero actual value and are incapable of acquiring value. CS:GO on the other hand needs a serious looking at from all sorts of angles including tax code violations.
When nothing remains everything becomes possible.

User Info: BearShrooms

BearShrooms
2 months ago#27
Orestes417 posted...
cody4783 posted...
Jedi454 posted...
Sum_quod_eris posted...
It's not technically gambling. Effectively it's the same thing, though.

How can it be technically not be gambling, but be the same thing?

Legal definition vs. public opinion.

One matters, the other doesn't in the slightest. Lootboxes themselves aren't gambling, at least not until the possibility of profiting comes into play. Closed systems like Overwatch aren't gambling, as the pixels have zero actual value and are incapable of acquiring value. CS:GO on the other hand needs a serious looking at from all sorts of angles including tax code violations.

Here's a great example of some of the legal issues we face in America. We have laws that make no damn sense and you'd rather just move on and go after CS:GO for tax evasion than worry about that we have something that is CLEARLY a violation of the intent of the law.

User Info: Dr_keith

Dr_keith
2 months ago#28
I agree that it is gambling and you should have to be 21 years old to buy loot boxes.

Or baseball cards.
If you're worse than me: You're a n00b.
If you're better than me: You're a hacker.

User Info: Orestes417

Orestes417
2 months ago#29
You want to fix the laws? Get on the phone to your congressman. Until the wording matches the intent that's about all you can do. Meanwhile, nailing their asses for tax evasion is VERY doable under the current wording of the laws and in fact should've been done before now.
When nothing remains everything becomes possible.

User Info: DaedalusEx

DaedalusEx
2 months ago#30
Loot boxes trigger the same exact responses that gambling does, where dopamine is released because of the amount of uncertainty is very high

It's like how people say marijuana isn't addictive but yet people get psychologically addicted to it. Technically it's not addictive, but yet it is to some people.

You pay money for a loot box, which has an uncertain outcome (random items) and you intend to win a good item from the box... That is a gamble.

I don't think I've ever seen such an embarrassing collection of arguments in a topic before. This s*** isn't even worth responding to.

People, please, be honest with yourselves. You never thought booster packs for CCGs were gambling. You never thought these http://www.x-entertainment.com/articles/0918/rack.jpg were gambling. The only reason you think loot boxes are gambling is because it personally affects you and you don't like them.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. So how paid off are the ESRB?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived