This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do pirates act lole denuvo is the reasom they pirate

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Why do pirates act lole denuvo is the reasom they pirate

User Info: randomoaf

randomoaf
1 month ago#111
@BearShrooms
@DaedalusEx
@Bleu_Skie

thumbs way up!

User Info: blacklabelice

blacklabelice
1 month ago#112
its been 9 hours now. wheres my god damn south park???

this is blasphemy
I cant afford a good vacation, so i'm just going to drink until i dont know where i am.

User Info: Heisenberg312

Heisenberg312
1 month ago#113
BearShrooms posted...
EVERY SINGLE TIME.

I called it out pages ago and it's still happening. Anti-piracy people get the arguments they don't want to hear and just ignore them.

"every pirate is just stealing". Literally untrue and unproveable. Some of them, sure.

"Of course they wouldn't buy it if they can get it for free". YOU can literally get it for free, any time, through the same methods, but you aren't. Yet you aren't some mythical white knight champion that's better than everyone else in the world.

"They might just give the ripped copy to their friends". Like you might just share your steam library with friends? How much sense would it make if I went around stating that "everyone who buys a game from steam is sharing it with their friends and is much worse than piracy"? That's exactly how baseless and stupid the anti-piracy arguments on here have been.

The path of options after "downloads game" does not only lead to "keeps free game", it could also lead to "buys game". How could you be so ignorant that you can't see this or so angry and biased that you can't admit it?

I personally know pirates that use piracy as a demo medium and have bought more games because they've been able to demo a game and make sure it's not the over-hyped ripoff that 80% of gaming has been lately, they then delete and never finish the games they don't buy. Literally no sales lost and actually MORE PROFITS GAINED. I know these people. This isn't something you can argue and your entire argumentative premise goes out the window.

But youll ignore this, you'll completely ignore this argument so you can barf out your company apologist rhetoric rather than holding them accountable for wasting development money on denuvo and making exuses for a poor product. Which brings me to my next point.

Since it's been largely proven that piracy doesn't hurt sales, why do you care? This gets pointed out and asked every time one of these piracy topics gets brought up and it gets ignored every time. Why do you care? They aren't losing money, in fact PIRACY HAS BEEN PROVEN TO HELP SALES, so why do you care?

Are you a denuvo dev? Do YOU SECRETLY WANT THESE GAMES TO FAIL? Since the game company isn't being hurt, why do you care?

TLDR: You're just going to ignore this too.

I would agree with all of that if any of it was true.
It's not.
It's you justifying your behavior and trying to convince everyone else that you are not wrong.
Except you are wrong.
But here, let me make this easier for you to understand.
Go to a store and steal from them.
When you get caught, try to reason with the police and store manager why it's not wrong the same way you are trying to reason to us.
Get back to us when you are released from jail.
Now, say my name.

User Info: phantasy

phantasy
1 month ago#114
I have more respect for pirates is they just admit they just want it for free than to justify why they do it.
[This message was FORCEFULLY deleted by a moderator or administrator]

User Info: thegreatandrewm

thegreatandrewm
1 month ago#115
Because all the money is spent on the pc hardware :)
ok me make sig happy
i72600k 3.4ghz x12 ,12 GB DDR3 x60,sapphire 7970 x20,1500w power supply x6.

User Info: TiamatKiller

TiamatKiller
1 month ago#116
To be completely honest, I don't really care about pirates. But it certainly does boggle my mind how many mental gymnastics people go through in order to rationalize pirating...

The time-honored "it's copying not stealing" argument

The classic "rogue vigilante" tale (this would be the whole use-Denuvo as justification thing)

The "they wouldn't have bought it anyway" argument

Fact is, a product created with the intention of being sold or consumed for the creator's profit is being consumed/used without that creator getting said profit.

I also think that trying to clarify legal grounds surrounding this issue can open up rabbit holes that we wouldn't want dug up, from an internet-use perspective.

So tl;dr we all know why people are pirating but it's complicated to deal with.
https://steamcommunity.com/id/tiamatkiller/wishlist
https://www.origin.com/usa/en-us/view-wishlist/rUvvibpQOtuFY4zRY3wu7A--

User Info: GTL581

GTL581
1 month ago#117
TiamatKiller posted...
Fact is, a product created with the intention of being sold or consumed for the creator's profit is being consumed/used without that creator getting said profit.

this is what people don't get. gaming is a luxury, not a necessity. i really don't care if people pirate, i've done it myself, but to act like you're in the right for doing it - for taking something for free that the original creator intended to be compensated for - is just slimy; especially acting that way when it's something that you don't need to survive. entitlement at its finest.

i love the "but piracy leads to more sales, and there's data to back it up" argument. there is no way to prove this. why is that? because we don't have data to compare sales in a world with piracy (ours) vs some bizarro version of earth without piracy. you can't say that piracy helps people buy games if we don't know how they would handle their funds if piracy weren't an option at all. even if people do pirate games to 'demo' them, do you think that they're buying every single game they pirate? do people buy every game that they play the demo for? if the creator didn't put a demo out for the game, then you're not entitled to one. it's as simple as that. want a demo? play the game on steam for 1 hour and 59 minutes, then decide if you want a refund.

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
1 month ago#118
coolguy_23 posted...
They pirate because it's easy and free nothing else.

This - as evidenced by GoGs entire catalog appearing on a torrent at one point. Piracy exists because mob mentality exists "everybody else does it, it's a slap on the wrist from my ISP, so why not?".
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii-U | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES

User Info: BearShrooms

BearShrooms
1 month ago#119
GTL581 posted...
TiamatKiller posted...

this is what people don't get. gaming is a luxury, not a necessity. i really don't care if people pirate, i've done it myself, but to act like you're in the right for doing it - for taking something for free that the original creator intended to be compensated for - is just slimy; especially acting that way when it's something that you don't need to survive. entitlement at its finest.

i love the "but piracy leads to more sales, and there's data to back it up" argument. there is no way to prove this. why is that? because we don't have data to compare sales in a world with piracy (ours) vs some bizarro version of earth without piracy. you can't say that piracy helps people buy games if we don't know how they would handle their funds if piracy weren't an option at all. even if people do pirate games to 'demo' them, do you think that they're buying every single game they pirate? do people buy every game that they play the demo for? if the creator didn't put a demo out for the game, then you're not entitled to one. it's as simple as that. want a demo? play the game on steam for 1 hour and 59 minutes, then decide if you want a refund.

But we do have the data to back it up. We have the data to back it up from the mountain of people that admit to having done this. People like you are the ones ignoring the data and going around insisting that all of these people are lying.

Lets address a few of your points here.

Yes gaming is a luxury. But how is this slimy? If the person wasn't going to buy the game, pirates it, and decides not to buy it. How is it slimy?

The creator wasn't going to get the money either way, so how is it slimy? Is it slimy because the person got a transparent look at their purchases before giving their money away.

What about the scams, lies, and false advertisements that is the marketing and review systems in place around gaming. Is piracy any less slimy if a company falsely advertises their product?

How is there no way to prove that piracy doesn't lead to more sales? I mean, I get that you are arguing that there is no control or comparison groups. But I promise you from personal experience that there are people that just wouldn't buy games anymore if piracy wasn't an option. I'm telling you that it is a fact that I know people that have demo'd and bought games using piracy that they never would've bought otherwise. Are you simply accusing me of lying?

Onto the demo argument. Of course they don't buy every game they demo, hence "demo". If they were going to buy literally every game they pirated then their wouldn't be a purpose of pirating. That doesn't prevent them from demoing and buying a game they never would've bought without the demo OR not buying a game they never wouldve bought.

Also, using steams return policy as a demo service is in violation of their TOS. If you want to talk about justification, well I agreed not to break steams TOS, I agreed to that contract. I've never seen anyone handed a contract where they had to agree not to pirate.

But at the end of the day the continued argument is, "they are just trying to justify it or be "right" about it". Well guess what. Morality is fictional. Made up, it's all made up. Nothing about life says that it's wrong to pirate, or that devs deserve money for their "creations" or anything like that.

Ironically, you don't have a problem with people doing it, just with them trying to justify it as "right" yet you defend these companies in blatant disregard of fact almost like you are trying to justify anti-piracy, kinda silly.

User Info: Darth_Kamcio

Darth_Kamcio
1 month ago#120
GTL581 posted...

Meanwhile that one research document hidden by EU failed to prove that piracy harms sales, if I recall correctly.
You have absolutely no right to complain about a decision you decided to support with your money. Be smart and vote with your wallets!
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Why do pirates act lole denuvo is the reasom they pirate

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived