This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do pirates act lole denuvo is the reasom they pirate

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Why do pirates act lole denuvo is the reasom they pirate

User Info: BearShrooms

BearShrooms
1 month ago#121
JKatarn posted...
coolguy_23 posted...
They pirate because it's easy and free nothing else.

This - as evidenced by GoGs entire catalog appearing on a torrent at one point. Piracy exists because mob mentality exists "everybody else does it, it's a slap on the wrist from my ISP, so why not?".

Ahh yes, the old, "this situation is black and white" argument that always holds true when determining the reasons for behaviors of people throughout history and across many different cultures. Nothing shows your intelligence more than claiming something as absolutely true with respect to reasoning for the behavior of thousands of unrelated individuals and their personal choices.

User Info: kupostitch

kupostitch
1 month ago#122
randomoaf posted...
Pengu1n posted...
That a pirate is going steal a game play through it then actually pay for it instead of just setting out with the intention of stealing it and not paying?

When you think about it logically, of course a pirate isn't going to buy the game they just played through & beat. It's not about that. The reason why piracy leads to more sales is because it builds preferences. Their increased access to media means that they will have more preferences than the typical gamer or media consumer who makes it a serious matter to restrict their preferences because they can't possibly buy or play everything.

The pirate also uses this access that no one else has, to evaluate the product and report to prospective consumers. While people would say that the pirate's opinion is not needed (as legitimate consumers can provide it as well), that doesn't change the fact that there are more sets of eyes & depending on the pirate, they can bring in more sets of eyes who will just happen to buy the game.
that.

SO basically, pirates are being used to an extent by publishing companies, and when you see COD or more popular games , it is because that´s what people are PLAYING, and demmanding, does not matter if they buy that or not.
unfortunatley , this means that piracy justifies DLC , microtransactions and focus on multiplayer at the end.

BearShrooms
1 month ago#123
kupostitch posted...
randomoaf posted...
Pengu1n posted...
That a pirate is going steal a game play through it then actually pay for it instead of just setting out with the intention of stealing it and not paying?

When you think about it logically, of course a pirate isn't going to buy the game they just played through & beat. It's not about that. The reason why piracy leads to more sales is because it builds preferences. Their increased access to media means that they will have more preferences than the typical gamer or media consumer who makes it a serious matter to restrict their preferences because they can't possibly buy or play everything.

The pirate also uses this access that no one else has, to evaluate the product and report to prospective consumers. While people would say that the pirate's opinion is not needed (as legitimate consumers can provide it as well), that doesn't change the fact that there are more sets of eyes & depending on the pirate, they can bring in more sets of eyes who will just happen to buy the game.
that.

SO basically, pirates are being used to an extent by publishing companies, and when you see COD or more popular games , it is because that´s what people are PLAYING, and demmanding, does not matter if they buy that or not.
unfortunatley , this means that piracy justifies DLC , microtransactions and focus on multiplayer at the end.

ITT People need to stop focusing on moral justifications as they mean almost nothing. Piracy doesn't hurt as much as software companies would have you believe and its more detrimental than pirates would have you believe. And, no, companies sell dlc/micros/w-e because it's profitable, there is no other reasoning behind it.

User Info: kupostitch

kupostitch
1 month ago#124
BearShrooms posted...
kupostitch posted...
randomoaf posted...
Pengu1n posted...

that.

ITT People need to stop focusing on moral justifications as they mean almost nothing. Piracy doesn't hurt as much as software companies would have you believe and its more detrimental than pirates would have you believe. And, no, companies sell dlc/micros/w-e because it's profitable, there is no other reasoning behind it.

it is not about morals, if I learn people prefer something, I go and try to satisfy that , and if that is more profitable, why not continue? why risk it ?

User Info: Heisenberg312

Heisenberg312
1 month ago#125
The pirates we are currently talking to are "luck" pirates. They are the ones who were lucky enough to not have pirated bad copies of games.
The "lost" pirates are the ones you hear nothing about. They are the ones who's luck ran out, downloaded a virus and now have no pc, so you never hear from them on gamefaq or elsewhere.
If it's true that pirates make up a small number of game sales, is it because so many pirates lost their pc to a scourge?
I like to think so.
It's just pure common sense. If you buy games, the chances of you losing your pc to a scourge is zero.
You pirate a game, the chances are greater. Eventually, your luck will just run out and no one will hear from you again.
Now there's a thought. How many pc were lost due to pirating? No one knows. Pirates are a secretive bunch, to be sure. They have to be. So if a virus akin to the black death hits pirates who will know? Who will even care? Has anyone ever mourn a thief? Will a developer even bat an eye?
Most likely no.
Now, say my name.

User Info: Jedi454

Jedi454
1 month ago#126
Where are people saying this?
If you don't like microtransactions in full priced AAA games, vote with your wallet and don't buy those games.

BearShrooms
1 month ago#127
kupostitch posted...
BearShrooms posted...
kupostitch posted...
randomoaf posted...
Pengu1n posted...

that.

it is not about morals, if I learn people prefer something, I go and try to satisfy that , and if that is more profitable, why not continue? why risk it ?

You're right, I quoted this but really was replying more to some of the other posts here. My apologies.

User Info: Darth_Kamcio

Darth_Kamcio
1 month ago#128
Heisenberg312 posted...
The pirates we are currently talking to are "luck" pirates. They are the ones who were lucky enough to not have pirated bad copies of games.
The "lost" pirates are the ones you hear nothing about. They are the ones who's luck ran out, downloaded a virus and now have no pc, so you never hear from them on gamefaq or elsewhere.
If it's true that pirates make up a small number of game sales, is it because so many pirates lost their pc to a scourge?
I like to think so.
It's just pure common sense. If you buy games, the chances of you losing your pc to a scourge is zero.
You pirate a game, the chances are greater. Eventually, your luck will just run out and no one will hear from you again.
Now there's a thought. How many pc were lost due to pirating? No one knows. Pirates are a secretive bunch, to be sure. They have to be. So if a virus akin to the black death hits pirates who will know? Who will even care? Has anyone ever mourn a thief? Will a developer even bat an eye?
Most likely no.

It takes a special kind of a noob to have your PC wrecked by a pirated game. And I have yet to hear of a unrecoverable case. You're talking as if pirated games had a chance of making your pc explode.
You have absolutely no right to complain about a decision you decided to support with your money. Be smart and vote with your wallets!

User Info: GTL581

GTL581
1 month ago#129
BearShrooms posted...
But we do have the data to back it up. We have the data to back it up from the mountain of people that admit to having done this. People like you are the ones ignoring the data and going around insisting that all of these people are lying.

i'm not insisting that anyone is lying. i'm insisting that a lot of these people are entitled and grasp at whatever straws they can in order to justify that what they're doing is actually a good thing.

Yes gaming is a luxury. But how is this slimy? If the person wasn't going to buy the game, pirates it, and decides not to buy it. How is it slimy?

The creator wasn't going to get the money either way, so how is it slimy? Is it slimy because the person got a transparent look at their purchases before giving their money away.

this ties into my point about not knowing what the world would be like without piracy. there's no way to know. if piracy weren't an option, we don't know whether these people (or a portion of them, if you're the type to really pick posts apart based on semantics, rather than the actual topic at hand) would just suck it up and still go out and buy games. if they do enjoy gaming, and it's their only means of playing games, then who says that they absolutely, verifiably, 100% wouldn't buy the game? it's slimy because the creator dictates what is available to the consumer, and at what price. it's their say on what we get, whether we like it or not. again, this only holds in the case of gaming because gaming isn't something needed to survive. we can go on just fine without partaking at all in the activity.

What about the scams, lies, and false advertisements that is the marketing and review systems in place around gaming. Is piracy any less slimy if a company falsely advertises their product?

what does this have to do with anything? you're not forced to play video games, and you're not forced to be subjected to these "scams," "lies," and "false advertisements." if *the pirate in question* were a truly smart consumer, they would know how to determine whether a game is worth their time despite all of these "atrocities" that companies like to use as marketing, and without needing to play the game first to find out. i can't remember the last time that i bought a game that i didn't like, and i haven't pirated any video games in about 8 years. it's not witchcraft, it's called doing research.

How is there no way to prove that piracy doesn't lead to more sales? I mean, I get that you are arguing that there is no control or comparison groups. But I promise you from personal experience that there are people that just wouldn't buy games anymore if piracy wasn't an option. I'm telling you that it is a fact that I know people that have demo'd and bought games using piracy that they never would've bought otherwise. Are you simply accusing me of lying?

you really love trying to put words in peoples mouths. why so defensive? i don't know how you get that i was calling you a liar out of my post. but i'll play along. i know people who pirate games too, except they don't end up buying the games that they download. now where does that leave us? in a standstill because we're backing up our arguments with hearsay and "but i know people who do X." (for the record, i do know people who pirate games and don't end up paying for them, i wasn't just pandering for the sake of being a dick). and before you say that those people probably wouldn't have bought the game anyway, i will state for the 5th time that there is no way to know that. we don't have data from a world without piracy detailing what they have or have not purchased.

User Info: GTL581

GTL581
1 month ago#130
Onto the demo argument. Of course they don't buy every game they demo, hence "demo". So if a person pirates a game they would never buy, demos it, then buys it; then the company gets profits they never would've gotten. If a person pirates a game they would never buy, demos it, then doesn't buy it; then the company doesn't lose or gain anything.

what about all of the people who download the games, enjoy and beat the game, then never dive a dime to the developers? it's baseless and wrong to use either as a "factual" argument because there is no proof one way or the other, it's all speculation as to what people would do if 'X' didn't exist.

And I'm sorry but a 2 hour demo is not long enough on a lot of games that don't even get you into the meat of the game in 2 hours.

"i'm sorry, but i would like to eat half of my meal before i know whether i want to pay for it or not." that's essentially what i'm getting out of that statement. i don't know how to get this through to you, but you're not entitled to anything. you're not even entitled to video games at all, if you don't like the system then don't play video games. and if you're going to still do it by using questionable means, then just accept that they're questionable means. you're acting like admitting piracy is wrong will result in you getting tarred and feathered or castrated by your peers. it won't! i do it myself, and i still have the sense to admit that it's not right.

Morality is fictional. Made up, it's all made up. Nothing about life says that it's wrong to pirate, or that devs deserve money for their "creations" or anything like that.

let's go down this rabbit hole then, shall we? let's condone murder, genocide, rape. morality is all made up anyway, so what's the problem? if someone creates something, then releases it to the public for a premium, then they do deserve to be compensated by those who want to use it, regardless of what you think is right or wrong with their practices. if we all needed video games to survive, and had to endure all of these shady business decisions, then it would be a different story.

Ironically, you don't have a problem with people doing it, just with them trying to justify it as "right" yet you defend these companies in blatant disregard of fact almost like you are trying to justify anti-piracy, kinda silly.

you're the one putting labels on the whole thing, like this is some big battle between the "pro-pirates" and the "anti-pirates." i don't give a damn what people do, but if they're going to claim that 2+2=5, then i'll be more than happy to point out the fallacy. and you say "companies" as if every game dev/publisher are ea, activision, or ubisoft. if you're going to take the argument down that route, then you're selectively choosing which companies deserve to be pirated from in order to back up the act itself, and thus using examples that are only morally convenient for yourself.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Why do pirates act lole denuvo is the reasom they pirate

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived