This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do pirates act lole denuvo is the reasom they pirate

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Why do pirates act lole denuvo is the reasom they pirate

User Info: movuzzo

movuzzo
1 month ago#141
xEnraiyax posted...
Some do for that very reason, but plenty because they are just to poor to afford what they are pirating. Does it anger you that someone got something for free and you paid for it or something? Those people weren't a sell to begin with, so the publishers/developers aren't out of any money from their kind because they didn't have the money to spend on non-necessities to begin with.

I thought when they can't pirate a game they will work for it and save some money then buy it anyway.

User Info: GTL581

GTL581
1 month ago#142
BearShrooms posted...
I NEVER ONCE said you were calling me a liar

oh?

People like you are the ones ignoring the data and going around insisting that all of these people are lying.

followed immediately by:

Are you simply accusing me of lying?

the implication is pretty strong, whether direct or indirect. you're quick to accuse people of 'thinking everyone who pirates ever is a liar' if those aforementioned people don't agree with what you have to say. not to mention that you're incredibly defensive about your argument, as evident by the way you reacted to my post, along with others in this thread. chill out.

You can eat half a meal and then choose not to pay, actually. That's why you pay AFTER you eat at almost every restaurant and will get immediate refunds at any place that charges you ahead of time. In fact, gaming and software are some of the only markets that don't offer refunds due to lack of satisfaction with the product.

only an idiot would know if their meal didn't please their taste buds upon merely a few bites. anyone who eats more than that of any one particular food in a dish, then decides that they don't like it is most likely abusing the system for their own personal gain. they know that the restaurant puts the customer first, even if it means the proprietor is losing money on labor, inventory, time, etc. unless that person is made physically ill by the meal halfway through, if they didn't like it they should have put it down after they got a taste of it - not fill their gullet and then ask for a refund.

Sure, no one is entitled to video games, and no one is entitled to profits from video games, it's all made up. You are suggesting that they are entitled to the profits of a game they created even though they did nothing to provide said game to a pirate.

alright, so this is where your argument goes into 'crazy delusions' territory. i won't get into the rest of that paragraph beyond just using the exclamation of: "WOW." you really have a skewed view of the world. if someone created something, it doesn't automatically become public domain. if the developer makes something and wants money in exchange for others to use their software, then they are entitled to the profits from those who use it. creating video games isn't a charity, and if you're going to consciously dodge that cost asked by the developers, and deny them of funds (it doesn't matter if you may buy it later down the road, you're still jumping through hoops in order to access their software without paying for it up front), then you're partaking in a slimy act.

i really don't think that you know what entitlement means. we as consumers have no right to anything beyond what the developers offer at whatever given pricepoint - be it free, all the way through the $120 game+season pass with loot boxes option. if we don't need it to survive, then we don't get a say in the prices they offer their goods and services at. anyone who acts like they do is simply wrong. you keep throwing out that things like 'entitlement' and 'morality' aren't real, that's entirely false; they may be relative, but they are most definitely real. there's a very big difference in that distinction. but hey, if you want to go on being a solipsist and deny the existence of how the world actually works as well as the very real social constructs that we live within, then that's cool i guess.

User Info: BearShrooms

BearShrooms
1 month ago#143
The cranky hermit posted...
BearShrooms posted...
If we assume that even half of the people claiming "demo" are telling the truth then it is a mountain of people.

It's not a mountain of people, and this can be proven. Games with demos get pirated at the exact same rate as games without demos. So assuming you've actually seen two mountains of people claim it's just a "demo," most of them are liars.

I suspect it's because most of the anti-piracy people can't prove that piracy hurts anything

It's on the pro-piracy people to prove it doesn't hurt anything, which of course they can't. The idea that piracy hurts developers only needs to assume that all other things being equal, consumers will pick free over not free. You know what else assumes this? Pretty much everything about economic theory.

To believe that piracy doesn't hurt anything, you have to believe that of the millions of people pirating any given game, none of them actually wanted it. And that's f***ing stupid.

I wonder if jealousy is one of those reasons.

That's also f***ing stupid. If consumers who don't pirate were jealous of those who do, what would stop them from pirating too? Absolutely nothing. You're not special or talented because you know how to pirate a game.

I think it'd be on you to prove that a game with a demo gets pirated the exact same as a game without. I can tell you for sure that at least 1 person doesn't pirate games with demos. So that statement is false.

Why is it on the pro-piracy people to prove it doesn't hurt anything? People liking free stuff in economics is a strawman and has nothing to do with the argument at hand. Sure, given the choice between a legal free product and purchasing said product people will choose free, but that doesn't mean that it's the same with piracy. If your statement was true, along with your final point, then more people would pirate than not pirate, obviously that's not true.

To believe piracy doesn't hurt anything doesn't have anything to do with whether or not people "want it". It has to do with whether or not they want it enough to buy it without demo'ing it and then a comparison ratio of how many people would've bought it without piracy vs people who did buy it because piracy, which you have literally no way of proving. At worst you can assume it's a wash with it neither hurting nor helping.

And the jealousy thing, lmfao. Your suggestion being that people who don't get jealous of things they are capable of participating in? Laughable at best, lots of people get angsty and jealous over things they could participate in. Maybe they are jealous because they are jealous somebody is getting something for free that they feel obligated to pay for. That right there counters your entire argument.

BearShrooms
1 month ago#144
GTL581

First you agree that I didn't say you call me a liar, thanks for that.

You also then go on to say that the meal thing is wrong but then provide points that counter your own argument. So, again, not really sure what point you were trying to make

But I really want you to answer the slimy thing that I keep asking you. If a dev isn't hurt by the piracy then how is it slimy? How? Because you don't like it? Because they don't like it? They didn't lose anything, they didnt "not gain" anything, they were literally unaffected by it, so how is it slimy? Oh, it's not, it's just that your "opinion" on what entitlement is has something to do with the legality of copyrights.

And, onto the final thing. I love how you claim that I'm in denial of how the world works when you are the one who doesn't understand that literally the only reason that any of the things you think are "right" or "wrong" or "slimy" about any of this is entirely a man-made fiction. And in fact, literally nothing about life suggests that a dev is entitled to profits from their games, other than the law. Arguably, life absent of law would suggest that it would be smarter to pirate games as long as there is enough whales to pay for a game.

Your assumption that a dev deserves money because they created it and want to sell it is based on nothing but a societal fiction, like the value of money, or whether or not driving 26 in a 25 is "ok".
The cranky hermit 1 month ago#145
BearShrooms posted...

I think it'd be on you to prove that a game with a demo gets pirated the exact same as a game without. I can tell you for sure that at least 1 person doesn't pirate games with demos. So that statement is false.

You overestimate the statistical relevance of "at least 1 person." As for proof, World of Goo. Any other game with a demo will have similar piracy rates, which the pirates are kind enough to provide.

Why is it on the pro-piracy people to prove it doesn't hurt anything?

Because it's common sense that it would, and illegal to boot.

People liking free stuff in economics is a strawman and has nothing to do with the argument at hand.

You clearly don't even know what a strawman is, and it has everything to do with the argument. People prefer free stuff. Pirated copies are free. Therefore people will prefer pirated copies to paid ones, which means some lost sales. QED.

then a comparison ratio of how many people would've bought it without piracy vs people who did buy it because piracy, which you have literally no way of proving.

There is absolutely no reason to think that "people who did buy it because piracy" is of any significance. And it is provable fact that the vast majority of pirates don't buy their games.

At worst you can assume it's a wash with it neither hurting nor helping.

No, at worst you can assume that piracy is reducing sales by 80%. You absolutely cannot assume that it's a "wash." Not the worst case scenario, not the best case scenario. Free stuff is appealing to nearly everyone, and paying for what you already have is appealing to nearly no one. You would assume that these are equally appealing, which is ridiculous.

Your suggestion being that people who don't get jealous of things they are capable of participating in? Laughable at best, lots of people get angsty and jealous over things they could participate in.

No, your suggestion that people get "jealous" over something that they could participate in easily is what's laughable.

Maybe they are jealous because they are jealous somebody is getting something for free that they feel obligated to pay for

Another idiotic proposal. Why do you think they feel "obligated" to pay for it? There's your reason for being against piracy right there; you just countered your own "ur just jelly" theory.
http://thecrankyhermit.shoutwiki.com
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!

User Info: GTL581

GTL581
1 month ago#146
BearShrooms posted...
But I really want you to answer the slimy thing that I keep asking you. If a dev isn't hurt by the piracy then how is it slimy? How? Because you don't like it? Because they don't like it? They didn't lose anything, they didnt "not gain" anything, they were literally unaffected by it, so how is it slimy? Oh, it's not, it's just that your "opinion" on what entitlement is has something to do with the legality of copyrights.

because you're dodging the price they expect to get payed for the use of their software. it's the act itself, regardless of either good or bad ramifications. the person pirating whatever is deliberately going out of their way to use something for free, when they should otherwise be required to pay for the use of said thing.

are you really that dense? holy s***.

you're right though, law is all made up. fictional. go out and rape and pillage to your heart's content. see how far that gets you. nevermind a little thing called empathy, because that's made up too. all that exists is one's self.
The cranky hermit 1 month ago#147
There is absolutely no situation where you can pirate a game that the developer is selling in your region, but that you didn't buy, and claim for certain that you didn't hurt the developer. Too poor? Maybe you could have saved up for it. Maybe you could have bought a cheaper game, or waited until it was cheaper. Wasn't going to buy it anyway? It's on you to prove that, and you can't. Dislike DRM? Doesn't change the fact that you stiffed the developer, and there are ways around DRM in a legitimately purchased copy. Going to demo it? Great, let me know if you buy it for the same price that it was sold when you stole it; if you don't, then it's on you to prove you wouldn't have bought it otherwise, which of course you can't.
http://thecrankyhermit.shoutwiki.com
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!

BearShrooms
1 month ago#148
GTL581 posted...
BearShrooms posted...

because you're dodging the price they expect to get payed for the use of their software. it's the act itself, regardless of either good or bad ramifications. the person pirating whatever is deliberately going out of their way to use something for free, when they should otherwise be required to pay for the use of said thing.

are you really that dense? holy s***.

you're right though, law is all made up. fictional. go out and rape and pillage to your heart's content. see how far that gets you. nevermind a little thing called empathy, because that's made up too. all that exists is one's self.

So it's their expectation of pay that makes it slimy? Why should they be otherwise required to pay for it? Because the dev expects to be paid for it?

I think I'm starting to understand this part of it. Your argument is that it's slimy to demo a game via piracy, then pay full price for it, because even though the dev ends up getting more money than they would've gotten without piracy, the dev didn't want you to try their game without buying it.

I'm not dense, your argument is just stupid.

And, you know full damn well what I meant with regards to the laws and what not.

BearShrooms
1 month ago#149
The cranky hermit posted...
There is absolutely no situation where you can pirate a game that the developer is selling in your region, but that you didn't buy, and claim for certain that you didn't hurt the developer. Too poor? Maybe you could have saved up for it. Maybe you could have bought a cheaper game, or waited until it was cheaper. Wasn't going to buy it anyway? It's on you to prove that, and you can't. Dislike DRM? Doesn't change the fact that you stiffed the developer, and there are ways around DRM in a legitimately purchased copy. Going to demo it? Great, let me know if you buy it for the same price that it was sold when you stole it; if you don't, then it's on you to prove you wouldn't have bought it otherwise, which of course you can't.

Actually "wasn't going to buy it anyway" doesn't hurt the devs. It's on you to prove them the liars as you are the one of accusing them of lying. Thats how arguments work.

BearShrooms
1 month ago#150
The cranky hermit.

Your entire argumentative premise is based on the assumption that people like free legal stuff therefore harmful piracy is more common than non-harmful piracy. All of this is an assumption based on literally nothing more than your gut assumptions about the way the world works and your strawman arguments about people liking free legal stuff over not-free legal stuff; and literally none of it is worth continuing to reply to.

I mean, how could I even possibly argue with it. You just keep saying "well, duh, you have to assume people like to steal more than they don't like to steal", which, i just, i mean, there isn't a logical response to that. We can argue logical inconsistencies all day but I'm not going to argue with your baseless assumptions.

Also, your entire counter argument about jealousy is incoherent. How does me saying that someone feels jealous of a pirate because the pirate gets the game for free but the jealous person feels obligated to pay counter anything about piracy? What if the jealous person literally only feels obligated to pay because they are afraid of getting caught?
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Why do pirates act lole denuvo is the reasom they pirate

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived