This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do pirates act lole denuvo is the reasom they pirate

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Why do pirates act lole denuvo is the reasom they pirate

User Info: DaedalusEx

DaedalusEx
1 month ago#31
The cranky hermit posted...
like that pseudo-legalistic "piracy isn't theft" argument that gets tossed around by freeloaders desperate to distance themselves from a word loaded with shame.

Conversely, your insistence on marrying the two clearly distinct concepts with loaded language is driven by your personal animus toward pirates. The decisive factor here is that the SCOTUS, the most relevant and highest authority in the land, stated that piracy is distinct from theft. So the desperate one is you.
The cranky hermit 1 month ago#32
DaedalusEx posted...

Conversely, your insistence on marrying the two clearly distinct concepts

They are not "clearly distinct" at all. "Theft" is a broad term covering many distinct sub-concepts. We've gone over this before.

The decisive factor here is that the SCOTUS, the most relevant and highest authority in the land, stated that piracy is distinct from theft.

You mean the one where they said this?
one may colloquially link infringement with some general notion of wrongful appropriation
..and...
it fits but awkwardly

Nowhere will you find an actual SCOTUS ruling that says "piracy is distinct from theft," and even if you could, that would only be relevant if your argument was that they're legally different. Nobody uses legal definitions in day to day language. The SCOTUS carefully pointed that out in pretty clear language - funny how *that* SCOTUS opinion isn't relevant to you.

And here's another SCOTUS opinion, that I'm sure I've showed you before:
...deliberate unlawful copying is no less an unlawful taking of property than garden-variety theft.
http://thecrankyhermit.shoutwiki.com
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!

User Info: rpgian

rpgian
1 month ago#33
Every go through a summer of movies that are just atrocious and every one of them has you wanting to walk out half way through and accost some underpaid and half resistant clerk for a refund?

Piracy has something to do with that for those with the means to afford it anyway. It's a preemptive action to disappointment, yet holding out the hope it might be good.

As to whether they go and pay for it after they determine it doesn't suck or just take the freebie they gave themselves is entirely up to their own morality (and the world is increasingly selfish so it's likely going to be the latter)

User Info: DanPatrick

DanPatrick
1 month ago#34
what do you expect pc gamers are the biggest scumbags among other gamers

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
1 month ago#35
Triple_Aitch posted...
Too poor is never a good excuse. If they have the hardware that can properly run the modern games they are usually pirating than it's clear they spent some money somewhere.

Also these games are not that expensive. And let's be serious not THAT many games come out that a person REALLY REALLY wants.

Save $10 every 2 weeks for 3 months = 4 brand new AAA games a year.

Also this is not taking into account Gifts for birthdays and holidays, Great Indie games (like Cuphead and Hellblade) being priced far below $60, CDKeys.com, Humble Bundle, Green Man Gaming, Free games given out on various platforms throughout the year (like Crazy Taxi right now), and the incredibly obvious Steam Sales.

Gaming is seriously one of the cheapest hobbies, compare it to something like snowboarding or golf.

Too poor... sure.

The worst is when people use publisher practices for justification of theft. I'm not telling people what to do, do what you will, just stop acting like it's somehow right or noble and in anyway justified.

4 games a year? srsly? That's pretty weak.
Typically, when people are too poor to afford a game, it means that the price of the game doesn't justify it's entertainment value in the current market and at the current income.
If you don't make stupid purchasing decisions, you don't regret stupid purchasing decisions.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud

User Info: HeliosMagi

HeliosMagi
1 month ago#36
What if I buy a game legitimately, find that it has really obtrusive DRM, and download a cracked copy so I can play it without the DRM interfering with my experience. Would I still be a pirate?
"I had a classmate who legitimately expected Mario 65 to come out."
"He ate glue."

User Info: GuyKopski

GuyKopski
1 month ago#37
HeliosMagi posted...
What if I buy a game legitimately, find that it has really obtrusive DRM, and download a cracked copy so I can play it without the DRM interfering with my experience. Would I still be a pirate?

Yes you would. Legally speaking at least. If the company in question found out and wanted to take you to court for it they would absolutely be able to.

That's the thing about piracy. People are trying to make it out to be black and white, but it's really black and black. Pirates are stealing stuff just because they can, but these corporations are trying to exploit you, and the law, and would gladly screw over someone who hasn't done anything wrong if doing so would make them a buck. There is no moral right side here, only what the law says is the right side, and it's going to say whatever the rich corporations want it to say.

User Info: DaedalusEx

DaedalusEx
1 month ago#38
The cranky hermit posted...
They are not "clearly distinct" at all.

Being deprived of property and not being deprived of property are rather distinct. I think you'd notice the difference between someone stealing your car and someone copying it, namely by it being in your f***ing driveway or not.

You mean the one where they said this?

You're cherry picking. The court held that copied phonorecords did not constitute stolen property.

one may colloquially link infringement with some general notion of wrongful appropriation

Colloquially link away. I don't care if people use "theft" to refer to piracy in conversation. The issue here is equating the two conceptually.

...deliberate unlawful copying is no less an unlawful taking of property than garden-variety theft.

An opinion of one justice, not the court.

that would only be relevant if your argument was that they're legally different. Nobody uses legal definitions in day to day language.

The law defines property rights. If you defer to law to determine who owns what, you must also defer to the law to determine what constitutes an act of theft.

User Info: Triple_Aitch

Triple_Aitch
1 month ago#39
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Triple_Aitch posted...
Too poor is never a good excuse. If they have the hardware that can properly run the modern games they are usually pirating than it's clear they spent some money somewhere.

Also these games are not that expensive. And let's be serious not THAT many games come out that a person REALLY REALLY wants.

Save $10 every 2 weeks for 3 months = 4 brand new AAA games a year.

Also this is not taking into account Gifts for birthdays and holidays, Great Indie games (like Cuphead and Hellblade) being priced far below $60, CDKeys.com, Humble Bundle, Green Man Gaming, Free games given out on various platforms throughout the year (like Crazy Taxi right now), and the incredibly obvious Steam Sales.

Gaming is seriously one of the cheapest hobbies, compare it to something like snowboarding or golf.

Too poor... sure.

The worst is when people use publisher practices for justification of theft. I'm not telling people what to do, do what you will, just stop acting like it's somehow right or noble and in anyway justified.

4 games a year? srsly? That's pretty weak.
Typically, when people are too poor to afford a game, it means that the price of the game doesn't justify it's entertainment value in the current market and at the current income.
If you don't make stupid purchasing decisions, you don't regret stupid purchasing decisions.

That actually makes it sound even worse, because that is changing the argument from "can't afford the game" to "the game isn't worth $60 so rather than wait for a sale or just not play it I'll just steal it".
"It's going to be legend... Wait for It...
The cranky hermit 1 month ago#40
GuyKopski posted...
but these corporations are trying to exploit you, and the law, and would gladly screw over someone who hasn't done anything wrong if doing so would make them a buck.

What is that even supposed to mean? The corporations are offering a product for an upfront price, and you have a choice whether to buy it or not. You don't need the product, there are plenty of reasonable alternatives, and they're not misrepresenting their product or its terms of use.

No, I don't like being nickel-and-dimed by these corporations, but I am not being exploited. I *know* that if I buy these games on launch I'll be nickel-and-dimed. Anyone who wasn't living under a rock for the past ten years should know that. Nor should intrusive DRM be a surprise to anyone, and how would that be "exploiting" people anyway? Do you think Bobby Kotick gets extra cocaine every time a customer suffers personal inconvenience from DRM?
http://thecrankyhermit.shoutwiki.com
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Why do pirates act lole denuvo is the reasom they pirate

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived