This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do pirates act lole denuvo is the reasom they pirate

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Why do pirates act lole denuvo is the reasom they pirate
The cranky hermit 1 month ago#41
DaedalusEx posted...
Being deprived of property and not being deprived of property are rather distinct.

And nobody said piracy deprives people of property, so this is a red herring.

The court held that copied phonorecords did not constitute stolen property.

Only in the context of interpreting Title 18 U.S.C. 2314. The court did not provide a blanket interpretation of the term "stolen property" or "theft," because courts don't work that way.

Under U.S.C. 2319, copied phonorecords *would* constitute stolen property. Among its amendments are "No Electronic Theft Act." Oddly enough, nobody ever appealed that with "lol, that's not what theft means."

Colloquially link away. I don't care if people use "theft" to refer to piracy in conversation.

Yes you do, because here you are.

The law defines property rights.

Irrelevant. If there were no law defining property rights, there would still be a generally understood concept of it. That's how property laws came to exist in the first place.
http://thecrankyhermit.shoutwiki.com
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!
(message deleted)

User Info: GeminiX7

GeminiX7
1 month ago#43
Because people like to act self-righteous over the most trivial bulls*** on the internet.
MSI Z97| Intel i5-4690 @ 3.5 Ghz | 8GB Cosair Vengence @ 1600 |Radeon R9 390 8GB
Who gave you permission to talk to me, mongrel?

User Info: Dyshonest

Dyshonest
1 month ago#44
The cranky hermit posted...
Dyshonest posted...
It's not theft, though. Nothing is being removed from its location and placed into another.

"Removing from its location and placed into another" is not a requirement for something to be theft. There are a multitude of situations where the term "theft" is used and understood to not mean larceny without this particular incorrect objection being raised; piracy alone brings out this argument.

If someone pirates your game you didn't lose a sale, that person was never going to buy it in the first place or they would have done so.

How can you possibly speak for everyone who ever pirated a game, and claim that nobody has ever pirated a game in order to not have to pay for it?

Oh right, you can't, and you're just being intellectually dishonest, just like that pseudo-legalistic "piracy isn't theft" argument that gets tossed around by freeloaders desperate to distance themselves from a word loaded with shame.
Actually, it is a requirement. For theft.

If you want to keep using that word, you'd better be damn sure it means what you think it does. Piracy is not theft. Copyright infringement (an illegal copy), yes, but not theft. Nothing is removed from one location and unable to be accessed at all.

If you're pirating, obviously you have no desire to buy it. Or are you going to tell me the average carjacker was just about to buy a car too?

Why are people so gung-ho with asinine pro-corporate "logic" nowadays?

User Info: DaedalusEx

DaedalusEx
1 month ago#45
The cranky hermit posted...
And nobody said piracy deprives people of property, so this is a red herring.

Piracy is distinct from theft because it doesn't deprive people of property. Which part of that do you have a problem with?

Under U.S.C. 2319, copied phonorecords *would* constitute stolen property.

Cite the actual language or shut up. I'm not going to play this game with you again where you make these sorts of nonspecific claims that sound authoritative and then I have to spend my time pulling up the details to show you why you're wrong.

Yes you do, because here you are.

I'm here because you're trying to equate the concepts of copyright infringement and theft, not because you casually referred to one as the other.

If there were no law defining property rights, there would still be a generally understood concept of it. That's how property laws came to exist in the first place.

Just like theft laws came to exist after people understood the concept of being deprived of their property.
The cranky hermit 1 month ago#46
Dyshonest posted...
Actually, it is a requirement. For theft.

No it's not.

If you're pirating, obviously you have no desire to buy it. Or are you going to tell me the average carjacker was just about to buy a car too?

If carjacking was just as easy and risk free as piracy, you bet your ass there would be carjackers doing it just so that they don't have to buy the car.

DaedalusEx posted...
Piracy is distinct from theft because it doesn't deprive people of property. Which part of that do you have a problem with?

The part where you assume all kinds of theft deprive people of property. They don't, and you know it.

Cite the actual language or shut up.

I gave you two examples already.
...deliberate unlawful copying is no less an unlawful taking of property than garden-variety theft.
and
No Electronic Theft Act
Want more?

I'm not going to play this game with you again where you make these sorts of nonspecific claims that sound authoritative

Oh, that's rich. You entered this topic doing EXACTLY that.

Just like theft laws came to exist after people understood the concept of being deprived of their property.

So we're agreed that a social concept of stolen property doesn't depend on the law then? Good. Don't bring up half understood pseudo-legalistic arguments to a broad discussion on property rights. Don't bring them up ever again.
http://thecrankyhermit.shoutwiki.com
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!

User Info: Cobra1010

Cobra1010
1 month ago#47
Waytoodeep03 posted...
Lets be honest They would pirate regardless.

Why are they saying they do it because of denuvo or some other drm?

The complainers come from people like me. Who DONT pirate. And have to have s*** installed with my games. Oh yeah and f***ing HITMAN singleplayer game, always online DRM bulls***. I remember 3 nights i couldnt play because their servers were down.
GG Riot - http://i.imgur.com/PinGPhR.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Hs8Y1vQ.png

User Info: Triple_Aitch

Triple_Aitch
1 month ago#48
True, and I understand the complaints.

I just hate when people use those complaints as some sort of moral justification.

There is no moral justification. If you're going to pirate, just accept that it's a ****ty thing to do and move on with your life
"It's going to be legend... Wait for It...

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
1 month ago#49
Triple_Aitch posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Triple_Aitch posted...
Too poor is never a good excuse. If they have the hardware that can properly run the modern games they are usually pirating than it's clear they spent some money somewhere.

Also these games are not that expensive. And let's be serious not THAT many games come out that a person REALLY REALLY wants.

Save $10 every 2 weeks for 3 months = 4 brand new AAA games a year.

Also this is not taking into account Gifts for birthdays and holidays, Great Indie games (like Cuphead and Hellblade) being priced far below $60, CDKeys.com, Humble Bundle, Green Man Gaming, Free games given out on various platforms throughout the year (like Crazy Taxi right now), and the incredibly obvious Steam Sales.

Gaming is seriously one of the cheapest hobbies, compare it to something like snowboarding or golf.

Too poor... sure.

The worst is when people use publisher practices for justification of theft. I'm not telling people what to do, do what you will, just stop acting like it's somehow right or noble and in anyway justified.

4 games a year? srsly? That's pretty weak.
Typically, when people are too poor to afford a game, it means that the price of the game doesn't justify it's entertainment value in the current market and at the current income.
If you don't make stupid purchasing decisions, you don't regret stupid purchasing decisions.

That actually makes it sound even worse, because that is changing the argument from "can't afford the game" to "the game isn't worth $60 so rather than wait for a sale or just not play it I'll just steal it".

If you say so, but at the end of the day, a stupid purchase is a stupid purchase. It's only natural to avoid a stupid purchase.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud

User Info: Triple_Aitch

Triple_Aitch
1 month ago#50
Agreed, but that arguement could really be made for all of gaming, or all hobbies for that matter.

At the end of the day, if the money is THAT big of an issue, then The Witcher 3 isn't a smarter purchase than No Man's Sky. Sure, you would enjoy one a lot more than the other, but neither are smart ways to spend $60 (if money is that big of a concern).

That logic also doesn't entitle theft.
"It's going to be legend... Wait for It...
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Why do pirates act lole denuvo is the reasom they pirate

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived