This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Any idea how this happened?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Any idea how this happened?

User Info: unknown_VS

unknown_VS
2 months ago#11
Thanks everyone for the helpful replies, I think I should probably at least do a clean install of Windows, the laptop also came with 25gb reserved for "Lenovo stuff" which is just wasted space obviously...

But first I'll try to update the graphics driver once again, I'm not sure that worked how it should either last time... And also remove GeForce experience or whatever it's called (could be game ready too?) which is also completely useless in my experience.

JoboHotep posted...
unknown_VS posted...
Ah, huh, ok thanks guys, it just freaked me out a bit, I didn't think it's a just "glitch" that can happen as easily.

Yeah, sometimes stuff like that just happens. Other times, I've noticed stuff like a program (and Windows) closing other processes when it updates, and not starting them again when finished.

It doesn't happen frequently, and is easily fixed by either restarting the process, or rebooting (whichever comes first), but it does happen from time to time.

Could also have been that the video app I've used beforehand (VLC) doesn't work properly with Windows, it's a bit glitchy in general, but I had to use it because windows didn't recognize the file type (blv or something).

I didn't have VLC cause any issues for me, but I only used it a few months. You might check out MPC-HT. A bunch of folks on this board recommended it, so I tried it out a few months ago, and it's my new go-to for video, it might work for you.

I use it, as well as a few other things part of the K-Lite codec pack:

https://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

unknown_VS posted...
(av is Mcafee, never again, lesson learned)

I've not used Mcafee, but from what I read, people don't seem to have a high opinion of it.

I know it's often listed in a tic-box I need to uncheck when installing other programs so it doesn't install on my machine, so that doesn't give me a favorable opinion of it.

You'd be much better with Windows Defender. You might also check out the free version of Avast. I've been using it a few years with no problems.

Regarding VLC, it works mostly fine, but it's a bit slow , sometimes the sound takes a few seconds after the video is already running, or with those blv files it's just pixelated until I restart the video, it just seems overall not very stable. I'll try these 2 things you mentioned, I need a better videoplayer anyways, I'd love to make play lists for example (I know VLC has that option but it doesn't really do what I'm telling it lol).

I have to manually rename my videos with numbers and letters so that Windows movie player plays them in the order I want... >.<

Regarding McAfee... I really feel cheated, first it worked perfectly fine, low ram usage, no annoying pop ups, fast scans... Now after a forced update, it's slow af, doesn't really scan (takes forever, tells me 0 files scanned afterwards ), high ram usage... terrible. The annoying part is to remove it I guess, otherwise I was actually totally happy with windows defender, I mean I only use this laptop for gaming, music, videos, photos, rarely online, I use mostly my phone for internets - I even download drivers and s*** on my phone, so the chances of actually getting a virus on my laptop are pretty low (I suppose? )
"1080 looks great but 2160 looks like real life which makes sense since it's the limit of the human eye."
jdclanc11

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
2 months ago#12
https://youtu.be/DbX7MfWZ6VA
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

User Info: JoboHotep

JoboHotep
2 months ago#13
unknown_VS posted...
(takes forever, tells me 0 files scanned afterwards )

That would have me concerned man, as it just doesn't sound good if it's actually informing you it's not scanning when you tell it to.

Does Mcaffe give the option to boot into safe mode and scan while in safe mode? If it does, you might give that a shot.

If there's malware on your PC causing Mcaffe to not work properly, it might be able to be detected if you're able to scan from safe mode when it hasn't been able to start up yet.

Do you have Windows Defender installed? It might be worth it to run just to see if it finds anything. Otherwise, possibly check out Avast or Malwarebytes. Both have a free version and can possibly detect stuff Mcaffe might miss (especially if it isn't actually scanning anyway).
i5 7600k / Hyper 212 / GIGABYTE GA-Z170M-D3H / 8GB 17000 DDR4 / Radeon R9 280x 3GB / SanDisk Z400s 240GB SSD / EVGA 600W ATX / Windows 10 Home 64 bit

unknown_VS
2 months ago#14
The thing is when this started happening I checked with Mcafee and it's like this for everyone on this version, they say it's "normal", but yes, in reality it's totally f^.

It's like this since 2 months and no fix in sight.
"1080 looks great but 2160 looks like real life which makes sense since it's the limit of the human eye."
jdclanc11

JoboHotep
2 months ago#15
unknown_VS posted...
The thing is when this started happening I checked with Mcafee and it's like this for everyone on this version, they say it's "normal", but yes, in reality it's totally f^.

It's like this since 2 months and no fix in sight.

Well, I guess it's good in the sense Mcafee support is saying it's not odd behavior.

I'd definitely ditch it though, there's no point to using it if it doesn't actually do anything. Even worse, it could end up conflicting with an AV that actually does work.

Don't get me wrong, no AV is going to catch everything, but even Windows Defender will catch a good amount of the stuff that's out there.

Again though, I recommend using a free AV that's active all the time (plenty of reviews out there for research), and I'd also use an ad and script blocker, it's possible to get malware just from a web page loading if a malicious script is running.

I use Ublock Origin for an ad blocker, it's available for most browsers, and works well. For a script blocker, NoScript works well if you're using Firefox or a Mozilla based browser, and someone recently made me aware of Script Safe (which seems to work like NoScript) for folks using a Chromium based browser.

I did a small instructional post on how to use NoScript, and there's more discussion related to script blockers here:

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/916373-pc/75858759

There's no substitute for being careful and staying away from obviously sketchy sites, but malware can show up in all kinds of places you may not think it would, so a decent, free always active antivirus + a solid ad blocker + a script blocker can really help keeping garbage off your machine.
i5 7600k / Hyper 212 / GIGABYTE GA-Z170M-D3H / 8GB 17000 DDR4 / Radeon R9 280x 3GB / SanDisk Z400s 240GB SSD / EVGA 600W ATX / Windows 10 Home 64 bit

unknown_VS
2 months ago#16
Ok, thanks for your input. I've uninstalled the mcaffe software, and also before that I removed then reinstalled the graphics driver, this time from Lenovo, I really had the feeling something was odd with the one from the nvidia site directly and I've got defender running for now, I really like how lightweight it seemingly is - I also have malwarebytes installed which never gave me issues and which afaik also doesn't interfere with Windows defender.

And I'll look into that script block stuff although I mostly use "edge", not sure that's available there.

I use chrome for "maps".
I have Firefox installed but never use it.
If I look something up or need to dl anything I use edge lol. Actually I mostly use edge for printing. I download on my phone, copy then print with edge.

^what I'm trying to say is I don't really think there'll be issues with the way I'm using my laptop? Well, *hopefully*
jdclanc11

JoboHotep
2 months ago#17
unknown_VS posted...
I removed then reinstalled the graphics driver, this time from Lenovo, I really had the feeling something was odd with the one from the nvidia site directly

Yeah, it very well might have been having problems. Graphics cards for laptops sometimes differ quite a bit from their desktop equivalents enough to make a difference in what drivers you can use with it.

If the driver that came with your laptop isn't super old, it's often better to just stick with it. I had a similar problem with a dedicated sound card years ago.

I've also read (on this board and other places) about Windows 10 having issues with laptops, so that could be a factor as well. I couldn't say for certain, as I don't have any personal experience, but I've definitely read about people having various problems related to that.

unknown_VS posted...
I also have malwarebytes installed which never gave me issues and which afaik also doesn't interfere with Windows defender.

Yeah, Malwarebytes is pretty good about playing nice with other AV's. I used to run it with Avast on my old machine, but Malwarebytes was having some problems with it's 3.0 update, so when I got my current machine back in April I didn't reinstall it. Overall, it's rated as a pretty solid AV though.

unknown_VS posted...
And I'll look into that script block stuff although I mostly use "edge", not sure that's available there.

Yeah, Edge came with my Windows 10 install, and I checked it out briefly out of curiosity. I think I remember Ublock Origin being compatible with Edge, you just needed to install Ublock from it's own site if I remember correctly. That may not even be the case now, this was back in April.

For a script blocker, I'm not sure what (if anything) is available for Edge, so some research might be required, or maybe someone else with experience can recommend something.

unknown_VS posted...
^what I'm trying to say is I don't really think there'll be issues with the way I'm using my laptop? Well, *hopefully*

This is just my opinion, but I feel like controlling what scripts are allowed to run on a web page is pretty important.

Again, it's totally possible to get malware on your machine just from a script running from you loading the web page it's on.

Script blockers also help out your browser performance just by what they do. You'd be surprised how many scripts an average web page wants to run that are absolutely no value to you.

It's very common for a web page to have 2-3 scripts it actually needs to function correctly, and another 10+ scripts just for things like ads and tracking.

I usually only have 1-3 tabs open at a time, but other people often have a bunch open. If you're blocking say, 10 scripts on a page (tab), and you have say, 5 tabs open, you're blocking 50 unnecessary functions right there.

That adds up fast, and you're going to notice a definite performance boost.

unknown_VS
1 month ago#18
JoboHotep posted...
unknown_VS posted...
I removed then reinstalled the graphics driver, this time from Lenovo, I really had the feeling something was odd with the one from the nvidia site directly

Yeah, it very well might have been having problems. Graphics cards for laptops sometimes differ quite a bit from their desktop equivalents enough to make a difference in what drivers you can use with it.

If the driver that came with your laptop isn't super old, it's often better to just stick with it. I had a similar problem with a dedicated sound card years ago.

I've also read (on this board and other places) about Windows 10 having issues with laptops, so that could be a factor as well. I couldn't say for certain, as I don't have any personal experience, but I've definitely read about people having various problems related to that.

unknown_VS posted...
I also have malwarebytes installed which never gave me issues and which afaik also doesn't interfere with Windows defender.

Yeah, Malwarebytes is pretty good about playing nice with other AV's. I used to run it with Avast on my old machine, but Malwarebytes was having some problems with it's 3.0 update, so when I got my current machine back in April I didn't reinstall it. Overall, it's rated as a pretty solid AV though.

unknown_VS posted...

Yeah, Edge came with my Windows 10 install, and I checked it out briefly out of curiosity. I think I remember Ublock Origin being compatible with Edge, you just needed to install Ublock from it's own site if I remember correctly. That may not even be the case now, this was back in April.

For a script blocker, I'm not sure what (if anything) is available for Edge, so some research might be required, or maybe someone else with experience can recommend something.

unknown_VS posted...

This is just my opinion, but I feel like controlling what scripts are allowed to run on a web page is pretty important.

Again, it's totally possible to get malware on your machine just from a script running from you loading the web page it's on.

Script blockers also help out your browser performance just by what they do. You'd be surprised how many scripts an average web page wants to run that are absolutely no value to you.

It's very common for a web page to have 2-3 scripts it actually needs to function correctly, and another 10+ scripts just for things like ads and tracking.

I usually only have 1-3 tabs open at a time, but other people often have a bunch open. If you're blocking say, 10 scripts on a page (tab), and you have say, 5 tabs open, you're blocking 50 unnecessary functions right there.

That adds up fast, and you're going to notice a definite performance boost.

Yeah, when I bought this laptop I actually had planned to put windows 8 on it, but then it run really well and I didn't bother, I might still go to a shop and have it done for me.

If I buy backup software, an external harddrive and win 8 myself that would probably be way more expensive than having it done for me at a shop.
jdclanc11

JoboHotep
1 month ago#19
unknown_VS posted...

Yeah, when I bought this laptop I actually had planned to put windows 8 on it, but then it run really well and I didn't bother, I might still go to a shop and have it done for me.

If I buy backup software, an external harddrive and win 8 myself that would probably be way more expensive than having it done for me at a shop.

If you're looking for backup software, you might check out Macrium Reflect:

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

It has a free, and also a paid option, but honestly, the free version gives you so much I've never needed the paid version. It's very easy to use, and there are also tutorial videos from the makers on Youtube.

For an external drive, they're pretty inexpensive now. A friend gifted me a Western Digital My Passport 700GB drive around a couple years ago.

It's the only external HDD I have experience with, but I love it enough that I'm likely gong to get another one, since the first is almost full.

For a Windows 8 license key, I'm not sure where the most inexpensive place to get one is. I've heard other people on this board mention a subreddit where you can buy one for cheap, but I've not used it personally. Hopefully someone else can help with more info about that.

You might check out those options before deciding to have a shop do it for you. Both installing Windows and using backup software (like Macrium Reflect) are honestly pretty easy, and there are lots of good, easy to follow walkthroughs on YouTube.

You might be able to save yourself a good amount of money, and still get exactly what you want.

unknown_VS
1 month ago#20
^Thanks again.

Generally what kind of backup should I make though?
I'd just want to keep my files (pictures, videos, saves, music, other files, log in data, if possible) in the corresponding places - if that's even possible while doing a "downgrade"?

And I suppose I'd need to redownload any games and reinstall any programs I'm using.
jdclanc11
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Any idea how this happened?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived