This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The modding experience has been very underwhelming so far..

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. The modding experience has been very underwhelming so far..

User Info: Lum_Yatsura

Lum_Yatsura
1 month ago#31
The raw untamed nature is just how mods are.

Random people with potentially no professional experience in programming, art, acting, or any other relevant field. While also free of many restrictions that'd be forced by ratings boards, corporate executives, et al. Though exceeding the limits of the law or tastefulness risks dooming a mod's acceptance.
https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1124-lums-ufo-comedy-anime-and-manga

User Info: SubjectNineteen

SubjectNineteen
1 month ago#32
I love using mods, personally, but there is quite a massive learning curve involved as far as getting them to work nicely together. Badly made mod can be buggy at best, or break the game at worst, so I tend to avoid overly ambitious mods, and read EVERYTHING I can on any mod I download. Bug reports, posts on the mods' Nexus Mods page, forum posts, everything. So far I've had only one mod result in random CTDs, an animal follower mod, but I'd classify that as bordering on the "overly ambitious" type of mod I mentioned earlier. When I don't use the follower, I don't CTD anymore.

I have 50 mods for Fallout 4, 49 of which are installed. And almost all of them are for new equipment, craftable items, or cosmetic enhancements. I have two patches, and one that lets you tame most of the animals or creatures in the game as an additional follower. It's...uh...slightly buggy. It works about 9/10ths of the time, but will CTD that remaining 1/10th of the time, so I'm not using it right now. I'll try it again later.

I don't like quest mods, just personally, as I like experiencing a game's story as it was intended. Plus, in my opinion, no fanmade quest can remotely compare to anything to pros can make in a AAA game like Fallout 4. I could be wrong, but frankly, I'd just as soon not change the core game. Crafting and cosmetics, sure. That's essential for me. But altering the fundamental experience of the game feels like too much.

Anyway, here's the thing about Fallout 4: I hated it. I played it for about 20 hours or more on the PS4 and was bored. Then I had a major plot point spoiled, and that was the nail in the coffin that made me throw up my hands and say: "f*** this game. I'm done." What was more, was that I thought the crafting system was over-hyped and limited. More so, I thought the settlement building system was even more over-hyped and even more limited. So, I stopped playing.

Fast forward about two years to me building a gaming PC. I started the game fresh, at 4K, as near to 60 FPS in most circumstances at a mix of Ultra and High settings (it dropped to about 40 in combat, IIRC; I've since dropped everything to high, but haven't ran fresh benchmarks), with all draw distances maxed: The game is much better looking, and thus more visually appealing. But the core game is the same.

So, I looked into modding, and after TONS of research, I started adding mods. Again, 90% of them are for new gear, the ability to craft all vanilla items and gear (mostly for craftable Alien Blaster Ammo and Cryo Cells), and cosmetic items (weapon belts and harnesses, equipable smokeables, etc.), and new craftable buildings and objects for your settlements.

The most radical one, Armorsmith Extended (AE) -- which itself requires Armor and Weapon Keywords Community Resource (AWKCR) -- is a complete overhaul of the in-game armor and clothing modding system that lets you add new armor weaves to any outfit or armor, whether they be vanilla, in-game assets, or modded add-in armor or outfits that are compatible with AE.

The vanilla crafting options are all intact, so you don't need to use the new weaves, but now you can add viable defensive weaves to even regular clothes, and run around the Wasteland in nothing but, say, the Sweater Vest and Slacks outfit and a Chef's Hat, but have a defense of 80, with the right materials and Perks. Can you make an absurdly strong outfit? Hell yeah, but with the game's level scaling, I'm still getting killed in tough fights. I'm level 38 now, I think, and have been conservative with armor mods, plus ballistic fiber is REALLY f***ing hard to find. Thankfully, a few vendors sell it.

Anyway, now I can't stop playing. I'm 168 hours in, and I have only done one story mission...still. But, the mods have made the game so fun, that I just do sidequests, wander, customize my settlements, and dick around.

I have to make a second post to close this out, as I don't have enough characters here.
RAM: 512 kB Chip-RAM| CPU: Motorola 68000| Graphics: 320x200 (32 or 4096 colors)|
Sound: 8 bit 4 channels Stereo, 29Khz| Floppydrive: 880kB| OS: Kickstart 1.3

User Info: SubjectNineteen

SubjectNineteen
1 month ago#33
Oh, and it's a small thing, but if I didn't have Armorsmith Extended, I would never have seen this:

https://i.imgur.com/RQ63TDS.jpg

Yes, that's Mama Murphy, an elderly junkie, using a pommel horse with a flamethrower on her back, while Marcy Long (another settler, and an absolute b****), who is presently off camera (good), is complaining (which is pretty much her hobby). The flamer on Mama Murphy's back is from Armorsmith Extended (but uses the default flamer in-game mesh). It's the only mod being displayed in the picture, but this pic's goofiness wouldn't have been possible without it.

The pommel horse is a vanilla, in-game item from one of the DLC packs. Settlers just use it randomly. The game doesn't distinguish between settlers; it just lets any random human or ghoul settler use it -- even an elderly drug user who literally complains about getting around at one point and tasks you with building her a custom fitted chair. I have since talked her into sobering up. I guess it worked, hence the pommel horse... This is the second time I've caught her using it.

Anyway, in closing, I have more mods on the docket already, this time for settler behavior. Then...that's probably as far as I'll mod the game for now. I'm damn happy with the game now that it's been modded. Like I said, I hated it before, but I love it now. I doubt I'll mod any other games. I liked Fallout 3 and New Vegas well enough on their own, but Fallout 4 felt more...I don't know...restrictive, I guess, if that makes sense. Plus, modding is a lot of work and takes even more time and research to get to work, but, in my humble opinion, it pays off in dividends. But, your mileage may vary.
RAM: 512 kB Chip-RAM| CPU: Motorola 68000| Graphics: 320x200 (32 or 4096 colors)|
Sound: 8 bit 4 channels Stereo, 29Khz| Floppydrive: 880kB| OS: Kickstart 1.3

User Info: dermoratraken

dermoratraken
1 month ago#34
ElDudorino posted...
A lot of developers release unbalanced stuff. And it's generally not because they 'intended' it to be that way; it just happens due to poor-quality testing. What's wrong with fixing the dev's mistake?

Not saying anything is wrong, i just don't find it enjoyable to switch to some other person's arbitrarily set rules.

User Info: SilentHawk29

SilentHawk29
1 month ago#35
dermoratraken posted...
I don't enjoy modding at all. I'd rather play what the developer intended than some random person on the internet. The new ability and balance mods are probably the worst.

There's quite a few of those "random persons on the internet" that are actually game developers. In fact, there's a huge combat overhaul mod for The Witcher 2 that was made by a developer at CD Projekt Red.

Then you have mods like Team Fortress, Counter-Strike, and Garry's Mod that became full fledged games.
Steam - SilentHawk29 || Z170-A, G1 GTX 1080, i5 6600K, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4
My car (on fire): http://i.imgur.com/ZoeZJ1b.jpg

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
1 month ago#36
SilentHawk29 posted...

There's quite a few of those "random persons on the internet" that are actually game developers

I wouldn't say "quite a few" as the vast majority of mods/user created content are made by people with very little experience/talent, but there are certainly diamonds in the rough here and there.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii-U | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES

User Info: myztikrice

myztikrice
1 month ago#37
ElDudorino posted...
although there was one that seemed really interesting for either Oblivion or Skyrim that was like a total conversion mod and I think the person got hired by Bethesda after they made it? That or I dreamed the whole thing up. Never played it.

It was just a large quest mod, not a total conversion, it has all of the problems the OP mentioned (Arnold voice actor, empty lands, boring quests), and he was hired by Bungie not Bethesda
"Why are you always smiling?"
"'Cause it's all so f***in' hysterical."

User Info: ElDudorino

ElDudorino
1 month ago#38
myztikrice posted...
ElDudorino posted...
although there was one that seemed really interesting for either Oblivion or Skyrim that was like a total conversion mod and I think the person got hired by Bethesda after they made it? That or I dreamed the whole thing up. Never played it.

It was just a large quest mod, not a total conversion, it has all of the problems the OP mentioned (Arnold voice actor, empty lands, boring quests), and he was hired by Bungie not Bethesda

OK so I didn't dream it up, just didn't remember it very well. You know, this same thing happened with me and the movie Total Recall. And that had Arnold in it too, coincidentally enough!
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. The modding experience has been very underwhelming so far..

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived