This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you think game developers are purposely making their game more demanding?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Do you think game developers are purposely making their game more demanding?

User Info: Terrorknight3

Terrorknight3
1 month ago#1
Just so new version of video card can sell?

I mean graphics have reached a plateau and I don't see a lot of games in 2017 that looks better than the Witcher 3.

Yet newer games always need the current hard-ware to get 60+ FPS in max settings.

User Info: dennis941012

dennis941012
1 month ago#2
what new games requires better specs than witcher 3?
3DS FC: 5214-9942-1912

User Info: Terrorknight3

Terrorknight3
1 month ago#3
dennis941012 posted...
what new games requires better specs than witcher 3?

in 2015, the top video cards were the 970,980

In 2017, the top video cards are the 1070, 1080.

What's the point of buying current year video card then?

User Info: CursedPanther

CursedPanther
1 month ago#4
Crysis 1 took another 2 generations of top tier GPU to max out on 1080p and maintain a 60fps. Yet you didn't hear mongrels blaming and flaming Crytek for it being 'unoptimized' back in those days.

User Info: Requiem

Requiem
1 month ago#5
No.
The games are becoming more demanding because that's what customers demand for AAA titles.
Copyright free literature available at http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page... otherwise known as Tex-Mex

User Info: arleas

arleas
1 month ago#6
I'd personally rather have a game that's more demanding than current hardware can max out so that a few years down the road I'd see improvement. Some people want to be able to max everything out right away though.

Maybe Developers should release the game with gimped settings so that it's maxed out right away, and then 2 years later they reveal the unlocked settings in a patch and suddenly you need new hardware to ultra-max it. You'd have to do it in a way that wasn't explicitly available to anyone with a little curiosity and basic hacking tools though or it might be discovered too soon and then we'd have people crying that the game isn't maxxed out.

But really, I expect 4K and VR to be pushing the limits of what modern cards can do and really requiring a card that isn't out yet to reach the full potential.
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
FC: 3325-5440-8407 Dream Code:5E00-0013-7C61

User Info: BrokenMachine85

BrokenMachine85
1 month ago#7
The GTX xx70 cards and above can typically max out games of each gen typically at 1080p.

You have to go for a better card for higher resolutions though. If you're willing to max out the next gens AAA games without upgrading you just have to lower the resolution. That's what I did for Deus Ex Mankind Divided, I went 1440p as I still had a GTX 980 Stix at the time.
Ryzen 1600X @ 4GHz | MSI B350 'Tomahawk' | Corsair H90 | 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 | Palit GTX 1080 OC @ 2GHz | 28" Acer Predator 4K G-SYNC 1ms

User Info: KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade
1 month ago#8
Some may be, but most are not.
Are you a MexiCAN or a MexiCAN'T - Johnny Depp 'Once Upon A Time in Mexico'

User Info: SinisterSlay

SinisterSlay
1 month ago#9
In a general sense, yes. But there is nothing devious about it.

With made up numbers, cause I'm not bothering to find real numbers....
Let's say this year, computers can handle 2000 polygons. So as the developer i reduce my 250,000,000 polygons models down to 2000. Never mind that we've had models this detailed since the year 2002. Computers can't run them at more than 1 frame a minute, so we have to reduce them.
Next year, computers are more powerful, so now i reduce my models to 4000 polygons. Yay doubled the quality. But my new professional tools made it with 350,000,000 polygons.
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence

User Info: Born Lucky

Born Lucky
1 month ago#10
Except . . they're only demanding because the devs are incompetent.

We have modern games that "require" a 1060 , that don't look as good as games from 5 years ago.
Corsair 550D/ Gigabyte Z170X Gaming3 / Vengeance 16GB DDR4 2666 / i-5 6600k / MSI Twin Frozr VI GTX 1060 / Thermaltake NiC C5
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Do you think game developers are purposely making their game more demanding?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived